PC to PC connection for IFW/IFL backup

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
userX
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:51 am

PC to PC connection for IFW/IFL backup

Post by userX »

On a LAN I have a primary machine, a laptop PC whose primary OS is Windows 7 Professional, which has a large, secondary hard drive connected to it, for the most permanently, in a USB device. I have a separate machine running Windows XP. Both of these machines have an Ethernet connection to a router.

In order to make a whole disk backup of the WinXP machine, I boot into IFL environment and use its functionality to connect to a share from the Win7 machine. This share is a folder on the hard drive of the USB device. For this process to work, of course, both machines must be on and their network cables connected to the router.

However, it would be advantageous for a couple of reasons, if there were some way I could connect the WinXP machine directly to the Win7 machine, rather than having this data going through the router. Besides being a bit faster with a direct connection, I suppose, it would be better not to have the machines connected to the router all the while. Is there a way to make such a connection and use the IFL program? Thanks.
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: PC to PC connection for IFW/IFL backup

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Is there a reason you don't just connect the USB drive to the XP system when creating the backup? That would probably be the fastest method.

If you use a NAS device you'd still have to have the computer being backed up connected to the router/network to create the backup, but the other computer wouldn't have to be on.

You might be able to get the connection working directly between the computers (depending on the systems, may require using a crossover cable). I don't think you'll gain any speed over going through the router, though, unless the router is slow.

Normally, computers are left connected to the router/network. Is there a specific reason you're not wanting this (e.g. isolation, no internet, etc.)?
userX
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:51 am

Re: PC to PC connection for IFW/IFL backup

Post by userX »

Hi, Paul.

I don't think the router is unusually slow because it is not too old, but I figured cutting out one loop of the path through this device, that is, the one between machines, might be helpful, but that was just a supposition, not having tested it yet. Even aside from this, I would like to avoid leaving the machines connected to the router during the backup because it takes a good while to transpire as the whole disk backup process is indeed of "the whole disk" because the disk is entirely encrypted.

Yes, I do in fact have this machine isolated, as you stated, and for security reasons I would prefer to minimize its exposure to the LAN and to the Internet capable router. I will take a look at your suggestion about the crossover cable. Thanks.
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: PC to PC connection for IFW/IFL backup

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You could check if the router has an option to block the internet/LAN connections to specific computers. Or you could just disconnect the WAN cable during the backup (this would disconnect the internet from all connected computers, though).

Another option would be to use a dedicated switch/router between those two computers. Then you could just disconnect that switch/router from the main router when you didn't want internet/LAN access on them. Probably have to use static IP for this method.

What I'd probably do is just get another USB drive for the second system.
DrTeeth
Posts: 1289
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: PC to PC connection for IFW/IFL backup

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sat, 1 Jun 2013 21:21:08 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
userX disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>In order to make a whole disk backup of the WinXP machine, I boot into IFL environment and use its functionality to connect to a share from the Win7 machine. This share is a folder on the hard drive of the USB device. For this process to work, of course, both machines must be on and their network cables connected to the router.
>
>However, it would be advantageous for a couple of reasons, if there were some way I could connect the WinXP machine directly to the Win7 machine, rather than having this data going through the router. Besides being a bit faster with a direct connection, I suppose, it would be better not to have the machines connected to the router all the while. Is there a way to make such a connection and use the IFL program? Thanks.

I always back up my laptop (has 8 OSs) over my network to my main PC
(has a 3x2TB internal drives, one for all backups) and it is fast. I
have IfW installed on the Win 7 laptop OS and I use that to backup. No
speed complaints. The ONLY issue I have is occasionally, IfW will not
find the network drive on my main PC even though all other networking
features on other software works and occasionally I have to boot my
main PC for it to be visible. Used to me a major PITA but has been
much better behaved of late.
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
userX
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:51 am

Re: PC to PC connection for IFW/IFL backup

Post by userX »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
>
> ...[snip]
> Another option would be to use a dedicated switch/router between those two
> computers. Then you could just disconnect that switch/router from the main
> router when you didn't want internet/LAN access on them. Probably have to
> use static IP for this method.
>

The switch idea is perfect, and I even have a good one lying around. Thank you.

:geek:
userX
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:51 am

Re: PC to PC connection for IFW/IFL backup

Post by userX »

DrTeeth wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2013 21:21:08 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
> userX disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>
> >In order to make a whole disk backup of the WinXP machine, I boot into IFL
> environment and use its functionality to connect to a share from the Win7
> machine. This share is a folder on the hard drive of the USB device. For
> this process to work, of course, both machines must be on and their network
> cables connected to the router.
> >
> >However, it would be advantageous for a couple of reasons, if there were
> some way I could connect the WinXP machine directly to the Win7 machine,
> rather than having this data going through the router. Besides being a bit
> faster with a direct connection, I suppose, it would be better not to have
> the machines connected to the router all the while. Is there a way to make
> such a connection and use the IFL program? Thanks.
>
> I always back up my laptop (has 8 OSs) over my network to my main PC
> (has a 3x2TB internal drives, one for all backups) and it is fast. I

Am I understanding correctly that you have a desktop with three internal hard disks, and each is 2 TB in size? If I am, then I can only say, hurrah cowboy! You are sitting snug as a bug in a (very large) rug! I hope you are using one of them to back up the other one because that is sure a lot of data to loose if one goes south. :cry:
>
> DrT
>
> ** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
> ** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
> ** out of someone who richly deserves it.

This is a great saying.
DrTeeth
Posts: 1289
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: PC to PC connection for IFW/IFL backup

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 19:45:08 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
userX disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I hope you are using one of them to back up the other one because that is sure a lot of data to loose if one goes south.
One is just for backing up (all OSs and some data that is not on OS
partitions) and I mirror that to a fourth external 2TB drive.

>> ** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
>> ** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
>> ** out of someone who richly deserves it.

> This is a great saying.

And soooo true!
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
Post Reply