IFL shutting down

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
tbifan39

IFL shutting down

Post by tbifan39 »

I have been using IFL for years to backup/restore. Lately, my laptop has been shutting down while creating image. I assume it's because of overheating, but the laptop is not that hot (IMO). My drive has more data on it and takes a little longer to complete. Is there an option to prevent shutting down? This is the only time that my laptop shuts down.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Re: IFL shutting down

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

tbifan39 wrote:
> I have been using IFL for years to backup/restore. Lately, my laptop has
> been shutting down while creating image. I assume it's because of
> overheating, but the laptop is not that hot (IMO). My drive has more data
> on it and takes a little longer to complete. Is there an option to prevent
> shutting down? This is the only time that my laptop shuts down.

There's no option to control that in IFL.

When this happens, does the screen just go blank and that's it? Or can you see it going through it's systematic shutdown sequence, as if you had intentionally shut it down with the 'halt' or 'poweroff' command, or selected 'Power Down' from the menu? In those cases you'll briefly see a "requesting system poweroff' message and a few other related messages just before it shuts down.
tbifan39

Post by tbifan39 »

The screen goes blank and then the system powers off. There are no messages. The screen goes blank all of a sudden and powers down. When I turn the system back on, a get an error message that there was a problem needs to be restart and collecting information. Once I restart again, the system boots normally and everything is fine. I assume the error message is related to the system shutting down improperly. This is the only time I have this problem. It does NOT shutdown improperly while in Windows.

Btw, I am running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. Also, MS release a Mega update (Update 3) last month (Nov) and that is when the problem started. I only create an image once or twice a month. Not sure if this is the source of the problem or just a coincidence, but thought is was worth mentioning. I may have to start using IFW to make images, but not sure if I will have the same problem restoring with IFL. I may try to plan my backups and shutdown the system for a few hours beforehand. maybe there is an option that can be added in future versions to force system to not shutdown.
TAC109

Post by TAC109 »

Using compression option 'Enhanced speed - A' should reduce the load
on your CPU when backing up.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

tbifan39 wrote:
> The screen goes blank and then the system powers off. There are no
> messages. The screen goes blank all of a sudden and powers down. When I
> turn the system back on, a get an error message that there was a problem
> needs to be restart and collecting information. Once I restart again, the
> system boots normally and everything is fine. I assume the error message is
> related to the system shutting down improperly. This is the only time I
> have this problem. It does NOT shutdown improperly while in Windows.
>
> Btw, I am running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. Also, MS release a Mega update
> (Update 3) last month (Nov) and that is when the problem started. I only
> create an image once or twice a month. Not sure if this is the source of
> the problem or just a coincidence, but thought is was worth mentioning. I
> may have to start using IFW to make images, but not sure if I will have the
> same problem restoring with IFL. I may try to plan my backups and shutdown
> the system for a few hours beforehand. maybe there is an option that can be
> added in future versions to force system to not shutdown.

IFL wouldn't be able to stop it from shutting down if it's due to overheating. We could look into detecting the situation in IFL and doing a controlled shutdown, but it would still shut down.

On laptops, it's not that uncommon for dust to block up the cooling system over time, enough to cause thermal shutdown. It may have been close to happening before, and then the recent MS update added enough size to the image (and time to image it) to trigger the problem.

The suggestion to use Enhanced Speed A is worth a try. Another possibilty is to use a WinRE boot disk to see if that helps:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... torial.htm