How are drive numbers assigned in Partition Work?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal, BootIt UEFI and PartWork for Windows
Post Reply
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: How are drive numbers assigned in Partition Work?

Post by TeraByte Support »

it's from the BIOS. Typically they make the booted drive HD0. For UEFI the program just assigns the number based on the order UEFI returns the drives available.
Bob Coleman
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: How are drive numbers assigned in Partition Work?

Post by Bob Coleman »

Alfrristian wrote: Wed Oct 08, 2025 3:15 am Hi everyone,

I’ve got one internal SSD and a USB-connected external hard drive.
While checking in BIU Partition Work, I noticed something unexpected — the external HDD is listed as Drive 0, while the internal SSD shows up as Drive 1.

Out of curiosity, what determines how these drive numbers are assigned? Is there a specific order or rule that the software follows?

Thanks for any clarification!
I have exactly the same configuration and found this surprising also, but, as you say, it's just curiosity.
Post Reply