Page 1 of 1

New Antivirus - IFW now fails byte for byte validation

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:33 pm
by timg11
I updated my AV to Sophos. Now when I run IFW 64(2.82a on Win7-64 bit), I get immediate errors as soon as it starts the validation process. So something must be "getting around" PHYlock and changing the disk, I suspect.

I remember reading something about some programs installing drivers in the disk stack above or below PhyLock in a previous post. Something in the registry about upperfilters or lowerfilters?

Can anyone fill me in on exactly what to look for and how to fix this?
Would it be as simple as uninstalling IFW/PHYLock and reinstalling it?

Re: New Antivirus - IFW now fails byte for byte validation

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:14 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
The key to look at can be found here: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=338

You could try uninstalling PHYLock and reinstalling it. The Setup program can be found in the "phylock" folder of the IFW installation.

Re: New Antivirus - IFW now fails byte for byte validation

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:54 pm
by timg11
My UpperFilters key looks like this:
phylock
Shockprf
PartMgr

I think Shockprf is from Lenovo. I don't see anything from Sophos. IFW with Phylock used to work, and I'm assuming (but can't be totally sure) that Shockprf has always been there.
Anything else I should look at?

Re: New Antivirus - IFW now fails byte for byte validation

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:02 pm
by TeraByte Support
There is also lowerfilters but I'd start by saying it's a coincidence and do
the standard checking...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=151

Of course also running the chkdsk /f on source/target.

If you enable /logl:50 (well use 100), you'll see the difference it found in
the .log - but really, check that memory, check those cables, run the chkdsk
/f on all drives.



"timg11" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

My UpperFilters key looks like this:
phylock
Shockprf
PartMgr

I think Shockprf is from Lenovo. I don't see anything from Sophos. IFW with
Phylock used to work, and I'm assuming (but can't be totally sure) that
Shockprf has always been there.
Anything else I should look at?


Re: New Antivirus - IFW now fails byte for byte validation

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:27 pm
by timg11
CHKDSK reports no problems with source or target drive.

VSS fails also on byte for byte validation, but it was further into the validation, maybe 10-15% before failure.

I have tried both saving to a USB local drive and to a network drive on a server. Same results either way.

The system has recently been upgraded to a Samsung 840 SSD if that makes any difference, but I was able to get an successful image with byte for byte after the upgrade but before the AV change.

Re: New Antivirus - IFW now fails byte for byte validation

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:11 am
by TeraByte Support
I'd run memtest86+ from memtest.org overnight to start with.

"timg11" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

CHKDSK reports no problems with source or target drive.

VSS fails also on byte for byte validation, but it was further into the
validation, maybe 10-15% before failure.

I have tried both saving to a USB local drive and to a network drive on a
server. Same results either way.

The system has recently been upgraded to a Samsung 840 SSD if that makes any
difference, but I was able to get an successful image with byte for byte
after the upgrade but before the AV change.