Page 1 of 1
Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW
Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:26 pm
by Scott
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
IFD 2.87
IFW 2.87
PHYLock 2.11
* Legitimately registered user of all the above
Every single time I backup my Windows partition using IFD, the b-f-b validation succeeds. Likewise, every single time I try the same with IFW, it fails. I am hoping I can get it to work, as this is preventing me from backing up as often as I'd like to.
The location of the failure seems to differ each time, but they are relatively close to each other. For example, the two latest failures (from two separate log entries) were:
Byte-for-Byte failure at LBA 450746229 offset 0 (27136)
Byte-for-Byte failure at LBA 450168038 offset 0 (52224)
Please advise.
Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:57 am
by TeraByte Support
This should cover it - I'd start with memtest86+ then move on to either
cable or a Raid consistency (or verify and fix) check, especially if you're
mirroring. But just go through these items:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=151
"Scott" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
IFD 2.87
IFW 2.87
PHYLock 2.11
* Legitimately registered user of all the above
Every single time I backup my Windows partition using IFD, the b-f-b
validation succeeds. Likewise, every single time I try the same with IFW, it
fails. I am hoping I can get it to work, as this is preventing me from
backing up as often as I'd like to.
The location of the failure seems to differ each time, but they are
relatively close to each other. For example, the two latest failures (from
two separate log entries) were:
Byte-for-Byte failure at LBA 450746229 offset 0 (27136)
Byte-for-Byte failure at LBA 450168038 offset 0 (52224)
Please advise.
Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:37 pm
by Scott
I'm intimately familiar with that article, believe me. I wish I could say why.
My PC's memory is fine. I'm not using RAID. I imagine that if the cables were bad, IFD would fail also.
I just enabled VSS in IFW, and made not one but two separate backups, and everything including the b-f-b completed successfully.
Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:28 pm
by mjnelson99
I had a WD hard drive that was giving problems. They suggested replacing
the IDE cable.
I was skeptical and did it anyway. Problems stopped with the new cable.
Not sure if SATA is in the same boat, though.
Mary
On 3/10/2014 2:37 PM, Scott wrote:
> I'm intimately familiar with that article, believe me. I wish I could say why.
>
> My PC's memory is fine. I'm not using RAID. I imagine that if the cables were bad, IFD would fail also.
>
> I just enabled VSS in IFW, and made not one but two separate backups, and everything including the b-f-b completed successfully.
>
>
Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:45 pm
by DrTeeth
On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 14:28:38 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
MJNelson disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>Not sure if SATA is in the same boat, though.
They are so fragile I have over 6 new spare ones here. Awful bloody
things they are.
--
Cheers,
DrT
** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:23 pm
by Scott
Thank you for the replies. However, to clarify: IFW with PHYLock gives errors. IFW with VSS works fine. IFD works fine.
It isn't the cable.
Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 pm
by TeraByte Support
chkdsk /f the partition that phylock uses (see the ifw.log) and also check
the upperfilters stack - if you have something above it (closer to the
drive) that is altering the drive then it won't be able to trap it. If
you're using mirroring, verify and repair.
"Scott" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Thank you for the replies. However, to clarify: IFW with PHYLock gives
errors. IFW with VSS works fine. IFD works fine.
It isn't the cable.
Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:30 pm
by Scott
Nothing above it, only PartMgr below it (probably not a good idea to remove it... just a hunch).
Again, not using RAID 1 (mirroring).
chkdsk finds nothing (ran it the other day for grins and giggles), besides, why would IFD and IFW/VSS work and IFW/PHYLock not work.
Calling this a "fail".
Hope DF is enjoying the beach.
Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:01 am
by TeraByte Support
Anything in lowerfilters? What version of PHYLock shows in the .log file?
are you using SCSI or PATA/SATA? SSD or normal drive? You can enable
/logl:50 and it will output the data to the .log showing you the difference.
"Scott" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Nothing above it, only PartMgr below it (probably not a good idea to remove
it... just a hunch).
Again, not using RAID 1 (mirroring).
chkdsk finds nothing (ran it the other day for grins and giggles), besides,
why would IFD and IFW/VSS work and IFW/PHYLock not work.
Calling this a "fail".
Hope DF is enjoying the beach.