tbifan39 wrote:
> The screen goes blank and then the system powers off. There are no
> messages. The screen goes blank all of a sudden and powers down. When I
> turn the system back on, a get an error message that there was a problem
> needs to be restart and collecting information. Once I restart again, the
> system boots normally and everything is fine. I assume the error message is
> related to the system shutting down improperly. This is the only time I
> have this problem. It does NOT shutdown improperly while in Windows.
>
> Btw, I am running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. Also, MS release a Mega update
> (Update 3) last month (Nov) and that is when the problem started. I only
> create an image once or twice a month. Not sure if this is the source of
> the problem or just a coincidence, but thought is was worth mentioning. I
> may have to start using IFW to make images, but not sure if I will have the
> same problem restoring with IFL. I may try to plan my backups and shutdown
> the system for a few hours beforehand. maybe there is an option that can be
> added in future versions to force system to not shutdown.
IFL wouldn't be able to stop it from shutting down if it's due to overheating. We could look into detecting the situation in IFL and doing a controlled shutdown, but it would still shut down.
On laptops, it's not that uncommon for dust to block up the cooling system over time, enough to cause thermal shutdown. It may have been close to happening before, and then the recent MS update added enough size to the image (and time to image it) to trigger the problem.
The suggestion to use Enhanced Speed A is worth a try. Another possibilty is to use a WinRE boot disk to see if that helps:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... torial.htm