Page 1 of 2
IFW, WinPE And USB Flash Drive
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:02 pm
by aladdin
I just download v2.86, upgraded and created a WinPE USB flash drive but it doesn't boot. In the past I made the same v2.85 WinPE USB flash drive but didn't test it for booting. I assumed that it will boot.
Now some background.
Microsoft has changed that the way that how some USB flash drive are recognized. Some of them are now recognized as "fixed disk". I have about 10 Sandisk Cruzzer 8GB, each one for building bootable USB flash drive for different imaging/virus/partition programs and BIBM.
Other imaging programs WinPE make the ISO, so I use PowerISO to make the bootable flash drive for these Sandisk Cruzzer 8GB. But IFW doesn't make the ISO, so I can't use PowerISO with it.
However, no problem booting BIBM on a Sandisk Cruzzer 8GB. Also, no problem booting IFW with a 4GB USB flash drive.
Best regards,
aladdin
Re: IFW, WinPE And USB Flash Drive
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:29 pm
by aladdin
I cannot make bootable USB flash disk on these Sandisk Cruzzer 8GB directly from <others>. I make the ISO and then use PowerISO to make bootable USB flash drive on these Sandisk Cruzzer 8GB. The problem lies with Microsoft recently changing how these USB flash disk are recognized as "fixed disk".
Best regards,
aladdin
Re: IFW, WinPE And USB Flash Drive
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:29 pm
by aladdin
Or the problem could be recent v2.86
Best regards,
aladdin
Re: IFW, WinPE And USB Flash Drive
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:32 pm
by TeraByte Support
What happens when you try to boot? If it doesn't boot at all, use your BIOS
boot menu to select the specific device. If it just hangs then use one of
the other options (partitioned or one of the different geometry option) that
would work better with your system BIOS.
"aladdin" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
I just download v2.86, upgraded and created a WinPE USB flash drive but it
doesn't boot. In the past I made the same v2.85 WinPE USB flash drive but
didn't test it for booting. I assumed that it will boot.
Now some background.
Microsoft has changed that the way that how some USB flash drive are
recognized. Some of them are now recognized as "fixed disk". I have about 10
Sandisk Cruzzer 8GB, each one for building bootable USB flash drive for
different imaging/virus/partition programs and BIBM.
Other imaging programs WinPE make the ISO, so I use PowerISO to make the
bootable flash drive for these Sandisk Cruzzer 8GB. But IFW doesn't make the
ISO, so I can't use PowerISO with it.
However, no problem booting BIBM on a Sandisk Cruzzer 8GB. Also, no problem
booting IFW with a 4GB USB flash drive.
Best regards,
aladdin
Re: IFW, WinPE And USB Flash Drive
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:04 pm
by aladdin
TeraByte Support wrote:
> What happens when you try to boot? If it doesn't boot at all, use your
> BIOS
> boot menu to select the specific device. If it just hangs then use one of
>
> the other options (partitioned or one of the different geometry option)
> that
> would work better with your system BIOS.
>
>
I guess you didn't read what I have written. Nothing to do with BIOS or choosing the correct USB flash drive for booting. The problem lies that in Windows the USB flash drive is shown as "Fixed Disk".
Maybe, we can go at it in a different way. Is there a way to make a WinPE ISO of IFW?
Or maybe, I can PM Brain K at Widlers. Please take some time and read carefully what I have written.
Best regards,
aladdin
Re: IFW, WinPE And USB Flash Drive
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:07 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
There's always been the choice to create an ISO when creating the TBWinRE/PE boot media (assuming the booting files can be found). Have you tried using that method? The option is in MakDisk where you select which type of media. A screenshot is shown in the tutorial (
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... torial.htm).
Otherwise, which USB mode are you selecting for the flash drive? Those affect how the drive is seen since the formatting is different.
I use several SanDisk flash drives and they generally have problems with consistently being recognized properly. As a result, I usually avoid them for booting. Have you tried a different brand?
Re: IFW, WinPE And USB Flash Drive
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:44 pm
by aladdin
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> There's always been the choice to create an ISO when creating the
> TBWinRE/PE boot media (assuming the booting files can be found). Have you
> tried using that method? The option is in MakDisk where you select which
> type of media. A screenshot is shown in the tutorial
> (
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... torial.htm).
>
> Otherwise, which USB mode are you selecting for the flash drive? Those
> affect how the drive is seen since the formatting is different.
>
> I use several SanDisk flash drives and they generally have problems with
> consistently being recognized properly. As a result, I usually avoid them
> for booting. Have you tried a different brand?
Thanks for the answer. The WinRE creates the ISO file, whereas the WinPE doesn't. It creates the ISO sub-directory with bunch of files in it. Not just the ISO file like WinRE does. The MakeDisk does start after creating the ISO sub-directory, and format the USB flash drive and create the bootable IFW Media Recovery files on it without giving any error. However, when I try to boot from this flash drive, it just sits there with blinking cursor.
I will try again, based on the tutorial, and choose "Partition - MBR Fat / Fat 32 Partition". However, if I have the WinPE ISO, then I can use PowerISO instead of MakeDisk to make the bootable USB flash drive. Failing so, I can use the WinRE ISO.
Best regards,
aladdin
P.S. WinRE makes the ISO, but the WinPE doesn't make the ISO, WHY?
Re: IFW, WinPE And USB Flash Drive
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:45 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
They should normally both be able to create the ISO file. Is "ISO" not showing as an option in MakeDisk? You could be able to create an ISO file, a CD/DVD, or a UFD.
Re: IFW, WinPE And USB Flash Drive
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:14 pm
by TeraByte Support
That is usually BIOS related, mainly geometry, you need to find the method
it wants to boot - so start with the various different geometry options
available, if it doesn't like those you can try them again with one of the
different partition options. If it's not UEFI, then wouldn't bother with
the EFI System partition type.
However, when I try to boot from this flash drive, it just sits there with
blinking cursor.
Re: IFW, WinPE And USB Flash Drive
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:19 am
by aladdin
Hi there,
The following worked:
"Partition - MBR Fat / Fat 32 Partition"
Also, as Robin at Wilders' pointed out that in MakeDisk the very top option is to make an ISO (duh me!)
Haven't used MakeDisk very much, still learning ..........
Consider this subject closed.
Best regards,
aladdin