Backup / Restore for Bay Trail - ASUS Tablet (eMMC drive)
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:25 pm
Hi -
I am a long time user of all of TB's products. I'm writing this to document my recent experience with moving to a new Intel Bay Trail powered Windows 8.1 Tablet / Convertible - the Asus T100. This is a 10" tablet with a detachable keyboard that features the latest (Nov 2013) Intel "Bay Trail' Atom 3740 CPU, 2GB ram, and a 60GB Flash drive in a lightweight, affordable package.
I found the posting about turning fast boot mode off for Win 8, and did this. This is a Flash drive, so there doesn't appear to be any difference.
Of course I installed the latest (2.83) IFW package. That's where things got interesting. I could not get VSS or Phylock to lock, except under weird conditions (immediately after booting, and not selecting one of the partitions would work...).
So I tried booting an IFL USB boot drive after using the advanced booting options to disable UEFI secure boot - this booted when I used an IFL USB boot created on the Asus T100 (32 bit Win 8.1) but would hang when using the IFL USB I created on an earlier machine that ran Win7 x64. IFD simply didn't work because this is a UEFI bios (no classic mode). Note that I said IFL did boot - But it did not 'see' the 64GB internal Flash drive. At this point I ran across the tutorial for TBWinRE.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... torial.htm
Using this, I was able to "Modify the Win Recovery Environment" that essentially embeds IFW (and utils) into the windows advanced recovery tools and make a full backup of the 64GB Flash Drive.
But, I was not able to successfully use the WinRE Builder script to (2) create a TBWinRE USB Flash Drive. It would issue a warning that one or more files were missing (I found that etsfboot.com is not on this machine). How could I have a bullet proof backup without a boot disk?
I used windows own program to create a recovery disk. This is essentially copying the Recovery Environment, that now has IFW embedded into it, to an 8GB USB Flash drive. As a bonus, the utility has an option for removing the 8GB Recovery partition on the 64Gb Flash drive leaving more user accessible drive space. I verified that this USB RE drive boots, and the IFW utilities are available.
This leaves me with a method to use IFW as my bullet proof backup tools. And two questions: 1) Why wasn't IFL that I created on the Asus T100 able to see the 64GB Flash Drive, and 2) Why wasn't TBWinRE Builder able to create a bootable USB disk?
I'm guessing that this is because the 64GB Flash drive is not a typical drive. The Intel Bay Trail chip supports using a type of flash module called an eMMC as a disk drive. This isn't SATA, PATA nor USB and it needs drivers that are not the traditional ones needed. The attraction of the new Intel chip set is that it sets a new Price (low) / Performance point that is really good (The Asus machine starts at $349 for a windows tablet that includes the keyboard, Office home & student, etc), and using eMMC is cheaper than a SATA interface. I expect that more of these will see adoption using eMMC. I for one don't trust that machine is safely backed up until I have a TB image file at an offsite location, and I'm glad that the TBWinRE tools provide a way to do this.
Cheers - Mark A.
I am a long time user of all of TB's products. I'm writing this to document my recent experience with moving to a new Intel Bay Trail powered Windows 8.1 Tablet / Convertible - the Asus T100. This is a 10" tablet with a detachable keyboard that features the latest (Nov 2013) Intel "Bay Trail' Atom 3740 CPU, 2GB ram, and a 60GB Flash drive in a lightweight, affordable package.
I found the posting about turning fast boot mode off for Win 8, and did this. This is a Flash drive, so there doesn't appear to be any difference.
Of course I installed the latest (2.83) IFW package. That's where things got interesting. I could not get VSS or Phylock to lock, except under weird conditions (immediately after booting, and not selecting one of the partitions would work...).
So I tried booting an IFL USB boot drive after using the advanced booting options to disable UEFI secure boot - this booted when I used an IFL USB boot created on the Asus T100 (32 bit Win 8.1) but would hang when using the IFL USB I created on an earlier machine that ran Win7 x64. IFD simply didn't work because this is a UEFI bios (no classic mode). Note that I said IFL did boot - But it did not 'see' the 64GB internal Flash drive. At this point I ran across the tutorial for TBWinRE.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... torial.htm
Using this, I was able to "Modify the Win Recovery Environment" that essentially embeds IFW (and utils) into the windows advanced recovery tools and make a full backup of the 64GB Flash Drive.
But, I was not able to successfully use the WinRE Builder script to (2) create a TBWinRE USB Flash Drive. It would issue a warning that one or more files were missing (I found that etsfboot.com is not on this machine). How could I have a bullet proof backup without a boot disk?
I used windows own program to create a recovery disk. This is essentially copying the Recovery Environment, that now has IFW embedded into it, to an 8GB USB Flash drive. As a bonus, the utility has an option for removing the 8GB Recovery partition on the 64Gb Flash drive leaving more user accessible drive space. I verified that this USB RE drive boots, and the IFW utilities are available.
This leaves me with a method to use IFW as my bullet proof backup tools. And two questions: 1) Why wasn't IFL that I created on the Asus T100 able to see the 64GB Flash Drive, and 2) Why wasn't TBWinRE Builder able to create a bootable USB disk?
I'm guessing that this is because the 64GB Flash drive is not a typical drive. The Intel Bay Trail chip supports using a type of flash module called an eMMC as a disk drive. This isn't SATA, PATA nor USB and it needs drivers that are not the traditional ones needed. The attraction of the new Intel chip set is that it sets a new Price (low) / Performance point that is really good (The Asus machine starts at $349 for a windows tablet that includes the keyboard, Office home & student, etc), and using eMMC is cheaper than a SATA interface. I expect that more of these will see adoption using eMMC. I for one don't trust that machine is safely backed up until I have a TB image file at an offsite location, and I'm glad that the TBWinRE tools provide a way to do this.
Cheers - Mark A.