So a few weeks ago I tried restoring an image of a Windows Server 2003 system from one machine to another and had no luck. I figured the hardware was just too old.
After that I attempted to restore a Windows Server 2008 system and was successful.
Now I'm trying to restore a Windows Server 2008 R2 on to a different system and I'm getting the same issue I had with the 2003 system. I tried using the OSD tool to delete the current drivers and load the RAID drivers from a flash drive but to no avail.
I was able to restore it to a virtual machine (as well as the 2003 system), so I don't think there's an issue with the image itself. This is a different machine than with the 2003 or 2008 servers but is the same make and model.
The driver I have is the only one available from Dell's website for this server.
I've also been able to successfully install Windows 2008 R2 from scratch on these systems without any issues.
I tried running system recovery to try to rebuild the MBR but it didn't find any issues with it.
Not sure what else I can try?
Blue Screen after restore
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Blue Screen after restore
If it's 0x7b it's the storage drivers. You'd use OSDTOOL to remove all
drivers, install all standard drivers, then install your specific RAID
driver (ensure it matches the Windows version and that hardware
specifically).
"bhenson" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
So a few weeks ago I tried restoring an image of a Windows Server 2003
system from one machine to another and had no luck. I figured the hardware
was just too old.
After that I attempted to restore a Windows Server 2008 system and was
successful.
Now I'm trying to restore a Windows Server 2008 R2 on to a different system
and I'm getting the same issue I had with the 2003 system. I tried using the
OSD tool to delete the current drivers and load the RAID drivers from a
flash drive but to no avail.
I was able to restore it to a virtual machine (as well as the 2003 system),
so I don't think there's an issue with the image itself. This is a different
machine than with the 2003 or 2008 servers but is the same make and model.
The driver I have is the only one available from Dell's website for this
server.
I've also been able to successfully install Windows 2008 R2 from scratch on
these systems without any issues.
I tried running system recovery to try to rebuild the MBR but it didn't find
any issues with it.
Not sure what else I can try?
drivers, install all standard drivers, then install your specific RAID
driver (ensure it matches the Windows version and that hardware
specifically).
"bhenson" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
So a few weeks ago I tried restoring an image of a Windows Server 2003
system from one machine to another and had no luck. I figured the hardware
was just too old.
After that I attempted to restore a Windows Server 2008 system and was
successful.
Now I'm trying to restore a Windows Server 2008 R2 on to a different system
and I'm getting the same issue I had with the 2003 system. I tried using the
OSD tool to delete the current drivers and load the RAID drivers from a
flash drive but to no avail.
I was able to restore it to a virtual machine (as well as the 2003 system),
so I don't think there's an issue with the image itself. This is a different
machine than with the 2003 or 2008 servers but is the same make and model.
The driver I have is the only one available from Dell's website for this
server.
I've also been able to successfully install Windows 2008 R2 from scratch on
these systems without any issues.
I tried running system recovery to try to rebuild the MBR but it didn't find
any issues with it.
Not sure what else I can try?
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Blue Screen after restore
it's also important that your image is clean before running osdtool or
windows can unroll the ntfs log and undo changes osdtool makes - you can
create an offline backup to ensure that's not an issue - or load the drive
on a system so Windows sees and can access it at some point (or boot TBWinRE
/ TBWinPE ..) to cause Windows to unroll, then run osdtool.
"bhenson" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
So a few weeks ago I tried restoring an image of a Windows Server 2003
system from one machine to another and had no luck. I figured the hardware
was just too old.
After that I attempted to restore a Windows Server 2008 system and was
successful.
Now I'm trying to restore a Windows Server 2008 R2 on to a different system
and I'm getting the same issue I had with the 2003 system. I tried using the
OSD tool to delete the current drivers and load the RAID drivers from a
flash drive but to no avail.
I was able to restore it to a virtual machine (as well as the 2003 system),
so I don't think there's an issue with the image itself. This is a different
machine than with the 2003 or 2008 servers but is the same make and model.
The driver I have is the only one available from Dell's website for this
server.
I've also been able to successfully install Windows 2008 R2 from scratch on
these systems without any issues.
I tried running system recovery to try to rebuild the MBR but it didn't find
any issues with it.
Not sure what else I can try?
windows can unroll the ntfs log and undo changes osdtool makes - you can
create an offline backup to ensure that's not an issue - or load the drive
on a system so Windows sees and can access it at some point (or boot TBWinRE
/ TBWinPE ..) to cause Windows to unroll, then run osdtool.
