Backing Up CIFS Share
Backing Up CIFS Share
Not thinking, I moved the data to be backed up from an internal RAID to an external NAS. Now IFW doesn't see the CIFS volume. Is there any way to get IFW to see a mapped CIFS volume as the backup source? I have a bad feeling the answer will be in the negative; if this is the case, would converting the NAS volume to iSCSI be a viable alternative? (IFW is running on Windows 7 Pro.)
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Backing Up CIFS Share
Windows should support CIFS. Image for Windows would support whatever
Windows is providing access to via the UNC for it. You may need to manually
type in the UNC.
"Birdman" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Not thinking, I moved the data to be backed up from an internal RAID to an
external NAS. Now IFW doesn't see the CIFS volume. Is there any way to get
IFW to see a mapped CIFS volume as the backup source? I have a bad feeling
the answer will be in the negative; if this is the case, would converting
the NAS volume to iSCSI be a viable alternative? (IFW is running on Windows
7 Pro.)
Windows is providing access to via the UNC for it. You may need to manually
type in the UNC.
"Birdman" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Not thinking, I moved the data to be backed up from an internal RAID to an
external NAS. Now IFW doesn't see the CIFS volume. Is there any way to get
IFW to see a mapped CIFS volume as the backup source? I have a bad feeling
the answer will be in the negative; if this is the case, would converting
the NAS volume to iSCSI be a viable alternative? (IFW is running on Windows
7 Pro.)
Re: Backing Up CIFS Share
Then, can you give me some idea how to specify the source drive? The UNC is \\EuroBak\Bak_Z, which is mapped to the Z: drive. I've tried:
/d:?Z:
/d:\\EuroBak\Bak_Z
/d:?\\EuroBak\Bak_Z
/d:w\\EuroBak\Bak_Z
Thanks!
/d:?Z:
/d:\\EuroBak\Bak_Z
/d:?\\EuroBak\Bak_Z
/d:w\\EuroBak\Bak_Z
Thanks!
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Backing Up CIFS Share
You can't backup the share, it's not a file backup, the partition or drive
has to be a local drive attached to the system. The backup file can be put
on the share or restored from the share.
"Birdman" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Then, can you give me some idea how to specify the source drive? The UNC is
\\EuroBak\Bak_Z, which is mapped to the Z: drive. I've tried:
/d:?Z:
/d:\\EuroBak\Bak_Z
/d:?\\EuroBak\Bak_Z
/d:w\\EuroBak\Bak_Z
Thanks!
has to be a local drive attached to the system. The backup file can be put
on the share or restored from the share.
"Birdman" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Then, can you give me some idea how to specify the source drive? The UNC is
\\EuroBak\Bak_Z, which is mapped to the Z: drive. I've tried:
/d:?Z:
/d:\\EuroBak\Bak_Z
/d:?\\EuroBak\Bak_Z
/d:w\\EuroBak\Bak_Z
Thanks!
Re: Backing Up CIFS Share
Ok, thanks - I was afraid that was the case. I guess I'll try reformatting the share as an iSCSI volume.