Restore WinXP to a different partition
Restore WinXP to a different partition
I've installed BootIt Bare Metal 2.07 and created 4 partitions. Then, I've installed Windows XP in partition 4. Using Image for DOS, I've created an image of it which I restored to partition 1. Booting the restored Windows XP from partition 1 first shows that autochk is missing and later stops with error 0xC000021A BSOD.If I restore that image to the original partition 4, Windows XP boots without errors. What settings should be changed in Image for ... to ensure that Windows XP will boot from its non-original partition?
Re: Restore WinXP to a different partition
Are you using Limited Primaries? If so, try unlimited primaries and in Boot Edit use the same partition slot for each WinXP. The slot that works for your original WinXP. Naturally you will only have one WinXP in each Boot Edit.
Re: Restore WinXP to a different partition
Thank you for your prompt reply. I've unchecked Limit Primaries and left only one item in the BootIt BM Boot Menu with WinXP in partition 1. Unfortunately, this did not help.
I've also tried to copy partition 4 to partition 2 with the same result. This is very strange and suggests that there could be some issues within my Windows XP.
I've also tried to copy partition 4 to partition 2 with the same result. This is very strange and suggests that there could be some issues within my Windows XP.
Re: Restore WinXP to a different partition
I tried the same exercise. WinXP was copied to Free Space. Using the BIBM Copy/Paste options. No problems with booting the copied OS. Weird.
Re: Restore WinXP to a different partition
I've installed another copy of Windows XP with only one additional Intel driver necessary for SATA drives. The result is the same: no booting. My SATA disks are operating in RAID mode. Could this cause incompatibility?
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Restore WinXP to a different partition
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/
Otherwise you'd have to give a step by step of what you're doing and how your boot item is setup. Presumptions are that XP was booting, you used byte-for-byte validation for both backup and restore.
Otherwise you'd have to give a step by step of what you're doing and how your boot item is setup. Presumptions are that XP was booting, you used byte-for-byte validation for both backup and restore.
Re: Restore WinXP to a different partition
Thank you. I know how to use BootIt and backup/restore images.
Anyway:
1. I've installed BootIt BM 2.07 to an NVMe SSD with the option Limit Primaries.
2. I've created 4 partitions on a RAID0 volume consisting of 2 SATA SSDs.
3. I've installed Windows XP to partition 4. It boots flawlessly.
4. I've created an image of partition 4 using Image for DOS in BootIt.
5. I've formatted partition 4.
6. I've restored Windows XP from the image to partition 4 using Image for DOS in BootIt.
7. The restored copy works perfectly.
8. I've restored Windows XP from the image to partition 1 using Image for DOS in BootIt.
9. Booting Windows XP from partition 1 stops with a 0xC000021A BSOD error.
10. Copy/paste partition 4 to another partitions provides the same result.
11. I've tried to restore the image to another disk with the same result. It seems that this image can be restored only to its original partition.
Anyway:
1. I've installed BootIt BM 2.07 to an NVMe SSD with the option Limit Primaries.
2. I've created 4 partitions on a RAID0 volume consisting of 2 SATA SSDs.
3. I've installed Windows XP to partition 4. It boots flawlessly.
4. I've created an image of partition 4 using Image for DOS in BootIt.
5. I've formatted partition 4.
6. I've restored Windows XP from the image to partition 4 using Image for DOS in BootIt.
7. The restored copy works perfectly.
8. I've restored Windows XP from the image to partition 1 using Image for DOS in BootIt.
9. Booting Windows XP from partition 1 stops with a 0xC000021A BSOD error.
10. Copy/paste partition 4 to another partitions provides the same result.
11. I've tried to restore the image to another disk with the same result. It seems that this image can be restored only to its original partition.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Restore WinXP to a different partition
How is the boot item for each configured? What is the contents of boot.ini ?
Re: Restore WinXP to a different partition
So the BIBM partition is on Drive 0 and the WinXP partitions are on Drive 1?
Does using the Swap option help?
Does using the Swap option help?
-
OldNavyGuy
- Posts: 237
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:08 am
Re: Restore WinXP to a different partition
Why not install XP in a Virtual Machine?