Page 2 of 2

Re: IFL & Windows 8 0xc000000e error

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:16 pm
by krum09
I know my other computer has a known BIOS bug, Cant boot with USB sometimes. its a EVGA motherboard;

Chris

Re: IFL & Windows 8 0xc000000e error

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:59 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
Do other USB flash drives boot and reboot normally (Windows repair UFD, Live Linux UFD, IFD UFD, etc.)?

Did you try using all the non-UEFI MakeDisk format options?

Does the BIOS have any "Fast Boot" options? Some systems will skip certain screens and boot options (entering the BIOS, boot menu, etc.) on a warm boot to speed things up.

Is the boot order changing depending on whether or not the IFL UFD is plugged in? I assume you don't want it to boot all the time.

Does the system have multiple USB controllers? If so, have you tried both?

Re: IFL & Windows 8 0xc000000e error

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:42 am
by caleula
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> Do other USB flash drives boot and reboot normally (Windows repair UFD,
> Live Linux UFD, IFD UFD, etc.)?
>
Only had an IFD USB Flash Drive to test with and, if I recall, it ran, but isn't a patch on IFL as I said a year or two back. It fact, the mouse support froze and also it doesn't give meaningful hard disk descriptions as IFL does.

> Did you try using all the non-UEFI MakeDisk format options?

Yes.

> Does the BIOS have any "Fast Boot" options? Some systems will

Turned "Fast Boot" off and it took about 3 minutes to boot.
F2 and F12 options then worked, but got "Error Loading Operating System".

> Is the boot order changing depending on whether or not the IFL UFD is
> plugged in?

Couldn't check as with the IFL USB Flash Drive plugged in, I couldn't access F2 or F12.

> I assume you don't want it to boot all the time.

Correct. However, I want to leave the USB Flash Drives plugged in all the time and choose "Boot Options" using F12.
Incidentally, I'm using micro USB Flash Drives, the very low-profile or stubby ones.
>
> Does the system have multiple USB controllers? If so, have you tried both?

USB Controller -On.
Rear Quad USB - On.
Rear Dual USB - On.
Front USB - On. The one I normally use.

Tried them all.

Now it gets interesting.

My BIOS was A22 and I re-flashed it to A19.
F2 and F12 now work as expected in normal operation and I still have AHCI, thank goodness.
As soon as my USB hard disk I normally use is plugged in though, I'm back to "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. 0xc000000e error.

Tried using a partition on an internal drive and also an external eSATA drive with no problems.

Now that downgrading the BIOS returns the F2 and F12 functions, I wonder whether my normal external USB drive is sus? It works fine on other computers.

Re: IFL & Windows 8 0xc000000e error

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:58 am
by TeraByte Support(PP)
Check the booting order when the USB hard drive is plugged in. Maybe the Windows drive isn't first.

Re: IFL & Windows 8 0xc000000e error

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 am
by caleula
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> Check the booting order when the USB hard drive is plugged in. Maybe the
> Windows drive isn't first.

SATA0 - SSD - Windows 8
SATA1 - HDD - User Profiles
SATA2 - HDD - Data
CDROM
USB

Never changes.

Seems that downgrading the BIOS from A22 to A19 has fixed the IFL not loading problem.

Found an older 80GB SATA external drive that has images on it and all works okay.

However, if I use my normal 640GB SATA external drive, it gives an error every time.

Tried reformatting a couple of times, but the drive still isn't recognised when I boot from IFL.

In Windows, all is normal and the drive is recognised without any errors.

Re: IFL & Windows 8 0xc000000e error

Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:55 am
by caleula
Okay, have played around a bit including swapping the external 2.5" USB cases and switching to a known USB 'Y' cable.

Finally have the two drives working from the Boot Menu on both computers and I'm back on BIOS version A22.

On one computer, now get "Selected Boot Device not available" on one drive and "Can't mount File System" on the other. They are both formatted as NTFS.

The second computer, one works and the other says "Can't mount File System" and it doesn't show the directories I setup either. Shows ------>

Strangely, "Image for Windows" works fine for both drives.