> dirty, try backing up from windows or from the boot disk."
After I fix this problem, I may take a look at installing the program on Linux so that I can use it from there directly, but so far I have only ever used Windows or the IFL boot disk. The closest I have come to doing it in Linux is while booting from the ISO image in a VM on QEMU, which works nicely too.
Anyway, it appears that I have managed to get the wrong type ID put on these two partitions because they show up as type 7. So I need to fix this before it causes a bigger problem with another program. Fortunately, it appears to me that this field is more informative than anything else, at least based on my activities with it for the most part. I think, from what I have been able to find so far while googling this issue, I should be able to change the IDs with, say, fdisk without loosing any data. I know that the images from them work fine after restoring, as I mentioned before, and I do have good backups in any case.