TBWinRE license Problem /execution Problem

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
TDC999

TBWinRE license Problem /execution Problem

Post by TDC999 »

Hello,

i read through the tutorial and created a TBWinRE CD that contains automated commands. The problem is now that when i boot from this CD it goes well to the point where IFW environment starts. First comes a warning about my license and trial mode (but my license should be fine) and then this window disappears, but the automated command is not executed.
i altered the files for creating the media in the Program folder of ifw (default location) but since it didn't work i tried it a second time when i put the folder tbwinre in the root of another drive - same problem.

i set usestartnetcmd=1

my startnetfile looks in the end like:
:: Run TBLauncher
start tblauncher
start "" "X:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2\imagew64.exe" /b /d:w0@0x1,0x201 /f:"Z:\Backups\C_D$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$" /v

imagew.ini looks like
; If the key is missing or invalid, Image for Windows will run in trial mode.
;
[License]
Key=Kanye West 000015-GR3X6A-........

But the desktop software never had any license problems, saying that key was not correct or so..

What is the problem?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: TBWinRE license Problem /execution Problem

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Double-check that the name and key information is correct. Was it typed in or copied & pasted? You could try the other way...

The Z: drive letter wouldn't normally be used when booted to WinRE/PE. Are you setting the letter somewhere else? It could be that IFW will fail because it can't find the backup image. You may need to reference it by signature or find out which letter that drive uses in WinRE/PE.

For the automated command, it might be less problematic to switch TBLauncher to IFW mode and specify the parameters it should use. It would then start IFW for you -- no need to use startnet.cmd. For example, in TBLauncher.ini:
[Options]
Mode=IFW
IFWModeParameters=/b /d:w0@0x1,0x201 /f:"Z:\Backups\C_D$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$" /v

Alternatively, you could use either RunScript.cmd (in build folder) or autorun.cmd (on boot media in \TBData folder). Neither of these methods require using startnet.cmd.

Another possibility is since you're starting TBLauncher and then IFW (TBLauncher normally starts IFW) that IFW is already running when your IFW command gets run. In that case, it would just not start the second IFW. You could try running your IFW command first and then TBLauncher:

start "" "X:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2\imagew64.exe" /b /d:w0@0x1,0x201 /f:"Z:\Backups\C_D$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$" /v
start tblauncher

If you're using the TBWinRE.cmd script you may want to try TBWinPE/RE Builder -- the options can be configured directly in settings.
TDC999

Post by TDC999 »

Hi Paul,
i changed the end of startnet.cmd to:

::start tblauncher
"X:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2\imagew64.exe" /b /d:w0@0x1,0x201 /f:#0x9CD305DA@0x1:"\Backups\CuD\IFW\C_D_-$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$" /v /comp:0 /rb:8

so no more launching of tblauncher and i used disk/volume signature and now it runs. Its a bit annoying that it still says that license is not valid and makes this 20 second countdown, but after that it does the job.

What bothers me now most is the slow speed for 42 GB it took 55min (with simple validate) which equals to 13 MB/sec. The disk in PC is SSD, USB 3.0 and external harddisk should be capable of 130 MB/sec. Why is that so painfully slow? I use win 7 64-bit with IFW 64-bit. Do i need to somehow include usb 3.0 drivers in TBWinRE Disk? Better use IFW 32-bit? Something else?

Greetings!
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

My C partition is 39 GB and takes about 40 minutes to a USB 3 hard drive
so your time seems reasonable.
Maryy

On 6/21/2015 3:58 PM, TDC999 wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> i changed the end of startnet.cmd to:
>
> :: Run TBLauncher
> ::start tblauncher
> "X:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2\imagew64.exe" /b /d:w0@0x1,0x201 /f:#0x9CD305DA@0x1:"\Backups\CuD\IFW\C_D_-$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$" /v /comp:0 /rb:8
>
> so no more launching of tblauncher and i used disk/volume signature and now it runs. Its a bit annoying that it still says that license is not valid and makes this 20 second countdown, but after that it does the job.
>
> What bothers me now most is the slow speed for 42 GB it took 55min (with simple validate) which equals to 13 MB/sec. The disk in PC is SSD, USB 3.0 and external harddisk should be capable of 130 MB/sec. Why is that so painfully slow? I use win 7 64-bit with IFW 64-bit. Do i need to somehow include usb 3.0 drivers in TBWinRE Disk? Better use IFW 32-bit? Something else?
>
> Greetings!
>
>
TeraByte Support(PP)

The normal Windows 7 WinPE/RE doesn't include USB 3.0 drivers and you would need to add those to get the speed increase. Alternatively, you could build TBWinPE using the Windows 8.0/8.1 ADK which includes the drivers. Note that not using any compression can also slow down the backup.

