Freezing of program while trying to restore from a USB external hard drive

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
JoRene41
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Freezing of program while trying to restore from a USB external hard drive

Post by JoRene41 »

Hello,

I was trying to restore as image of my C drive using IFD. The image was on
an external hard drive connected by a USB cable. All went well, but the
program kept freezing at 1% completed and nothing would work. I could not
even cancel as the entire program had frozen. This was on a laptop, so no
usb keyboard was in use. What would cause this? Luckily I was still able
to boot into the windows drive well enough to copy the image to a Data drive
I had on the hard drive and then started again. The image restored
successfully from the hard drive, so the image itself was not at fault. I
was using the latest version of IFD. Since I usually depend on the images
on the USB hard drive, I need to find out what is causing the problem, as I
might not always be able to copy the image to an internal hard drive.

Thank you.

mjnelson99
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:24 am

Re: Freezing of program while trying to restore from a USB external

Post by mjnelson99 »

One thing I thought of is try a different USB cable if
possible. Is your drive AC powered?

You might want to test to see if you can open the file in
TBIView as well.
Mary

On 9/20/2013 11:14 AM, JoRene Anderson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to restore as image of my C drive using IFD. The image was on
> an external hard drive connected by a USB cable. All went well, but the
> program kept freezing at 1% completed and nothing would work. I could not
> even cancel as the entire program had frozen. This was on a laptop, so no
> usb keyboard was in use. What would cause this? Luckily I was still able
> to boot into the windows drive well enough to copy the image to a Data drive
> I had on the hard drive and then started again. The image restored
> successfully from the hard drive, so the image itself was not at fault. I
> was using the latest version of IFD. Since I usually depend on the images
> on the USB hard drive, I need to find out what is causing the problem, as I
> might not always be able to copy the image to an internal hard drive.
>
> Thank you.
>
>
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Freezing of program while trying to restore from a USB external hard drive

Post by TeraByte Support »

You can try creating the boot disk with the two USB hang options enabled
which work around bugs in host controllers and the devices. Or just use
Image for Linux instead.

"JoRene Anderson" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Hello,

I was trying to restore as image of my C drive using IFD. The image was on
an external hard drive connected by a USB cable. All went well, but the
program kept freezing at 1% completed and nothing would work. I could not
even cancel as the entire program had frozen. This was on a laptop, so no
usb keyboard was in use. What would cause this? Luckily I was still able
to boot into the windows drive well enough to copy the image to a Data drive
I had on the hard drive and then started again. The image restored
successfully from the hard drive, so the image itself was not at fault. I
was using the latest version of IFD. Since I usually depend on the images
on the USB hard drive, I need to find out what is causing the problem, as I
might not always be able to copy the image to an internal hard drive.

Thank you.

giulia
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:16 am

Re: Freezing of program while trying to restore from a USB e

Post by giulia »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> You can try creating the boot disk with the two USB hang options enabled
> which work around bugs in host controllers and the devices. Or just use
> Image for Linux instead.
>
> "JoRene Anderson" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to restore as image of my C drive using IFD. The image was
> on
> an external hard drive connected by a USB cable. All went well, but the
> program kept freezing at 1% completed and nothing would work. I could not
> even cancel as the entire program had frozen. This was on a laptop, so no
> usb keyboard was in use. What would cause this? Luckily I was still able
> to boot into the windows drive well enough to copy the image to a Data
> drive
> I had on the hard drive and then started again. The image restored
> successfully from the hard drive, so the image itself was not at fault. I
> was using the latest version of IFD. Since I usually depend on the images
> on the USB hard drive, I need to find out what is causing the problem, as
> I
> might not always be able to copy the image to an internal hard drive.
>
> Thank you.

hi when image for dos will support usb3 speed?
JoRene41
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: Freezing of program while trying to restore from a USB external

Post by JoRene41 »

The drive is AC powered? And I was able to open the file in TIBIView. I
will try a different cable, if I can find one...and also try the suggestion
by Terabyte to create the IFD disk with the USB hang options checked. Since
I've never had a problem before, I haven't been doing that. I have restored
from that drive with no issues using earlier versions of IFD.

Thanks.

"mjnelson99" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

One thing I thought of is try a different USB cable if
possible. Is your drive AC powered?

You might want to test to see if you can open the file in
TBIView as well.
Mary

On 9/20/2013 11:14 AM, JoRene Anderson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to restore as image of my C drive using IFD. The image was
> on
> an external hard drive connected by a USB cable. All went well, but the
> program kept freezing at 1% completed and nothing would work. I could not
> even cancel as the entire program had frozen. This was on a laptop, so no
> usb keyboard was in use. What would cause this? Luckily I was still able
> to boot into the windows drive well enough to copy the image to a Data
> drive
> I had on the hard drive and then started again. The image restored
> successfully from the hard drive, so the image itself was not at fault. I
> was using the latest version of IFD. Since I usually depend on the images
> on the USB hard drive, I need to find out what is causing the problem, as
> I
> might not always be able to copy the image to an internal hard drive.
>
> Thank you.
>
>

TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Freezing of program while trying to restore from a USB e

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

JoRene41 wrote:
> I have restored from that drive with no issues using earlier versions of IFD.

Do you know which version was the last one that worked?

Did you use the exact same options when it worked (same IFD configuration settings, etc.)?

Which "Drive Interface" option did you select (BIOS or USB)?

Did you connect to the same USB port/controller on the laptop? Some have more than one controller. It's possible one may work while another doesn't.
Post Reply