Phylock Cache Size Issue

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
AlanD
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Phylock Cache Size Issue

Post by AlanD »

On 2013-03-21 8:41 AM, AlanD wrote:
> On 2013-03-21 12:38 AM, PP wrote:
>> When you start IFW, click the Settings button. You can adjust the size of the PHYLock RAM Cache there. Since you've been running okay for a while with the default value I'd just try increasing it 2048 (to 10240) and see how it goes.
>>
>> The backup created was automatically deleted because of the error. You can turn that option off if you want to keep failed backups (in Settings, Retain Failed Backups). There's a good chance the file is not valid, though.
>>
>> 204 indicates a PHYLock Cache error.
>>
>>
> thanks
>
> I did dry run through IFW to look at command line, but saw no difference
> in command line after changing RAM cache to 10240.
>
> If that's the case, then how would I incorporate this cache size change
> into command line?
>
> thanks
>
> AlanD
>
>
I think I answered my own question above.
It seems that once the RAM cache size is changed in Settings, it remains
set at the new value until changed again in Settings.

I am confused though about the response from TB support saying:
"> Because for some reason it used RAM and not Disk for caching - did you
> disable the disk caching in settings?"

If my log indicated that, then why?

AlanD
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Phylock Cache Size Issue

Post by AlanD »

On 2013-03-21 8:41 AM, AlanD wrote:
> On 2013-03-21 12:38 AM, PP wrote:
>> When you start IFW, click the Settings button. You can adjust the size of the PHYLock RAM Cache there. Since you've been running okay for a while with the default value I'd just try increasing it 2048 (to 10240) and see how it goes.
>>
>> The backup created was automatically deleted because of the error. You can turn that option off if you want to keep failed backups (in Settings, Retain Failed Backups). There's a good chance the file is not valid, though.
>>
>> 204 indicates a PHYLock Cache error.
>>
>>
> thanks
>
> I did dry run through IFW to look at command line, but saw no difference
> in command line after changing RAM cache to 10240.
>
> If that's the case, then how would I incorporate this cache size change
> into command line?
>
> thanks
>
> AlanD
>
>
After studying Bootlog some more, maybe I can hazard a guess about
Phylock using RAM instead of Disk, (which I guess eventually used up
available RAM). Notice there was an aborted attempt to run IFW image
just before the completed run (which failed because of insufficient
RAM). I aborted the run right after it started because Windows was
complaining about not recognizing a ".TBI" file. I then almost
immediately decided to repeat run and ignore the warning.

I can't really connect the dots. Maybe you can.

I am going to do an image again later today without increasing RAM to
see how it goes.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Phylock Cache Size Issue

Post by TeraByte Support »

just ensure you have the disk cache enabled in settings (leave all the
default). run chkdsk /f on the drive as well as defragging it.

"AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

On 2013-03-21 8:41 AM, AlanD wrote:
> On 2013-03-21 12:38 AM, PP wrote:
>> When you start IFW, click the Settings button. You can adjust the size of
>> the PHYLock RAM Cache there. Since you've been running okay for a while
>> with the default value I'd just try increasing it 2048 (to 10240) and see
>> how it goes.
>>
>> The backup created was automatically deleted because of the error. You
>> can turn that option off if you want to keep failed backups (in Settings,
>> Retain Failed Backups). There's a good chance the file is not valid,
>> though.
>>
>> 204 indicates a PHYLock Cache error.
>>
>>
> thanks
>
> I did dry run through IFW to look at command line, but saw no difference
> in command line after changing RAM cache to 10240.
>
> If that's the case, then how would I incorporate this cache size change
> into command line?
>
> thanks
>
> AlanD
>
>
After studying Bootlog some more, maybe I can hazard a guess about
Phylock using RAM instead of Disk, (which I guess eventually used up
available RAM). Notice there was an aborted attempt to run IFW image
just before the completed run (which failed because of insufficient
RAM). I aborted the run right after it started because Windows was
complaining about not recognizing a ".TBI" file. I then almost
immediately decided to repeat run and ignore the warning.

I can't really connect the dots. Maybe you can.

I am going to do an image again later today without increasing RAM to
see how it goes.

