Missing Data Written on Completion
Missing Data Written on Completion
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit SP1
IFW 2.90
TBView 4.34.0
Did a boot time image creation of a secondary data disk on my laptop. It said image was created successfully, but I did not do a verify - as it was 400 GB of data.
Now, I'm trying to restore data from my tbi file and it is failing in IFW and TBView and won't mount. The error is:
Image File XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.TBI is Missing Data Written on Completion
Error 64 opening file XXXXXXXXXXX.TBI
I suppose I am totally screwed, right? There is no way to recover this data? Is the file corrupt and totally useless? It would seem to me that the data inside the file should be accessible by some means or another. But, I admit, as it was with "normal" compression then it might be "compressed" in some way that I can't get, right?
What is the issue and status? Can I recover/restore data from this TBI backup file?
So, what's up with this? Can I get the data out of it?
IFW 2.90
TBView 4.34.0
Did a boot time image creation of a secondary data disk on my laptop. It said image was created successfully, but I did not do a verify - as it was 400 GB of data.
Now, I'm trying to restore data from my tbi file and it is failing in IFW and TBView and won't mount. The error is:
Image File XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.TBI is Missing Data Written on Completion
Error 64 opening file XXXXXXXXXXX.TBI
I suppose I am totally screwed, right? There is no way to recover this data? Is the file corrupt and totally useless? It would seem to me that the data inside the file should be accessible by some means or another. But, I admit, as it was with "normal" compression then it might be "compressed" in some way that I can't get, right?
What is the issue and status? Can I recover/restore data from this TBI backup file?
So, what's up with this? Can I get the data out of it?
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: Missing Data Written on Completion
Have you tried using the "/recover" parameter with IFW?
Re: Missing Data Written on Completion
I have not done so, but tried "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2\imagew64.exe" /recover from a command prompt. Is this what you are referring to? If so, it didn't resolve the problem. Can you be more clear or specific about what I have done or need to do?
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Missing Data Written on Completion
If it's missing data written on completion, then it's missing data written
on completion. If it said it completed, then it completed and that data
was written with no error reported. If you reboot or shuts down the system
prior to it finishing or otherwise cancels the process then you won't see a
completion in the log and the file will give you the message you got.
When the file is closed, windows flushes cached data, if you have a drive
that is not marked as hot swappable and remove before Windows flushes its
cache, it will tell you about data lost (if the drive is marked as hot
swappable, windows flushes it right away). But windows will tell you if
it had problem writing any data it had cached.
Your only way to try restoring is via the /recover switch passed on the
command line.
"TraumaDoc" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit SP1
IFW 2.90
TBView 4.34.0
Did a boot time image creation of a secondary data disk on my laptop. It
said image was created successfully, but I did not do a verify - as it was
400 GB of data.
Now, I'm trying to restore data from my tbi file and it is failing in IFW
and TBView and won't mount. The error is:
Image File XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.TBI is Missing Data Written on Completion
Error 64 opening file XXXXXXXXXXX.TBI
I suppose I am totally screwed, right? There is no way to recover this
data? Is the file corrupt and totally useless? It would seem to me that
the data inside the file should be accessible by some means or another.
But, I admit, as it was with "normal" compression then it might be
"compressed" in some way that I can't get, right?
So, what's up with this? Can I get the data out of it?
on completion. If it said it completed, then it completed and that data
was written with no error reported. If you reboot or shuts down the system
prior to it finishing or otherwise cancels the process then you won't see a
completion in the log and the file will give you the message you got.
When the file is closed, windows flushes cached data, if you have a drive
that is not marked as hot swappable and remove before Windows flushes its
cache, it will tell you about data lost (if the drive is marked as hot
swappable, windows flushes it right away). But windows will tell you if
it had problem writing any data it had cached.
Your only way to try restoring is via the /recover switch passed on the
command line.
"TraumaDoc" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit SP1
IFW 2.90
TBView 4.34.0
Did a boot time image creation of a secondary data disk on my laptop. It
said image was created successfully, but I did not do a verify - as it was
400 GB of data.
Now, I'm trying to restore data from my tbi file and it is failing in IFW
and TBView and won't mount. The error is:
Image File XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.TBI is Missing Data Written on Completion
Error 64 opening file XXXXXXXXXXX.TBI
I suppose I am totally screwed, right? There is no way to recover this
data? Is the file corrupt and totally useless? It would seem to me that
the data inside the file should be accessible by some means or another.
