I have installed a recent version for BIBM, and during its setup I chose to have the EMBRM on both the two disks in the system (MBR Legacy) and unlimited partitions.
Till now I have installed only Kubuntu 24.04, and while configuring the Edit Boot Menu for that OS, I placed the EMBR partition in the MBR Details section, besides the root/boot and swap partitions.
All is working successfully, but for the future OS installations I'd prefer to have the possibility to use all the 4 available primary partitions in MBR Details section, so I wonder if (or not) it is mandatory to have the EMBR partition included in the MBR Details section.
In other simple words, if I delete the EMBR item from the MBR Details list, Kubuntu will continue to boot/work?
Sorry for the simple question, but I have checked both the manual and deeply in the forum and I was not able to find a related convincent answer.
barrow
Clarifications on EMBR
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Clarifications on EMBR
That is actually the EMBRM partition. It doesn't need to be included, ensure you read the overview for first time users. It's in the manual as well as here: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... ime-users/
Re: Clarifications on EMBR
Thank a lot for the valid support.
I've tried to apply your suggestion and is does work.
Really speaking, I had read the overview for first time users, even if it is not explained the role/functionality of the EMBRM partition there, and since I'm a picky guy, I didn't want to destroy my system by making irrational actions.
Anyway, the most important point here is that your suggestion does work, even if I'd like to know more in detail the functionality of EMBRM partition.
Thanks again for your help.
I've tried to apply your suggestion and is does work.
Really speaking, I had read the overview for first time users, even if it is not explained the role/functionality of the EMBRM partition there, and since I'm a picky guy, I didn't want to destroy my system by making irrational actions.
Anyway, the most important point here is that your suggestion does work, even if I'd like to know more in detail the functionality of EMBRM partition.
Thanks again for your help.
Re: Clarifications on EMBR
barrow,barrow wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2026 7:11 am if I delete the EMBR item from the MBR Details list, Kubuntu will continue to boot/work?
Delete is the wrong term. "Clear" is what is required. In the MBR Details section you will use Fill and Clear to setup the partitions needed for that particular Boot Item. Each Boot Item has its own MBR. For example, let's say you installed Win11 as a multi-boot with your Linux. The MBR for Win11 would only need one partition, the Win11 partition. The other 3 slots would be empty.
When you Clear a partition from the MBR, that partition remains in the EMBR. You can put the partition back in the MBR by using Fill.
Re: Clarifications on EMBR
@ Brian,
thanks a lot for your caveat. I'm very sorry for not having used the more correct term "clear" in the context of MBR Details section.
At any rate, I'd take this opportunity to ask you for a reference where the concept of EMBR Manager is comprehensively explained in some details.
thanks a lot for your caveat. I'm very sorry for not having used the more correct term "clear" in the context of MBR Details section.
At any rate, I'd take this opportunity to ask you for a reference where the concept of EMBR Manager is comprehensively explained in some details.
Re: Clarifications on EMBR
@ Brian,
thank you. Very interesting!
thank you. Very interesting!