confused about restoring a past image save

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
dominickpa
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:26 am

confused about restoring a past image save

Post by dominickpa »

Looking at the online tutorial (which seems dated) to restore an image, I see the statement "The image file you use when restoring cannot reside on the target drive." which doesn't make sense to me.

If I open IFW on my computer I am given the choice in automatic to restore using my last backup image, and the message that using it would delete the current information on the drive and I assume replace it with this last image restore point in my Win7 OS. Wouldn't this reside on my target drive (C) as I have no other partitions? Or should I use the DOS disk to do this, which also indicates I can't restore to an operating system already on my hard drive?

The pdf manual is also confusing as it refers to BartPe as what should be used because it uses a "core Windows environment". Obviously, I am not tech savvy to understand all these terms, but could follow directions if needed.

Basically, I just want to restore my computer to an earlier time, as a system restore is not working to get me to that earlier time. So do I really need to go through this BartPe software to do this :?:
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: confused about restoring a past image save

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

I think that's referring to the fact that you can't have the image file (the .TBI being restored) located on the same partition that's being restored. The automatic restore will restore to the original location if it's found. Otherwise, it will prompt for the destination. You can't restore the running Windows partition from Windows. You'll need to boot into another OS (if multi-booting) or use IFD, IFL, or TBWinRE/PE.

No need for BartPE with Windows 7. Use TBWinRE. It's installed with IFW or you can get it from the tutorial: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... torial.htm
dominickpa
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:26 am

Re: confused about restoring a past image save

Post by dominickpa »

Still need clarification. Your last sentence said I need to use TBWinRE, but the sentence before this said to use IFD? Is IFD the same as using the DOS CD? Which one should I use?? Boot from the DOS CD I made when first getting IFW, and install the .TBI image from my external hard drive where it is stored on to my computer with the hard drive which it was used to be made, or try to use TBWinRE??

In other words, I get IFW, create a DOS CD, create a full backup on an external hard drive and create backups on this external hard drive with changes over time. Now I want to use one of those backups with the changes over time to restore my computer to that time...
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: confused about restoring a past image save

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You can use whichever boot media you prefer. You can't restore the running Windows partition while Windows is running. You have to boot to a different OS (e.g. another Windows installation on a multi-boot system) or boot to the TeraByte boot media (e.g. IFD, IFL, or TBWinRE/PE).

Using TBWinRE is generally the easiest if you prefer using IFW. However, there's nothing wrong with using IFD or IFL for the restore. Some people try all three and use the one that restores the quickest.

TBWinRE is built using the installed WinRE (included with Windows 7 & 8). My point with BartPE is that when using Windows 7 there is no reason to go to the trouble to create a BartPE disc (which requires an XP source). Just run the TBWinRE script.
dominickpa
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:26 am

Re: confused about restoring a past image save

Post by dominickpa »

You state "You have to boot to a different OS (e.g. another Windows installation on a multi-boot system) or boot to the TeraByte boot media (e.g. IFD, IFL, or TBWinRE/PE)." OR boot to the TeraByte boot media IFD? Does IFD refer to Image For DOS? Therefore, if I use my DOS disk, or TBWinRE/PE, I can expect the same results, although the times may vary to complete the process? Otherwise, why would I want to run script for TBWinRE/PE, especially since I don't know what that means

Please keep the answer simple, as I said I made the image for DOS disk, put the full backup and consequent additions on an external hard drive, and THINK that booting from this disk and installing over my current computer hard drive will get the results I want.

While your software and documentation seems outstanding for tech savvy users, some simple instructions for the rest of us are needed without all the varied and possible options!
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: confused about restoring a past image save

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

IFD = Image for DOS
IFL = Image for Linux
IFW = Image for Windows
TBWinRE = Boot media based on WinRE
TBWinPE = Boot media based on WinPE

I linked the TBWinRE tutorial page previously. Please look there if you need details on it. The TBWinRE script just creates the TBWinRE boot media. This script is available from the tutorial and also from the installed IFW.

You can use any of the TeraByte boot media (IFD, IFL, TBWinRE/PE) to restore your backup image of your Windows partition. They are all compatible with the backup images created with any of them.

If you just want to use the IFD boot disc you created, that's fine. Boot to it and do the restore. You do not have to create any other boot media if IFD works for you -- the others are available if you need them or want to compare speeds, etc. For example, if you have a USB 3.0 drive you likely won't see USB 3.0 speeds using IFD.

Some systems may not work as well with IFD as they do with IFL or TBWinRE. IFL boots into Linux while TBWinRE boots into WinRE (Windows-based) -- both of which provide more hardware support.
Bob Coleman
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: confused about restoring a past image save

Post by Bob Coleman »

dominickpa wrote:
> Looking at the online tutorial (which seems dated) to restore an image, I
> see the statement "The image file you use when restoring cannot reside
> on the target drive." which doesn't make sense to me.
>

This doesn't apply to you since subsequent posts have stated that the image file(s) is/are on an external disk.

What that statement is saying is that if the image files(s) were on the Windows partition that you want to restore to, you couldn't do that.
dominickpa
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:26 am

Re: confused about restoring a past image save

Post by dominickpa »

Thanks, I think I understand this. At any rate the restoring process is being tried as I write...
Post Reply