IFL 2.82 disappears creating image

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
Jim1cor13
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:03 pm

IFL 2.82 disappears creating image

Post by Jim1cor13 »

Hello
Last night I had an odd occurence I could not figure out using IFL 2.82 boot media, NON-network version. After booting into IFL 2.82 and attempting to create an image on a second partition of my drive which I have done many times in the past, I went through detailing where to create my image of Win 7, on my partition D: which is NTFS. Everything was normal, and I got to the start window, and after hitting start, the progress window opened up for a brief second and disappeared. I have never had this happen. So i tried again and same occurence, disappearing right when I hit start, brief window then gone.

Details of my system: Partition C: Windows 7 SP1 x86, total data 6.73GB NTFS file system. Attempted to create an image on my D: partition, (NTFS) free space is 15GB, so should be no problem to house compressed image of approx. 3.5GB IFL would simply disappear at every attempt after clicking "Start". No warnings, no log that I could find, it just disappeared. I then tried to create same image on another partition E:, NTFS, only this had about 85GB free, and it was flawless with image size compressed to approx. 3.5GB. But makes no sense why it could not proceed to create the image on partition D: which had 15GB free space.

Then tried <another> WinPe boot disk to see if it was an issue with my disk, set it up to create an image on the same Partition D: and it worked just fine, no odd issues.

Could this possibly be an experience about the potential crash while writing a file to NTFS in regards to version 2.82? I have been using 2.82 for many images, no problems until last night. first thing I thought of is the bug mentioned in the changelog of 2.82A but still it made little sense as to why all of the sudden it failed as I have done this before with no issues or complaints from IFL.

By the way, you have amazing software, been a very happy user since Feb. 2012, bought the whole suite, but just love IFL and BIBM :)

Thank you very much for any help or suggestions!

Jim
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: IFL 2.82 disappears creating image

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Do you still have IFL 2.81? If so, did you try it to see if it created the backup normally (no crash)?
Jim1cor13
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: IFL 2.82 disappears creating image

Post by Jim1cor13 »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> Do you still have IFL 2.81? If so, did you try it to see if it created the
> backup normally (no crash)?

Hello Paul

Great idea. I do not have version 2.81, so i booted into 2.80 and it created the image
just fine.

I tried 2.82 again right after and it displayed the same behavior...I hit start and the IFL screen flashed up on the
monitor for less than a second and disappeared. I have never seen this happen before but thank you for your idea.
2.80 worked fine. I just wish I knew what 2.82 was having trouble with.

Appreciate the help sir. Any idea why 2.82 simply disappears from the screen?

Jim
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: IFL 2.82 disappears creating image

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Does chkdsk report any errors on the D: partition?
TeraByte Support(TP)
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: IFL 2.82 disappears creating image

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

Jim1cor13 wrote:
> TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> > Do you still have IFL 2.81? If so, did you try it to see if it created the
> > backup normally (no crash)?
>
> Hello Paul
>
> Great idea. I do not have version 2.81, so i booted into 2.80 and it created the
> image
> just fine.
>
> I tried 2.82 again right after and it displayed the same behavior...I hit start and
> the IFL screen flashed up on the
> monitor for less than a second and disappeared. I have never seen this happen before
> but thank you for your idea.
> 2.80 worked fine. I just wish I knew what 2.82 was having trouble with.
>
> Appreciate the help sir. Any idea why 2.82 simply disappears from the screen?
>
> Jim

Jim,

Also, have you tried IFL 2.82a? The NTFS problem in the IFL upgrade history was introduced in IFL 2.82, and fixed in IFL 2.82a.

That type of problem could be a hit or miss thing, depending on the state of the file system when you try to save an image to it.
Jim1cor13
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: IFL 2.82 disappears creating image

Post by Jim1cor13 »

Thank you Paul and Tom for your assistance. i do think after digging a bit deeper into this, it is indeed the NTFS problem introduced with 2.82. I did check the file system with chkdsk, and it reported problems with the MFT. Those were fixed, I then re-formatted the logical partition D: to start fresh, and no problem with any partitions reported by chkdsk. I have all partitions aligned to 2048 sectors, 1 Primary (OS) and 1 extended with 2 logical partitions. After running chkdsk, etc. and seeing no issues reported, I tried version 2.82 again, and same behavior, very brief IFL window flashed on screen then disappeared after I clicked "Start" to create the image. Interesting thing is AFTER this I immediately ran a chkdsk after booting into a WinPE environment, and it reported MFT corruption so I have narrowed it down at this point to 2.82 causing the MFT/file system issues with my logical partition D: Also, the drive I am using is NOT advanced format, but all partitions are aligned and BIBM reports no issues with them. Just wanted to mention this. As mentioned previously, IFL version 2.80 had no problems imaging to my D: partition.

2.82 images fine to my external drive, it just chokes for some reason on my logical NTFS partition D: My other partition E: it handles fine. I did download the latest version 2.82a and I will try that later today to see if it displays same behavior. I suspect if it is the NTFS hit and miss issue, 2.82a hopefully will take care of it.

As mentioned I have tried also using <something else>, and it has no issues with my logical NTFS D: partition, so I will see how IFL 2.82a handles itself. :)

Thank you both for your help and I hope 2.82a fixes the issue. i will let you know after testing 2.82a

Have a good day!
Jim
Jim1cor13
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: IFL 2.82 disappears creating image

Post by Jim1cor13 »

Hello again Paul and Tom :)

I have just tried IFL version 2.82A and can confirm it works just fine with imaging to my Partition D: :)

I also checked with chkdsk after image was created, no problems with the partition :)
Indeed, it appears I experienced the 2.82 NTFS problem. So i consider 2.82A to have corrected the issue in my experience.
My only concern with version 2.82 is it not only failed to image to my D: partition, but that it also caused some minor MFT corruption as I mentioned above, but thankfully 2.82A has fixed my issues.

Thank you very much Paul and Tom for your assistance. You represent a fine company and some of the best utilities available. I am very satisfied with your help and ideas. After using your products since Feb. 2012, I must say you guys do a great job, thank you. I learn something new everyday with them :)
Have a good day!

Jim
TeraByte Support(TP)
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: IFL 2.82 disappears creating image

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

Jim1cor13 wrote:
> Hello again Paul and Tom :)
>
> I have just tried IFL version 2.82A and can confirm it works just fine with
> imaging to my Partition D: :)
>
> I also checked with chkdsk after image was created, no problems with the
> partition :)
> Indeed, it appears I experienced the 2.82 NTFS problem. So i consider 2.82A
> to have corrected the issue in my experience.
> My only concern with version 2.82 is it not only failed to image to my D:
> partition, but that it also caused some minor MFT corruption as I mentioned
> above, but thankfully 2.82A has fixed my issues.
>
> Thank you very much Paul and Tom for your assistance. You represent a fine
> company and some of the best utilities available. I am very satisfied with
> your help and ideas. After using your products since Feb. 2012, I must say
> you guys do a great job, thank you. I learn something new everyday with
> them :)
> Have a good day!
>
> Jim


Jim,

You're welcome, and glad to hear that the latest version resolved the problem.
Post Reply