AlanD
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Phylock Cache Size Issue

Post by AlanD »

On 2013-03-21 12:21 PM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> just ensure you have the disk cache enabled in settings (leave all the
> default). run chkdsk /f on the drive as well as defragging it.
>
> "AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> On 2013-03-21 8:41 AM, AlanD wrote:
>> On 2013-03-21 12:38 AM, PP wrote:
>>> When you start IFW, click the Settings button. You can adjust the size of
>>> the PHYLock RAM Cache there. Since you've been running okay for a while
>>> with the default value I'd just try increasing it 2048 (to 10240) and see
>>> how it goes.
>>>
>>> The backup created was automatically deleted because of the error. You
>>> can turn that option off if you want to keep failed backups (in Settings,
>>> Retain Failed Backups). There's a good chance the file is not valid,
>>> though.
>>>
>>> 204 indicates a PHYLock Cache error.
>>>
>>>
>> thanks
>>
>> I did dry run through IFW to look at command line, but saw no difference
>> in command line after changing RAM cache to 10240.
>>
>> If that's the case, then how would I incorporate this cache size change
>> into command line?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> AlanD
>>
>>
> After studying Bootlog some more, maybe I can hazard a guess about
> Phylock using RAM instead of Disk, (which I guess eventually used up
> available RAM). Notice there was an aborted attempt to run IFW image
> just before the completed run (which failed because of insufficient
> RAM). I aborted the run right after it started because Windows was
> complaining about not recognizing a ".TBI" file. I then almost
> immediately decided to repeat run and ignore the warning.
>
> I can't really connect the dots. Maybe you can.
>
> I am going to do an image again later today without increasing RAM to
> see how it goes.
>
>
OK, ran chkdsk /f again - no problems
defragged again
examining Settings window - all at default

tried three times to run IFW. As soon as phylock gains control, screen
says "using RAM" At that point I just Cancel

reinstalled IFW 2.80

Ran IFW fourth time, same problem (Using RAM)
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Phylock Cache Size Issue

Post by Brian K »

Alan,

Try using IFW to image just the Windows partition (ignore the others). Does it say Disk? You can then cancel out of IFW.
DrTeeth
Posts: 1289
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Phylock Cache Size Issue

Post by DrTeeth »

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:30:55 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
AlanD disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>
>tried three times to run IFW. As soon as phylock gains control, screen
>says "using RAM" At that point I just Cancel

I find that IfW sometimes uses disk cache and sometimes RAM. Both
types backup without error except once, when I was heavily using the
PC during the backup.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Phylock Cache Size Issue

Post by TeraByte Support »

you can use /logl:50 to get additional information put in the .log file.
But, something is preventing it (typically lack of non-paged pool memory),
you can enable VSS if you want.

"AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

On 2013-03-21 12:21 PM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> just ensure you have the disk cache enabled in settings (leave all the
> default). run chkdsk /f on the drive as well as defragging it.
>
> "AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> On 2013-03-21 8:41 AM, AlanD wrote:
>> On 2013-03-21 12:38 AM, PP wrote:
>>> When you start IFW, click the Settings button. You can adjust the size
>>> of
>>> the PHYLock RAM Cache there. Since you've been running okay for a while
>>> with the default value I'd just try increasing it 2048 (to 10240) and
>>> see
>>> how it goes.
>>>
>>> The backup created was automatically deleted because of the error. You
>>> can turn that option off if you want to keep failed backups (in
>>> Settings,
>>> Retain Failed Backups). There's a good chance the file is not valid,
>>> though.
>>>
>>> 204 indicates a PHYLock Cache error.
>>>
>>>
>> thanks
>>
>> I did dry run through IFW to look at command line, but saw no difference
>> in command line after changing RAM cache to 10240.
>>
>> If that's the case, then how would I incorporate this cache size change
>> into command line?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> AlanD
>>
>>
> After studying Bootlog some more, maybe I can hazard a guess about
> Phylock using RAM instead of Disk, (which I guess eventually used up
> available RAM). Notice there was an aborted attempt to run IFW image
> just before the completed run (which failed because of insufficient
> RAM). I aborted the run right after it started because Windows was
> complaining about not recognizing a ".TBI" file. I then almost
> immediately decided to repeat run and ignore the warning.
>
> I can't really connect the dots. Maybe you can.
>
> I am going to do an image again later today without increasing RAM to
> see how it goes.
>
>
OK, ran chkdsk /f again - no problems
defragged again
examining Settings window - all at default

tried three times to run IFW. As soon as phylock gains control, screen
says "using RAM" At that point I just Cancel

reinstalled IFW 2.80

Ran IFW fourth time, same problem (Using RAM)

AlanD
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Phylock Cache Size Issue

Post by AlanD »

