Image for Linux Video Card Support

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
TheKid7
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Image for Linux Video Card Support

Post by TheKid7 »

I am planning to do a hardware upgrade and OS change (Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit) on one of my PC's in the near future.

The PC currently has a PCIE-X16 GeForce 7300LE Video Card which works with Image for Linux CUI, but I think that Image for Linux GUI has some trouble.

I am considering using the Intel HD Graphics 4600 of an Intel Core i5 CPU. Does Image for Linux support the Intel HD Graphics 4600?

If Image for Linux does not support the Intel HD Graphics 4600, I could purchase a PCIE-X16 2.0 GeForce GT 630 video card. Will Image for Linux work with the GeForce GT 630 video card?

The new Motherboard (ASUS H87-PRO) has the following:

North Bridge: Intel H87
LAN Chipset: Realtek 8111G

Thanks in Advance.
mjnelson99
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:24 am

Re: Image for Linux Video Card Support

Post by mjnelson99 »

Have you checked the latest versions of IFL gui to make sure it is still
not working well? Worth the test before replacing the card.
Mary


On 11/16/2013 9:16 PM, TheKid7 wrote:
> I am planning to do a hardware upgrade and OS change (Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit) on one of my PC's in the near future.
>
> The PC currently has a PCIE-X16 GeForce 7300LE Video Card which works with Image for Linux CUI, but I think that Image for Linux GUI has some trouble.
>
> I am considering using the Intel HD Graphics 4600 of an Intel Core i5 CPU. Does Image for Linux support the Intel HD Graphics 4600?
>
> If Image for Linux does not support the Intel HD Graphics 4600, I could purchase a PCIE-X16 2.0 GeForce GT 630 video card. Will Image for Linux work with the GeForce GT 630 video card?
>
> The new Motherboard (ASUS H87-PRO) has the following:
>
> North Bridge: Intel H87
> LAN Chipset: Realtek 8111G
>
> Thanks in Advance.
>
>
TeraByte Support(TP)
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: Image for Linux Video Card Support

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

TheKid7 wrote:
> I am planning to do a hardware upgrade and OS change (Windows XP Pro to
> Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit) on one of my PC's in the near future.
>
> The PC currently has a PCIE-X16 GeForce 7300LE Video Card which works with
> Image for Linux CUI, but I think that Image for Linux GUI has some trouble.
>
> I am considering using the Intel HD Graphics 4600 of an Intel Core i5 CPU.
> Does Image for Linux support the Intel HD Graphics 4600?
>
> If Image for Linux does not support the Intel HD Graphics 4600, I could
> purchase a PCIE-X16 2.0 GeForce GT 630 video card. Will Image for Linux
> work with the GeForce GT 630 video card?
>
> The new Motherboard (ASUS H87-PRO) has the following:
>
> North Bridge: Intel H87
> LAN Chipset: Realtek 8111G
>
> Thanks in Advance.

IFL just uses 2 generic video drivers (no drivers specific to any hardware). At least one of them should work adequately with almost all video cards. It the first one fails to find a mode it can use, it falls back to the second. You may want to see how it works with the on-board graphics first, although it's likely to work with both options.
TheKid7
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Image for Linux Video Card Support

Post by TheKid7 »

mjnelson99 wrote:
> Have you checked the latest versions of IFL gui to make sure it is still
> not working well? Worth the test before replacing the card.
> Mary

I just checked IFL GUI 2.85, and IFL GUI will boot as long as I enter 'boot: 1fb'.
TheKid7
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Image for Linux Video Card Support

Post by TheKid7 »

I just ordered the Intel Core i5 CPU which has the HD Graphics 4600. I plan to use the HD Graphics 4600 since the Benchmarks of the HD Graphics 4600 is multiple times better than the GeForce 7300LE.
TheKid7
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Image for Linux Video Card Support

Post by TheKid7 »

TeraByte Support(TP) wrote:
>
> IFL just uses 2 generic video drivers (no drivers specific to any hardware). At least
> one of them should work adequately with almost all video cards. It the first one
> fails to find a mode it can use, it falls back to the second. You may want to see how
> it works with the on-board graphics first, although it's likely to work with both
> options.

I upgraded my PC two days ago and IFL GUI 2.85 works with the Intel HD Graphics 4600.

Thank you.
Post Reply