"bhenson" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
So a few weeks ago I tried restoring an image of a Windows Server 2003
system from one machine to another and had no luck. I figured the hardware
was just too old.
After that I attempted to restore a Windows Server 2008 system and was
successful.
Now I'm trying to restore a Windows Server 2008 R2 on to a different system
and I'm getting the same issue I had with the 2003 system. I tried using the
OSD tool to delete the current drivers and load the RAID drivers from a
flash drive but to no avail.
I was able to restore it to a virtual machine (as well as the 2003 system),
so I don't think there's an issue with the image itself. This is a different
machine than with the 2003 or 2008 servers but is the same make and model.
The driver I have is the only one available from Dell's website for this
server.
I've also been able to successfully install Windows 2008 R2 from scratch on
these systems without any issues.
I tried running system recovery to try to rebuild the MBR but it didn't find
any issues with it.
Not sure what else I can try?
Re: Blue Screen after restore
"offline backup" how do I do that? It's not mentioned in the manual.
I'll try TBWinPE to see if I have any better luck.
TeraByte Support wrote:
> it's also important that your image is clean before running osdtool or
> windows can unroll the ntfs log and undo changes osdtool makes - you can
> create an offline backup to ensure that's not an issue - or load the drive
>
> on a system so Windows sees and can access it at some point (or boot
> TBWinRE
> / TBWinPE ..) to cause Windows to unroll, then run osdtool.
>
>
I'll try TBWinPE to see if I have any better luck.
TeraByte Support wrote:
> it's also important that your image is clean before running osdtool or
> windows can unroll the ntfs log and undo changes osdtool makes - you can
> create an offline backup to ensure that's not an issue - or load the drive
>
> on a system so Windows sees and can access it at some point (or boot
> TBWinRE
> / TBWinPE ..) to cause Windows to unroll, then run osdtool.
>
>
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Blue Screen after restore
backup using a boot disk.
"bhenson" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
"offline backup" how do I do that? It's not mentioned in the manual.
I'll try TBWinPE to see if I have any better luck.
TeraByte Support wrote:
> it's also important that your image is clean before running osdtool or
> windows can unroll the ntfs log and undo changes osdtool makes - you can
> create an offline backup to ensure that's not an issue - or load the drive
>
> on a system so Windows sees and can access it at some point (or boot
> TBWinRE
> / TBWinPE ..) to cause Windows to unroll, then run osdtool.
>
>
"bhenson" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
"offline backup" how do I do that? It's not mentioned in the manual.
I'll try TBWinPE to see if I have any better luck.
TeraByte Support wrote:
> it's also important that your image is clean before running osdtool or
> windows can unroll the ntfs log and undo changes osdtool makes - you can
> create an offline backup to ensure that's not an issue - or load the drive
>
> on a system so Windows sees and can access it at some point (or boot
> TBWinRE
> / TBWinPE ..) to cause Windows to unroll, then run osdtool.
>
>
Re: Blue Screen after restore
I can use TBWinPE as an alternative though?
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Blue Screen after restore
yes, just access the drive (or you can use that for the offline backup).
"bhenson" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I can use TBWinPE as an alternative though?
"bhenson" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I can use TBWinPE as an alternative though?
Re: Blue Screen after restore
OK guys, I am officially in business. I just restored another image that was having the same BSOD errors, removed drivers, installed standard IDE/AHCI drivers through OSD tool, went into service controller and set LSI_SAS to boot
booted into the OS and waited for keyboard, then logged in and everything is there. It works!
Thank you all for your help. I would not have thought to check that. I'm going to test my other images and see if they work.
Thank you again, this case can be considered resolved.
booted into the OS and waited for keyboard, then logged in and everything is there. It works!
Thank you all for your help. I would not have thought to check that. I'm going to test my other images and see if they work.
Thank you again, this case can be considered resolved.
Re: Blue Screen after restore
You should use latest osdtool: there has been a correction in the latest version, in the cleaning of drivers, for the "RDP server" to still work (see the topic about it in the "OSD Tool Suite" forum).
bhenson wrote:
> I am using whatever version of OSD tool that came with IFW 2.9.1, the version of OSD
> tool I have on my computer looks like 1.54
bhenson wrote:
> I am using whatever version of OSD tool that came with IFW 2.9.1, the version of OSD
> tool I have on my computer looks like 1.54