How to restore to SSD and bootable??

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
pyrotech
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:57 am

How to restore to SSD and bootable??

Post by pyrotech »

My situation:
I've got a new Dell PC with a 1 TB hard drive. It has 3 partions [dell][recovery][os]. It is Win 7 x64 and I have installed programs and data thus far. I would like to replace the HDD with a 240GB SSD.
I've used IFW for years with not a problem. So that's they way I am trying to do the transfer. My full backup went well, as expected. I did Compact, and Shrink the [os] partition so it would fit on the smaller target drive. The Restore went well, but when I try to boot the new drive, it goes into windows 'recovery'. It never recovers from that.
Any ideas out there for me? Am I barking up the wrong tree by using IFW. Would CopyWipe work?
I've been at it all weekend and I am stumped.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??

Post by Brian K »

pyrotech,

Is Win7 or Recovery the Active partition?
pyrotech
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:57 am

Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??

Post by pyrotech »

Recovery is the Active partition on my source disk and my target disk. I've never had a Dell before, they aren't quite standard. While trying to get it to boot, I changed the active partition to the [os] partion and got a message there were no boot files.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??

Post by Brian K »

That's fine, the Recovery partition is Active in most Win7 Dells.

What you did sounds fine. How did you use IFW for the restore? TBWinRE? TBWinPE? Single partitions or Entire drive restore?
Can you check BCD Edit in BIBM?

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=492
pyrotech
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:57 am

Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??

Post by pyrotech »

Thanks for your help.
I restored from IFW, I used a usb to sata adapter cable, so that the SSD was not the boot drive.
I did not try BIBM, however I will this afternoon. I'll be back with the results.
Thanks again for your guidance.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??

Post by Brian K »

pyrotech,

If BCD Edit doesn't fix it, try this. I always have the new drive mounted internally and a restore always works. I've never seen a TeraByte restore failure.

Remove the 1 TB HD and install the SSD. Restore using IFW, IFL or IFD. You can reinstall the 1 TB HD later (if desired), after the SSD is booting Win7 normally.
pyrotech
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:57 am

Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??

Post by pyrotech »

I will try the sata connection opposed to usb. I'm suspecting maybe I made the backup with the wrong options checked. I haven't used IFW in a couple of years, things change. I will make a project of the manual. Man, I used to be so smart...
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??

Post by Brian K »

Are you using the latest IFW? Ver 2.92.
pyrotech
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:57 am

Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??

Post by pyrotech »

I'm using v2.90.
Could that be a problem?
pyrotech
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:57 am

Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??

Post by pyrotech »

Just upgraded to v2.92 and am trying it again.
Re-reading the manual, I've got a question. I Compact the large partion, but then must I Resize it also?
Post Reply