For the license issue, I would assume that it's either not reading the file correctly or there's a typo or invalid character in it somewhere. If you contact TeraByte Support and attach the imagew.ini file you're using it could be checked -- don't post your license information on the forum.
TDC999

Post by TDC999 »

Hi Paul, yes with comp:2 its a bit faster (48min vs 55min). Including the drivers seems not to make a difference. But maybe i did it wrong. Tahnks to your Input I used the "Create Recovery Boot Disk Tool" (looks great by the way! and is much easier to use). The Option "Add Drivers from Drivers folder" is checked by default. But since there was no difference in speed i wonder does IFW expect any special folder to copy those to? On my Dell machine they are at C:\Dell.

Do you think that "disable Trim" would make a difference?

Regarding license error i will send you an email later...
TeraByte Support(PP)

The "Drivers" folder referred to is the one in the TBWinRE folder. You would create this folder if it doesn't exist and then copy the drivers you want to include in the build (e.g. the Windows 7 USB 3.0 drivers for your system). In many cases, the necessary drivers (in the correct format) are available to download from the manufacturer of the system, board, or add-on card. There is an example of this in Appendix 2 of the tutorial: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... torial.htm

What model is your Dell?

For compression, /comp:14 is generally the fastest (Enhanced Speed A), though if you have a slower throughput one of the Enhanced Size options might be slightly faster (depends on the system).

I doubt "Disable Trim" would make any difference.
TDC999

Post by TDC999 »

Yes you are right Enhanced Speed A is the fastest. I think you changed it to default - so it is not shown with comp:.... it is left out. At least i got this command from "show command". So i tested yesterday one CD with:
"X:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2\imagew64.exe" /b /d:w0@0x1,0x201 /f:#0x9CD305DA@0x1:"\Backups\CuD\IFW\C_D_-$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$" /v /rb:8

and the same just without /v
"X:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2\imagew64.exe" /b /d:w0@0x1,0x201 /f:#0x9CD305DA@0x1:"\Backups\CuD\IFW\C_D_-$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$" /rb:8

The result was 1. command=57 minutes, the second one 32min :shock: Since i could not believe this i ran 1. again this morning and it ran trhrough in 33 min

Could it be that /v in Version 2.97 has been changed? Usually /v last time i tested this it on my machine about 4 min for 80 GB for simple validate. Judging the time it looks like a byte-for byte comparison.

To answer your question im using a Dell Vostro 3560 (though ugraded Ram to 8GB and put in a new ssd - crucial m550 512 GB). Anything special with Dell? Thanks for the hint with the Tutorial. I actually saw this, but didn' t read till Appendix 2 so I'll test this and write results...
TDC999

Post by TDC999 »

O.K. so i tested this with drivers included. It was about the same time as with Enhanced A, no validation. I don't know if i did this right - The dell Website did only offer .exes so i:
1. Extracted the drivers i thought would be important for usb with Driver Backup - see pictures to see what i took.
2. Created a folder "Drivers" in tbwinre and copied folders there. Withing the folders for the drivers are files like .inf .cat sometimes .sys looks good.
3. I used the tool to create an bootable USB drive
[attachment=2]DriverBackup.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]DriverBackup2.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Drivers.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
Drivers.JPG
Drivers.JPG (55.57 KiB) Viewed 6766 times
DriverBackup2.JPG
DriverBackup2.JPG (55.06 KiB) Viewed 6766 times
DriverBackup.JPG
DriverBackup.JPG (85.35 KiB) Viewed 6766 times
TeraByte Support(PP)

What size is the image (.tbi) file on the USB drive?

How long does it take to do the same backup (or backup & validation) while in Windows 7?

Have you checked the IFW.LOG file to see if anything is odd between the backup and validation times? Validation times are usually faster and should be very consistent per the image file size. If you’re getting inconsistent times with the same settings something else may be going on. I’ve seen some USB 3.0 drives that do not have sustained high speed throughput. Laptop-size drives seem worse in this area, though some do quite well.

Usually, when I add drivers to WinPE builds I try to keep it to a minimum. In the case of USB drivers it generally works best to just include them since there may be conflicts with system drivers that can’t be used in WinPE. In your case, have you tried just adding the drivers in the Dell “Chipset_Driver_KG9P5…” download? If you extract it, it would be the “Drivers\HCSwitch\x64” folder and the “Drivers\Win7\x64” folder (both of these are needed).

If you’re going to extract them from the Windows 7 system, you’ll need to make sure you have all three drivers and related files:
iusb3hub.sys
iusb3xhc.sys
iusb3hcs.sys

For example:

Directory of E:\TBWinRE\Drivers\HCSwitch\x64
iusb3hcs.cat
iusb3hcs.inf
iusb3hcs.sys
WdfCoInstaller01009.dll

Directory of E:\TBWinRE\Drivers\Win7\x64
iusb3hub.cat
iusb3hub.inf
IUsb3Hub.man
iusb3hub.sys
iusb3xhc.cat
iusb3xhc.inf
iusb3xhc.man
iusb3xhc.sys

Here’s a link to the download from Intel if you want to give them a try. It’s a later version than the one on Dell’s site:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... set-Family