On 2013-03-21 3:41 PM, DrTeeth wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:30:55 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
> AlanD disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>
>>
>> tried three times to run IFW. As soon as phylock gains control, screen
>> says "using RAM" At that point I just Cancel
>
> I find that IfW sometimes uses disk cache and sometimes RAM. Both
> types backup without error except once, when I was heavily using the
> PC during the backup.
>
Update:
1) Continues to use RAM Cache
2) increased RAM cache to 10240
3) ran IFW again
4) Failed at close to end of imaging last of four partitions (before
starting Validation)
5) Now there is no Log file to be found. Previously it showed up in
Terabyte Folders in Program Files. I did a search whole C: drive - no
such file exists. No, I have not turned off logging
6) This quote from TBU made me believe that DISK Caching was the normal,
expected mode: "Because for some reason it used RAM and not Disk for
caching - did you disable the disk caching in settings?"
7) I am more than confused at this point
8) and remember, a couple of weeks ago I satisfactorily completed two
images with no issues and no using RAM Cache
9) I am not using the computer at all during Imaging
10) I am now going to see what happens with an image of Bootcamp
partition only (As Brian suggested)
11) I then will turn off indexing and try full drive again.

AlanD
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Phylock Cache Size Issue

Post by AlanD »

On 2013-03-20 8:33 PM, AlanD wrote:
> One hour and 10 minutes into an IFW image/validate operation (just
> started validation), I get this message: PHYLock failed to cache all
> changes. Please increase the cache size in settings.
>
> Am using IFW V 2.80, latest Phylock version also installed. Imaging
> complete drive (four partitions - MAC and Bootcamp)
>
> Of course this aborted the whole effort (color me very ticked off)!
>
> Not sure where to attack this. Does KB article 323 apply with WIN 7?
>
> In three years, I have never seen this before on my PC, just been using
> whatever settings are default.
>
> AlanD
>
>
UPDATE 3/22/13
I did two things yesterday. I ran IFW, imaging only the Bootcamp
partition. Program used Disk, not RAM cache. Program completed OK, and
wrote a log file. My RAM cache SETTING is still at 10240. Did not turn
off Search Indexing.

Then I turned off Search Indexing, and ran whole-drive image. Program
completed OK this time, but did NOT write a Log file. (I don't get that
at all).

I am not sure why search indexing is causing any grief, since my PC has
never had indexing stopped, and I have never had an aborted Image run,
due to RAM cache issues or anything else, and I image a whole,
three-partition drive daily for maybe three years now.
As far as the laptop being new and that causing more intense indexing,
the laptop is not that new now - over a month old, and it has very few
programs on it, and very little usage, but it is on 24-7.
Both machines run WIN 7 32-bit, and both machines have a 500 GB HD, btw.

I am now running whole drive image again with search indexing back on.
It is using RAM cache again. Usually doesn't crap out until I am about
through with imaging phase (500GB), and preparing to start validation.
More later.

AlanD
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Phylock Cache Size Issue

Post by AlanD »

On 2013-03-22 9:12 AM, AlanD wrote:
> On 2013-03-20 8:33 PM, AlanD wrote:
>> One hour and 10 minutes into an IFW image/validate operation (just
>> started validation), I get this message: PHYLock failed to cache all
>> changes. Please increase the cache size in settings.
>>
>> Am using IFW V 2.80, latest Phylock version also installed. Imaging
>> complete drive (four partitions - MAC and Bootcamp)
>>
>> Of course this aborted the whole effort (color me very ticked off)!
>>
>> Not sure where to attack this. Does KB article 323 apply with WIN 7?
>>
>> In three years, I have never seen this before on my PC, just been using
>> whatever settings are default.
>>
>> AlanD
>>
>>
> UPDATE 3/22/13
> I did two things yesterday. I ran IFW, imaging only the Bootcamp
> partition. Program used Disk, not RAM cache. Program completed OK, and
> wrote a log file. My RAM cache SETTING is still at 10240. Did not turn
> off Search Indexing.
>
> Then I turned off Search Indexing, and ran whole-drive image. Program
> completed OK this time, but did NOT write a Log file. (I don't get that
> at all).
>
> I am not sure why search indexing is causing any grief, since my PC has
> never had indexing stopped, and I have never had an aborted Image run,
> due to RAM cache issues or anything else, and I image a whole,
> three-partition drive daily for maybe three years now.
> As far as the laptop being new and that causing more intense indexing,
> the laptop is not that new now - over a month old, and it has very few
> programs on it, and very little usage, but it is on 24-7.
> Both machines run WIN 7 32-bit, and both machines have a 500 GB HD, btw.
>
> I am now running whole drive image again with search indexing back on.
> It is using RAM cache again. Usually doesn't crap out until I am about
> through with imaging phase (500GB), and preparing to start validation.
> Failed again.

Ran complete drive imaging again, and Selected VSS this time, but
although VSS info popped up at start of image, it quickly changed to
"Waiting for Phylock"
However, the image completed OK
Still no log file. Will try /logl:50 switch tomorrow
>
>

Post Reply