Using the makeHDD script to install IFL to a USB

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
Brian49
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Using the makeHDD script to install IFL to a USB

Post by Brian49 »

When I try to use the makeHDD script to install IFL to a USB, I get these messages in the terminal:

Formatting drive /dev/sdb as FAT32
Installing the syslinux boot loader to /dev/sdb
Error converting to codepage 850 Invalid argument
Cannot initialize 'S:'
Bad target s:/ldlinux.sys
util/syslinux-64: failed to create ldlinux.sys
Installation of boot loader to /dev/sdb failed...exiting

Please help me understand what's going wrong. Many thanks.
TeraByte Support(TP)
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: Using the makeHDD script to install IFL to a USB

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

Brian49 wrote:
> When I try to use the makeHDD script to install IFL to a USB, I get these
> messages in the terminal:
>
> Formatting drive /dev/sdb as FAT32
> Installing the syslinux boot loader to /dev/sdb
> Error converting to codepage 850 Invalid argument
> Cannot initialize 'S:'
> Bad target s:/ldlinux.sys
> util/syslinux-64: failed to create ldlinux.sys
> Installation of boot loader to /dev/sdb failed...exiting
>
> Please help me understand what's going wrong. Many thanks.

Brian,
Let me know what distribution that is (distro name, version, and 32 or 64 bit), and I'll see if I can duplicate the problem.

Edit: Also, what IFL version are you using?
Brian49
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Using the makeHDD script to install IFL to a USB

Post by Brian49 »

Thanks for responding.

My main system (if that's what you mean) is Linux Mint Debian Edition Xfce, 64-bit.

I'm using IFL version 2.87.
TeraByte Support(TP)
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: Using the makeHDD script to install IFL to a USB

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

Brian49 wrote:
> Thanks for responding.
>
> My main system (if that's what you mean) is Linux Mint Debian Edition Xfce,
> 64-bit.
>
> I'm using IFL version 2.87.

I meant the distribution that you're running makeHDD from when that problem occurs. If that's the one, I'll need to install it and give it a try. Is that the current release of Linux Mint Debian Xfce?
Brian49
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Using the makeHDD script to install IFL to a USB

Post by Brian49 »

Yes, I'm running makeHDD from LMDE. However, the developers stopped updating the Xfce edition some time ago. The copy I'm running dates from two years ago, so you may not be able to obtain it. Moreover, I've applied a great many package updates since then.
TeraByte Support(TP)
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: Using the makeHDD script to install IFL to a USB

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

Brian49 wrote:
> Yes, I'm running makeHDD from LMDE. However, the developers stopped
> updating the Xfce edition some time ago. The copy I'm running dates from
> two years ago, so you may not be able to obtain it. Moreover, I've applied
> a great many package updates since then.

One thing you could try for now is to rename (or delete) the file util/syslinux-64 in your extracted IFL directory, so that makeHDD can't find it.
Then, install the Linux Mint 'syslinux' package (if not already installed) with 'apt-get install syslinux'

Then try running makeHDD again and see if it gets past that errror condition.
Brian49
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Using the makeHDD script to install IFL to a USB

Post by Brian49 »

Thanks - I'll try that suggestion next time round. This time I've resorted to my usual method for installing to USB, namely Unetbootin.
Post Reply