Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
Scott
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 am

Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW

Post by Scott »

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
IFD 2.87
IFW 2.87
PHYLock 2.11
* Legitimately registered user of all the above

Every single time I backup my Windows partition using IFD, the b-f-b validation succeeds. Likewise, every single time I try the same with IFW, it fails. I am hoping I can get it to work, as this is preventing me from backing up as often as I'd like to.

The location of the failure seems to differ each time, but they are relatively close to each other. For example, the two latest failures (from two separate log entries) were:

Byte-for-Byte failure at LBA 450746229 offset 0 (27136)
Byte-for-Byte failure at LBA 450168038 offset 0 (52224)

Please advise.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW

Post by TeraByte Support »

This should cover it - I'd start with memtest86+ then move on to either
cable or a Raid consistency (or verify and fix) check, especially if you're
mirroring. But just go through these items:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=151



"Scott" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
IFD 2.87
IFW 2.87
PHYLock 2.11
* Legitimately registered user of all the above

Every single time I backup my Windows partition using IFD, the b-f-b
validation succeeds. Likewise, every single time I try the same with IFW, it
fails. I am hoping I can get it to work, as this is preventing me from
backing up as often as I'd like to.

The location of the failure seems to differ each time, but they are
relatively close to each other. For example, the two latest failures (from
two separate log entries) were:

Byte-for-Byte failure at LBA 450746229 offset 0 (27136)
Byte-for-Byte failure at LBA 450168038 offset 0 (52224)

Please advise.

Scott
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW

Post by Scott »

I'm intimately familiar with that article, believe me. I wish I could say why.

My PC's memory is fine. I'm not using RAID. I imagine that if the cables were bad, IFD would fail also.

I just enabled VSS in IFW, and made not one but two separate backups, and everything including the b-f-b completed successfully.
mjnelson99
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:24 am

Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW

Post by mjnelson99 »

I had a WD hard drive that was giving problems. They suggested replacing
the IDE cable.

I was skeptical and did it anyway. Problems stopped with the new cable.

Not sure if SATA is in the same boat, though.

Mary

On 3/10/2014 2:37 PM, Scott wrote:
> I'm intimately familiar with that article, believe me. I wish I could say why.
>
> My PC's memory is fine. I'm not using RAID. I imagine that if the cables were bad, IFD would fail also.
>
> I just enabled VSS in IFW, and made not one but two separate backups, and everything including the b-f-b completed successfully.
>
>
DrTeeth
Posts: 1289
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW

Post by DrTeeth »

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 14:28:38 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
MJNelson disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Not sure if SATA is in the same boat, though.
They are so fragile I have over 6 new spare ones here. Awful bloody
things they are.
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
Scott
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW

Post by Scott »

Thank you for the replies. However, to clarify: IFW with PHYLock gives errors. IFW with VSS works fine. IFD works fine.

It isn't the cable.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW

Post by TeraByte Support »

chkdsk /f the partition that phylock uses (see the ifw.log) and also check
the upperfilters stack - if you have something above it (closer to the
drive) that is altering the drive then it won't be able to trap it. If
you're using mirroring, verify and repair.


"Scott" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Thank you for the replies. However, to clarify: IFW with PHYLock gives
errors. IFW with VSS works fine. IFD works fine.

It isn't the cable.

Scott
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW

Post by Scott »

Nothing above it, only PartMgr below it (probably not a good idea to remove it... just a hunch).

Again, not using RAID 1 (mirroring).

chkdsk finds nothing (ran it the other day for grins and giggles), besides, why would IFD and IFW/VSS work and IFW/PHYLock not work.

Calling this a "fail".

Hope DF is enjoying the beach.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Byte-for-byte verification consistently fails in IFW

Post by TeraByte Support »

Anything in lowerfilters? What version of PHYLock shows in the .log file?
are you using SCSI or PATA/SATA? SSD or normal drive? You can enable
/logl:50 and it will output the data to the .log showing you the difference.


"Scott" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Nothing above it, only PartMgr below it (probably not a good idea to remove
it... just a hunch).

Again, not using RAID 1 (mirroring).

chkdsk finds nothing (ran it the other day for grins and giggles), besides,
why would IFD and IFW/VSS work and IFW/PHYLock not work.

Calling this a "fail".

Hope DF is enjoying the beach.

Post Reply