Intel NUC5i5RYH disks not recognized when Configured as MBR

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Erik Speelman

Intel NUC5i5RYH disks not recognized when Configured as MBR

Post by Erik Speelman »

Short story: On my Intel NUC5i5RYH, when my SSDs are configured as MBR, BIB does not recognize them. When they are configured as GPT, both BIB and BIU recognize them just fine.

Some elaboration:
I have a classroom full of Intel NUC5i5RYH mini computers on which I want to install multiple Linux instances. This way, my students of group A can all work on the first Linux instance, and on the next day, my students of group B can all work on the second Linux instance, and so on.

For the moment, I am using BIU and GPT, and this works mostly fine. The problem is that I cannot really hide my partitions in Linux. So, for now, I cannot prevent a student of group B from mounting the work of a student of group A.

Therefore, I would very much prefer to use BIB, where I can more thoroughly hide the partitions from each other. I already updated the BIOS to the latest version and reset all BIOS settings to their default values, but still, the SSD refuses to show up in BIB when it is configured as MBR.

Any help is most welcome.
TeraByte Support

Re: Intel NUC5i5RYH disks not recognized when Configured as MBR

Post by TeraByte Support »

Is the hard drive large? Sometimes the legacy BIOS doesn't provide access to the drive if it has a GPT. One thing to try is to zero the entire first track or ensure MBR before starting system. It gets the drive count from the BIOS. You can use the diskinfo utility at https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downl ... -software/ to see what it reports from a DOS type envrionment.
Erik Speelman

Post by Erik Speelman »

Thanks for the swift response. It seems indeed to be a BIOS hiccup. When booting using F10, the MBR drives are perfectly accessible, but a regular boot keeps failing.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

one thing is to ensure it's booting the media in MBR mode, see if you can disable UEFI all together.
Erik Speelman

Post by Erik Speelman »

Thanks for the tips. I am now quite convinced that the problem has nothing to do with the BootIt software and that I should be able to tackle it with the configuration of the BIOS and of the disks themselves. Nice, I have some experimenting to do...
I'll keep you posted.