Restoring a failed VMware VM

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
LittleB
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Restoring a failed VMware VM

Post by LittleB »

Using IFW from within the VMware VM, I successfully created a byte for byte verified image of Drive 0.

I created a new VM and used the recovery disc to restore it from within the new VM. It did so successfully (I love the reliability of this software!) but after I was back in Windows, it said I needed to activate it again.

When I use TeraByte's software to restore an image to the same HD on the same computer, Windows doesn't prompt me to re-activate. Everything works just like it did when I took the image. I'm trying to mirror that process with the restoration of the VM. Is there a way to do this? If so, how?

Some facts that might help:

Win7 64 bit Host (Retail)
Win7 64 bit Guest (Retail - Separate license)
IFW (x64) Version 2.83 (Was used for creating the image, creating the restore disk iso, & restored from that disk.)
Image was created from within the Guest VM.
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Restoring a failed VMware VM

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It's most likely because you created a new VM. It would be seen as a different system.

What was the problem with restoring it back into the original VM?
LittleB
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Re: Restoring a failed VMware VM

Post by LittleB »

Well...mainly I just didn't think to do it that way and deleted the original VM from the machine. Have I hosed myself or is there a way for me to still obtain the result I'm looking for?

Thank you for the assistance!
rich071
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Restoring a failed VMware VM

Post by rich071 »

After restoring and booting up the restored VM, did you get a question, asking, if you copied or moved the VM? If so, in this case, answer with, I moved the VM. This alone should not trigger a reactivation again.

The question is based on the UUID of the VM, whether to keep it, if moved or change it, if copied.

I am also assuming you restored to a VM on the same Host machine. If you restored to a different HOST, that WILL definately cause the reactivation issues, since, now the processor has changed in the VM, based on the new HOST processor.

Hope this helps,
LittleB
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Re: Restoring a failed VMware VM

Post by LittleB »

Hello rich...thank you for your response.

No, VMware never asked that question this time. I do know what message you are talking about though because I have seen it several other times when moving them from one location to another.

Yes, the VM was restored to the same host machine. I'm hoping there is a way to restore it from what I have. If not, I could maybe go further back and use an image of the drive from a year ago, log in and restore over it. That will be two separate restores though...

Any other ideas?

rich071 wrote:
> After restoring and booting up the restored VM, did you get a question,
> asking, if you copied or moved the VM? If so, in this case, answer with, I
> moved the VM. This alone should not trigger a reactivation again.
>
> The question is based on the UUID of the VM, whether to keep it, if moved
> or change it, if copied.
>
> I am also assuming you restored to a VM on the same Host machine. If you
> restored to a different HOST, that WILL definately cause the reactivation
> issues, since, now the processor has changed in the VM, based on the new
> HOST processor.
>
> Hope this helps,
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Restoring a failed VMware VM

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You could copy your VM files out of your backup and then boot to it and restore the new image.

I usually keep a separate backup of the "base" VM files so I have them in case I need to revert.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Restoring a failed VMware VM

Post by TeraByte Support »

Once windows detects enough changes, it will require reactivation. That's
the design of the OS.


"LittleB" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Using IFW from within the VMware VM, I successfully created a byte for byte
verified image of Drive 0.

I created a new VM and used the recovery disc to restore it from within the
new VM. It did so successfully (I love the reliability of this software!)
but after I was back in Windows, it said I needed to activate it again.

When I use TeraByte's software to restore an image to the same HD on the
same computer, Windows doesn't prompt me to re-activate. Everything works
just like it did when I took the image. I'm trying to mirror that process
with the restoration of the VM. Is there a way to do this? If so, how?

Some facts that might help:

Win7 64 bit Host (Retail)
Win7 64 bit Guest (Retail - Separate license)
IFW (x64) Version 2.83 (Was used for creating the image, creating the
restore disk iso, & restored from that disk.)
Image was created from within the Guest VM.

mjnelson99
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:24 am

Re: Restoring a failed VMware VM

Post by mjnelson99 »

I agree.

I updated the firmware in a dvd burner and had to
reactivate. I don't remember specifically what else I had
replaced. That was just the last straw for Windows.
Mary

On 8/21/2013 8:25 PM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> Once windows detects enough changes, it will require reactivation. That's
> the design of the OS.
>
>
> "LittleB" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Using IFW from within the VMware VM, I successfully created a byte for byte
> verified image of Drive 0.
>
> I created a new VM and used the recovery disc to restore it from within the
> new VM. It did so successfully (I love the reliability of this software!)
> but after I was back in Windows, it said I needed to activate it again.
>
> When I use TeraByte's software to restore an image to the same HD on the
> same computer, Windows doesn't prompt me to re-activate. Everything works
> just like it did when I took the image. I'm trying to mirror that process
> with the restoration of the VM. Is there a way to do this? If so, how?
>
> Some facts that might help:
>
> Win7 64 bit Host (Retail)
> Win7 64 bit Guest (Retail - Separate license)
> IFW (x64) Version 2.83 (Was used for creating the image, creating the
> restore disk iso, & restored from that disk.)
> Image was created from within the Guest VM.
>
>
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Restoring a failed VMware VM

Post by Brian K »

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

Seven "yes" votes is good.
rich071
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Restoring a failed VMware VM

Post by rich071 »

LittleB,

You could connect to the Internet and see if it reactivates. This would be the quickest and the simplest way.

Do you have Bootit installed and any particular options that you selected during the restore, if not. You could try another restore to another VM and try again. When creating the last new VM, were the new settings identical to the old VM that was backed up.

I have made several major upgrades to my main system, including swapping the CPU. Reactivations were all done over the Internet on the retail versions. Some had to be reactivated twice because of upgrades. Never an issue.

Good Luck,
Post Reply