Page 1 of 1

[REQ]: Asked for restore during boot before, but thought I'd request it again

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2026 12:02 pm
by Mrx
A while back I have requested the feature to restore during reboot (similar to how ChkDsk is done if you do it when Windows is running).

I Love the flexibility that Terabyte product's offer and know there is the option to use BootIt and BootNow UEFI but, it needs to be setup, and for a quick undo of changes/restore, it would be nice to be able to use IFW to restore an image to C:, when in Windows, and have IFW reboot in, do the restore, and boot into Win, WITHOUT the extra seup needed to do it with IFL (on separate partition) + BootNow UEFI .

Much like the Track Writes feature + MetaData Restore, where you don't always recommend to use them, the same caveat's would probably apply to Restore During Reboot feature, but it would be a nice feature to have, for simplicity.

Re: [REQ]: Asked for restore during boot before, but thought I'd request it again

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2026 10:04 pm
by Brian K
Mrx,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your message but you can use IFW to do "automated" restores. It's been available for some years. You initiate the OS restore in Windows, the computer reboots into TBWinRE, does the restore and reboots into Windows.

Re: [REQ]: Asked for restore during boot before, but thought I'd request it again

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2026 12:02 pm
by Mrx
Thanks for info. Brian - Wasn't aware of that. Having jip with my current main system, so doing a few backup's/restore's - TBU should've/should promote that feature more heavily.

Would still like Nt API restore, like DS, on reboot though, as bit faster and going for optimal speed for this use-case.

Appreciate your help/knowledge - Thanks. Have a great week!

Re: [REQ]: Asked for restore during boot before, but thought I'd request it again

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2026 1:42 pm
by Mrx
Would also Love it if TB could make BOOTFILE wok on UEFI systems which can't do Legacy boot in BIOS.

There are a few bootfile file's...

bootfile64.exe
bootfile.exe
bootfile.efi

I would prefer this option as IFL is faster, although still testing IFW Perfomance Options: Ovelapped IO option made massive diffeence on win10 PCIe 4.0 M.2 system.

Understand easoning fo befoe IFW4, due to suppoting olde system's, so going for lowest common denominator.

V4+ now only support Win7SP1+/Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 , so would like to see some of these default setting's optimised for V4+ - Just makes IFW look slow in compaison to IFL. Don't know all the detail's behind it though ?

Re: [REQ]: Asked for restore during boot before, but thought I'd request it again

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2026 4:19 pm
by TeraByte Support

Re: [REQ]: Asked for restore during boot before, but thought I'd request it again

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2026 8:57 am
by Mrx
Great, if it does. I asked before here and was told it didn't work...

viewtopic.php?p=25967#p25967

Re: [REQ]: Asked for restore during boot before, but thought I'd request it again

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2026 9:13 pm
by Brian K
Mrx wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2026 8:57 am Great, if it does.
Mrx,

It's brilliant. The bootfile method. I tested it earlier this year and did ten automatic restores. My tbs restore script was...

Code: Select all

sub main()
  imagename="11_01"
  exec("/tbu/imagel --r --uy --d:{C877E477-B86F-5A4A-B5FA-416628000000} --f:{018EA340-6246-11EC-96FC-E0D55E8553D4}@0x3:^"/TeraByte_TBI_Backups/" # imagename # "^" --sp:0x1,0x2,0x3,0x4 --rb:4 --wco", 1)
end sub
 

Re: [REQ]: Asked for restore during boot before, but thought I'd request it again

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2026 5:53 am
by Mrx
Thanks @Brian K! Trust you had a decent weekend ? :)

As per other thread, any tip's on optimising/minimising IFL boot-up/down speed for max restore speed ?

Re: [REQ]: Asked for restore during boot before, but thought I'd request it again

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2026 6:05 am
by Brian K
I use Nonet IFL. It takes just over 20 seconds to load.