But, I admit, as it was with "normal" compression then it might be
"compressed" in some way that I can't get, right?
So, what's up with this? Can I get the data out of it?
Re: Missing Data Written on Completion
I've tried it now too and still the same error. I have run the following from a command prompt in the IFW folder as follows:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2\imagew64.exe" /recover ... running it causes IFW to run/open but I get the exact same error messages when trying to open the specific TBI
So is it safe to say that if I'm getting an error with the /recover switch that I am out of luck and the file is entirely useless to me? No way to extract data from it?
"C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2\imagew64.exe" /recover ... running it causes IFW to run/open but I get the exact same error messages when trying to open the specific TBI
So is it safe to say that if I'm getting an error with the /recover switch that I am out of luck and the file is entirely useless to me? No way to extract data from it?
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Missing Data Written on Completion
If you backed up directly to a CD/DVD/BD you can't just restore the file or
you'll get the same message - you have to restore from the physical drive
itself by selecting the drive and not the file via an OS path (drive letter
or mount point, etc..).
It looks like /recover was disabled in 2.86 due to a format change. We can
probably look if it's possible to enable it again. But even then what you
can get back depends on how far into the backup it was before the system
restarted or process was killed.
"TraumaDoc" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I've tried it now too and still the same error. I have run the following
from a command prompt in the IFW folder as follows:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for
Windows\V2\imagew64.exe" /recover ... running it causes IFW to run/open but
I get the exact same error messages when trying to open the specific TBI
So is it safe to say that if I'm getting an error with the /recover switch
that I am out of luck and the file is entirely useless to me? No way to
extract data from it?
you'll get the same message - you have to restore from the physical drive
itself by selecting the drive and not the file via an OS path (drive letter
or mount point, etc..).
It looks like /recover was disabled in 2.86 due to a format change. We can
probably look if it's possible to enable it again. But even then what you
can get back depends on how far into the backup it was before the system
restarted or process was killed.
"TraumaDoc" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I've tried it now too and still the same error. I have run the following
from a command prompt in the IFW folder as follows:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for
Windows\V2\imagew64.exe" /recover ... running it causes IFW to run/open but
I get the exact same error messages when trying to open the specific TBI
So is it safe to say that if I'm getting an error with the /recover switch
that I am out of luck and the file is entirely useless to me? No way to
extract data from it?
Re: Missing Data Written on Completion
My backup was done with a bootdisk created with the bootdisk creation tool of IFW 2.90. My notebook computer has 3 SATA drives. The backup was done on a secondary drive used only for photos, movies, etc., just data. The backup TBI file was saved to the 3rd internal, SATA notebook drive (2.5 inch). All things internal - system has 2 built-in drive bays and I have an SATA tray adapter for adding a 3rd drive via the CDROM slot which is also SATA.
The backup took about 3 hours with normal compression, said completed succesfully, and the computer was not touched or powered off for more than an hour after the logged time showing the successful backup.
In IFW I can click the details button about a backup file and see the comments that I added to the file during the backup process, but still cannot open the file with or without the /recover switch.
So, when I try to do the restore, the file is still in its original storage location - an SATA HDD that is in the same slot, same disk configuration, etc. It is in a folder with two other older backups that can be opened. So, clearly it's an issue with just this one individual TBI file.
So, are you saying that there is no way other than using TVIView or TBIMount or IFW directly to get data out? I've tried it with the 32/64 Bit versions, done a boot time try, etc. and I continue to get the same error.
So, are there other tools or options to get data out or should I just go ahead and give up and get rid of the 400 GB backup TBI file?
The backup took about 3 hours with normal compression, said completed succesfully, and the computer was not touched or powered off for more than an hour after the logged time showing the successful backup.
In IFW I can click the details button about a backup file and see the comments that I added to the file during the backup process, but still cannot open the file with or without the /recover switch.
So, when I try to do the restore, the file is still in its original storage location - an SATA HDD that is in the same slot, same disk configuration, etc. It is in a folder with two other older backups that can be opened. So, clearly it's an issue with just this one individual TBI file.
