While using the IFL CD environment last time, I saw a situation where I could not use an older version of the program on the CD to restore an image created with a newer version of the program installed on the OS in Windows. Fortunately, that was no big deal because I also had a newer version of it available already on CD. It might have become an issue if I had needed a newer version for restoring and if my currently installed OS was not operating. I suppose the only safe thing to do is to burn a new one every time a new version is installed and used for creating another backup image.
Yet, I am still wondering how this situation might play out in the case where I used the command line interface with "/COMBINE " if these several changes-only images were created with different versions of the program? Also, does this command create one huge file combined with all the other separate image files, or is there another option that allows me to combine them into one set while simultaneously limiting the size of any part to a maximum, say, of 4 GB each? Where is a link that explains this usage?
Finally, is there also any like concern that TBI View versioning could result in my not being able to view the files made from an image with a newer version that that used to run the program?
TBI View compatibility considerations
-
Bob Coleman
- Posts: 877
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm
Re: TBI View compatibility considerations
userX wrote:
> Finally, is there also any like concern that TBI View versioning could
> result in my not being able to view the files made from an image with a
> newer version that that used to run the program?
Yes, I've had cases where I've had to update TBIView before it would work with an image that I wanted it to work with.
> Finally, is there also any like concern that TBI View versioning could
> result in my not being able to view the files made from an image with a
> newer version that that used to run the program?
Yes, I've had cases where I've had to update TBIView before it would work with an image that I wanted it to work with.
-
mjnelson99
- Posts: 785
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:24 am
Re: TBI View compatibility considerations
You may also need to update Phylock for IFW.
On 3/17/2013 4:18 PM, Bob Coleman wrote:
> userX wrote:
>
>> Finally, is there also any like concern that TBI View versioning could
>> result in my not being able to view the files made from an image with a
>> newer version that that used to run the program?
>
> Yes, I've had cases where I've had to update TBIView before it would work with an image that I wanted it to work with.
>
>
On 3/17/2013 4:18 PM, Bob Coleman wrote:
> userX wrote:
>
>> Finally, is there also any like concern that TBI View versioning could
>> result in my not being able to view the files made from an image with a
>> newer version that that used to run the program?
>
> Yes, I've had cases where I've had to update TBIView before it would work with an image that I wanted it to work with.
>
>
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: TBI View compatibility considerations
userX wrote:
> I suppose the only safe thing to do is to burn a new one every
> time a new version is installed and used for creating another backup image.
It's recommended to update to the current version. However, the Upgrade History normally states if the new version is required to restore images created with it.
> Yet, I am still wondering how this situation might play out in the case
> where I used the command line interface with "/COMBINE " if these
> several changes-only images were created with different versions of the
> program?
They would be combined. The "combined" image will be the new version.
> Also, does this command create one huge file combined with all the
> other separate image files, or is there another option that allows me to
> combine them into one set while simultaneously limiting the size of any
> part to a maximum, say, of 4 GB each?
You can specify the /max option. For example:
imagew /combine /f:"new backup" /base:"old backup inc 5" /max:4GiB
> Finally, is there also any like concern that TBI View versioning could
> result in my not being able to view the files made from an image with a
> newer version that that used to run the program?
When there's a new image file version, TBIView and TBIMount are updated to support it. You would need to use the updated/current versions of the programs to access the new images.
> I suppose the only safe thing to do is to burn a new one every
> time a new version is installed and used for creating another backup image.
It's recommended to update to the current version. However, the Upgrade History normally states if the new version is required to restore images created with it.
> Yet, I am still wondering how this situation might play out in the case
> where I used the command line interface with "/COMBINE " if these
> several changes-only images were created with different versions of the
> program?
They would be combined. The "combined" image will be the new version.
> Also, does this command create one huge file combined with all the
> other separate image files, or is there another option that allows me to
> combine them into one set while simultaneously limiting the size of any
> part to a maximum, say, of 4 GB each?
You can specify the /max option. For example:
imagew /combine /f:"new backup" /base:"old backup inc 5" /max:4GiB
> Finally, is there also any like concern that TBI View versioning could
> result in my not being able to view the files made from an image with a
> newer version that that used to run the program?
When there's a new image file version, TBIView and TBIMount are updated to support it. You would need to use the updated/current versions of the programs to access the new images.
Re: TBI View compatibility considerations
Thank you, Paul. Clarity is a beautiful thing, is it not? It is also challenging all too often. 