Exclude File & Folder help!!!
Exclude File & Folder help!!!
Hi, it is possible to exclude from a full backup a directory with subdirectories and files? In my case I would like to exclude the following path C: \ Users \ Andrew \ Documents \ Music \. Is this possible? I should do with the command / exlist = [k] \ Users \ Andrew \ Documents \ Music \? Thank you.
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: Exclude File & Folder help!!!
The /exlist option works with a filename, not the actual exclusion. For example, create a text file (C:\myexcludes.txt) and then use /exlist=c:\myexcludes.txt as a parameter for the backup (run it from the command line). For example:
imagew /b /v /d:w0@0x01 /f:e:\mybackup /exlist=c:\myexcludes.txt
The contents of the "myexcludes.txt" file would need to be the following to exclude everything in the Music folder (including sub-folders):
[k]\Users\Andrew\Documents\Music\ >
The IFW log will note the exclusions so you can check there to make sure it got applied.
imagew /b /v /d:w0@0x01 /f:e:\mybackup /exlist=c:\myexcludes.txt
The contents of the "myexcludes.txt" file would need to be the following to exclude everything in the Music folder (including sub-folders):
[k]\Users\Andrew\Documents\Music\ >
The IFW log will note the exclusions so you can check there to make sure it got applied.
Re: Exclude File & Folder help!!!
Thank you! It works perfectly. Greetings from Bressanone - South Tyrol - Italy. Ciaooo -- Grazie Paul

Re: Exclude File & Folder help!!!
Can this functionality be included in the GUI?
--
Cheers
DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
--
Cheers
DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Re: Exclude File & Folder help!!!
Great feature!
No doubt you're aware, but IFW adds a "Warning" to the Event Viewer when using this feature. I know (now) that you can modify this behavior globally with another switch, but should /exlist be issuing a warning in the first place?
Also, the documentation could use mention of whether /exlist needs quotes if the path of "myexcludes.txt" (or whatever you name it) includes spaces. I used them and it worked, but I'm not sure if it would have without them.
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> The /exlist option works with a filename, not the actual exclusion. For example,
> create a text file (C:\myexcludes.txt) and then use /exlist=c:\myexcludes.txt as a
> parameter for the backup (run it from the command line). For example:
> imagew /b /v /d:w0@0x01 /f:e:\mybackup /exlist=c:\myexcludes.txt
>
> The contents of the "myexcludes.txt" file would need to be the following to
> exclude everything in the Music folder (including sub-folders):
> [k]\Users\Andrew\Documents\Music\ >
>
> The IFW log will note the exclusions so you can check there to make sure it got
> applied.
No doubt you're aware, but IFW adds a "Warning" to the Event Viewer when using this feature. I know (now) that you can modify this behavior globally with another switch, but should /exlist be issuing a warning in the first place?
Also, the documentation could use mention of whether /exlist needs quotes if the path of "myexcludes.txt" (or whatever you name it) includes spaces. I used them and it worked, but I'm not sure if it would have without them.
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> The /exlist option works with a filename, not the actual exclusion. For example,
> create a text file (C:\myexcludes.txt) and then use /exlist=c:\myexcludes.txt as a
> parameter for the backup (run it from the command line). For example:
> imagew /b /v /d:w0@0x01 /f:e:\mybackup /exlist=c:\myexcludes.txt
>
> The contents of the "myexcludes.txt" file would need to be the following to
> exclude everything in the Music folder (including sub-folders):
> [k]\Users\Andrew\Documents\Music\ >
>
> The IFW log will note the exclusions so you can check there to make sure it got
> applied.
Re: Exclude File & Folder help!!!
On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 05:13:36 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
DrTeeth disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>Can this functionality be included in the GUI?
Please, pretty please, with bells on
.
--
Cheers,
DrT
** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
DrTeeth disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>Can this functionality be included in the GUI?
Please, pretty please, with bells on
--
Cheers,
DrT
** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
Re: Exclude File & Folder help!!!
DrT,
Has the Exclude function been working well for you? I've tried it a few times without issues.
Has the Exclude function been working well for you? I've tried it a few times without issues.
Re: Exclude File & Folder help!!!
Hi Brian,
I have not used it. I find the IfW command line and its syntax scary*and limit myself to the GUI, which fits my needs 99.9% of the time.
I would like, as you may have guessed, for the functionality to be available from within the GUI, even if that option had to call a simple text file.
*I also find that the documentation is written badly. It explains what to do to activate and deactivate a feature, but does not explain enough about a feature for one to decide if one wants to us it or not. I have an aversion to text books and documentation that are written in this style.
Regards
DrT
I have not used it. I find the IfW command line and its syntax scary*and limit myself to the GUI, which fits my needs 99.9% of the time.
I would like, as you may have guessed, for the functionality to be available from within the GUI, even if that option had to call a simple text file.
*I also find that the documentation is written badly. It explains what to do to activate and deactivate a feature, but does not explain enough about a feature for one to decide if one wants to us it or not. I have an aversion to text books and documentation that are written in this style.
Regards
DrT
Re: Exclude File & Folder help!!!
DrTeeth wrote:
>
> I have not used it. I find the IfW command line and its syntax scary*and
> limit myself to the GUI, which fits my needs 99.9% of the time.
>
DrT,
I'm the opposite. I run IFW from batch files 99% of the time. Would you like some help with a batch file? That will lead you to Exclude if you desire.
>
> I have not used it. I find the IfW command line and its syntax scary*and
> limit myself to the GUI, which fits my needs 99.9% of the time.
>
DrT,
I'm the opposite. I run IFW from batch files 99% of the time. Would you like some help with a batch file? That will lead you to Exclude if you desire.
Re: Exclude File & Folder help!!!
Thanks for the offer Brian. If you are in North London we could do business. I would need personalised tuition so I could fully understand what was fully going on. Not asking for an online freebee, rather some sort of deal. Mail dr-teeth {at} mail.com for your rates.