So, are you saying that there is no way other than using TVIView or TBIMount or IFW directly to get data out? I've tried it with the 32/64 Bit versions, done a boot time try, etc. and I continue to get the same error.
So, are there other tools or options to get data out or should I just go ahead and give up and get rid of the 400 GB backup TBI file?
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Missing Data Written on Completion
You can wait until the /recover option is brought back, but that is the only
way to get data out of a file where the backup file is missing the data
written on completion (writing that data is part of the completion process
prior to any completion message and any failure would abort with a failed
message). You can use the grab utility from the ftp site and capture the
first 64K of that file and email to support for quick check of some things.
"TraumaDoc" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
My backup was done with a bootdisk created with the bootdisk creation tool
of IFW 2.90. My notebook computer has 3 SATA drives. The backup was done
on a secondary drive used only for photos, movies, etc., just data. The
backup TBI file was saved to the 3rd internal, SATA notebook drive (2.5
inch). All things internal - system has 2 built-in drive bays and I have an
SATA tray adapter for adding a 3rd drive via the CDROM slot which is also
SATA.
The backup took about 3 hours with normal compression, said completed
succesfully, and the computer was not touched or powered off for more than
an hour after the logged time showing the successful backup.
In IFW I can click the details button about a backup file and see the
comments that I added to the file during the backup process, but still
cannot open the file with or without the /recover switch.
So, when I try to do the restore, the file is still in its original storage
location - an SATA HDD that is in the same slot, same disk configuration,
etc. It is in a folder with two other older backups that can be opened.
So, clearly it's an issue with just this one individual TBI file.
So, are you saying that there is no way other than using TVIView or TBIMount
or IFW directly to get data out? I've tried it with the 32/64 Bit versions,
done a boot time try, etc. and I continue to get the same error.
So, are there other tools or options to get data out or should I just go
ahead and give up and get rid of the 400 GB backup TBI file?
way to get data out of a file where the backup file is missing the data
written on completion (writing that data is part of the completion process
prior to any completion message and any failure would abort with a failed
message). You can use the grab utility from the ftp site and capture the
first 64K of that file and email to support for quick check of some things.
"TraumaDoc" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
My backup was done with a bootdisk created with the bootdisk creation tool
of IFW 2.90. My notebook computer has 3 SATA drives. The backup was done
on a secondary drive used only for photos, movies, etc., just data. The
backup TBI file was saved to the 3rd internal, SATA notebook drive (2.5
inch). All things internal - system has 2 built-in drive bays and I have an
SATA tray adapter for adding a 3rd drive via the CDROM slot which is also
SATA.
The backup took about 3 hours with normal compression, said completed
succesfully, and the computer was not touched or powered off for more than
an hour after the logged time showing the successful backup.
In IFW I can click the details button about a backup file and see the
comments that I added to the file during the backup process, but still
cannot open the file with or without the /recover switch.
So, when I try to do the restore, the file is still in its original storage
location - an SATA HDD that is in the same slot, same disk configuration,
etc. It is in a folder with two other older backups that can be opened.
So, clearly it's an issue with just this one individual TBI file.
So, are you saying that there is no way other than using TVIView or TBIMount
or IFW directly to get data out? I've tried it with the 32/64 Bit versions,
done a boot time try, etc. and I continue to get the same error.
So, are there other tools or options to get data out or should I just go
ahead and give up and get rid of the 400 GB backup TBI file?
Re: Missing Data Written on Completion
I don't know the location of the grab utility to which you are referring, can you specify?
Of note, I still had an old copy of IFW 2.83, so I reinstalled my version of IFW to 2.83 and then ran imagew64 /recover and was able to now select the image file for restore, then got the restore options screen, then asked to confirm overwriting the destination, but then it fails with the error: Image Stream is Corrupt. Please Reboot. Rebooted, but still get same Image Stream is Corrupt Error. Also, it will not mount in TBView or TBMount while under IFW 2.83.
Of note, I still had an old copy of IFW 2.83, so I reinstalled my version of IFW to 2.83 and then ran imagew64 /recover and was able to now select the image file for restore, then got the restore options screen, then asked to confirm overwriting the destination, but then it fails with the error: Image Stream is Corrupt. Please Reboot. Rebooted, but still get same Image Stream is Corrupt Error. Also, it will not mount in TBView or TBMount while under IFW 2.83.