Support for Microsoft's ReFS? (Resilient File System)

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
wakatashi
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Support for Microsoft's ReFS? (Resilient File System)

Post by wakatashi »

I wondering if there are plans afoot for Image for Windows to support Microsoft's new ReFS (Resilient File System) that's available in Windows Server 2012? Does anybody know?

Cheers,
Dave
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Support for Microsoft's ReFS? (Resilient File System)

Post by TeraByte Support »

for used areas it should find it now since it's NTFS at the low level, just
no file level support.

"wakatashi" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

I wondering if there are plans afoot for Image for Windows to support
Microsoft's new ReFS (Resilient File System) that's available in Windows
Server 2012? Does anybody know?

Cheers,
Dave

wakatashi
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Support for Microsoft's ReFS? (Resilient File System)

Post by wakatashi »

Thanks - so does that mean it's not possible to take incremental or differential images of an ReFS volume? If not, is support for this planned?
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Support for Microsoft's ReFS? (Resilient File System)

Post by TeraByte Support »

that should still work, just file access wouldn't. We'll look more at in the
future - but you don't have to use a FS that won't be documented.

I suggested they do that like Apple did with HFS+, but Microsoft said this:

"As -redacted- pointed out, we do not document, nor plan to document ReFS
on-media structures. This is information is not provided outside Microsoft
to any of the third party companies."



"wakatashi" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Thanks - so does that mean it's not possible to take incremental or
differential images of an ReFS volume? If not, is support for this planned?

wakatashi
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Support for Microsoft's ReFS? (Resilient File System)

Post by wakatashi »

Thanks - can I make sure I've understood correctly? So do you mean, if you wanted to restore from an image you'd created:

- the only option would be to restore a partition in its entirety?

- you couldn't restore individual files from within that partition?
mjnelson99
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:24 am

Re: Support for Microsoft's ReFS? (Resilient File System)

Post by mjnelson99 »

Isn't that what TBIView is for?
Mary

On 8/26/2013 5:44 AM, wakatashi wrote:
> Thanks - can I make sure I've understood correctly? So do you mean, if you wanted to restore from an image you'd created:
>
> - the only option would be to restore a partition in its entirety?
>
> - you couldn't restore individual files from within that partition?
>
>
wakatashi
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Support for Microsoft's ReFS? (Resilient File System)

Post by wakatashi »

> Isn't that what TBIView is for?

Yes, but from what I understand from Terabyte Support's reply, TBIView isn't able to understand the internal format of images created from ReFS partitions, so there's no way to get at the individual files. (I think I'm correct in saying this)
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Support for Microsoft's ReFS? (Resilient File System)

Post by TeraByte Support »

tbimount would work.

"wakatashi" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Isn't that what TBIView is for?

Yes, but from what I understand from Terabyte Support's reply, TBIView isn't
able to understand the internal format of images created from ReFS
partitions, so there's no way to get at the individual files. (I think I'm
correct in saying this)

wakatashi
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Support for Microsoft's ReFS? (Resilient File System)

Post by wakatashi »

TBIMount would work? So, in that case, would I be right in saying:

- Image for Windows supports Full, Incremental and Differential "backups" to be taken of an ReFS partition.

- Image for Windows can be used to restore an entire ReFS partition from an image file.

- TBIMount can be used to mount an image of an ReFS partition and map it to a drive letter, allowing individual files to be restored from that image.


Are all of the above correct?

Thanks,
Dave
Post Reply