IFW Help quesion

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
krum09
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:25 am

IFW Help quesion

Post by krum09 »

I just picked up this Imaging for windows; I have a could of questions on the restore;
whats the difference when I select drive vs just the partition ?
is there any differences between the 2 ?

Thanks
Chris
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: IFW Help quesion

Post by TeraByte Support »

Yes, a big difference. Do the entire drive instead of just the partition
unless you know what you're doing or you need to keep other partitions
already on the target.

If you do just a single partition, you' may need to use restore first track
or install standard mbr, set active, potentially update boot partition if
your boot partition is separate from the OS partition (you should ensure you
had backed that up as well).

"krum09" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

I just picked up this Imaging for windows; I have a could of questions on
the restore;
whats the difference when I select drive vs just the partition ?
is there any differences between the 2 ?

Thanks
Chris

Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: IFW Help quesion

Post by Brian K »

I'm confused about this too. Chris is restoring a partition image and not an Entire drive image. I've always thought both of the above screenshots are equivalent.
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: IFW Help quesion

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Maybe meant in regards to the backup and restore procedure as a whole. In the case of a Partial backup you'll get the same restore options either way. If your backup is of the entire drive you'll get the the full disk restore options if the drive is selected or the partition options if a partition is selected (or the multi-partition options if multiple partitions are selected).
krum09
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:25 am

Re: IFW Help quesion

Post by krum09 »

Support answered my question;
I made a backup of 1 of 3 partitions;
I went to restore it I had an option like the screen shot;
So I if I restore just one of the three partitions I would do like Screen capture 2 disk Highlighted in grey;
If I restore whole disk all partitions I would select whole disk.
Since I only image by partitions I would only select partitions instead of whole disk;

I am running Bootit for boot partition 0
windows 7 Games Partition 1
windows 7 Apps partition 2
my boot manager BCD for each partition are on same as the OS;
So when I boot into games; I have bootit Hide my Windows 7 Apps and Hide bootit
When I boot into Apps Bootit hids Games and bootit
I used to run it like that for awhile, and used system commander till I read about IFW from Brian_K so I looked into more and thought what the heck picked up the bundle. removed system commander and installed bootit,
off I went, I used to use Acronis/Paragon/Active Disk Image until I saw the light...
so Thanks to Brian_K you converted me.

Chris
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: IFW Help quesion

Post by Brian K »

Chris, are you routerguy99?

I don't think you can do an Entire drive restore as you have only backed up one partition. But there's nothing wrong with what you have done.
krum09
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:25 am

Re: IFW Help quesion

Post by krum09 »

Yes that's me. also I found out the hard way when I tried, it really didn't work that well.
selecting the partitions works the best. also playing with scripts. I am learning alot and finding out how cool this program really is.

Chris
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: IFW Help quesion

Post by Brian K »

Welcome to the forum. In case you haven't seen this, it has a huge amount of interesting material.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: IFW Help quesion

Post by TeraByte Support »

They are the same in the picture above (I typically use a newsreader so no screen shots). That is not "entire drive" .. that is "partial drive" which means the entire drive was not backed up. When there is one item then it doesn't matter on a partial drive backup.
Post Reply