Major Version 3?

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Major Version 3?

Post by TeraByte Support »

Nothing special about backing up a VM from within the VM - when your running
inside the VM, it's just like running on a computer as far as the software
knows.


"tanstaafl" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Hi Terabyte,

I'd really appreciate a response - even if the answer is 'No, there is no
documentation specific to using IFW for backing up VMs.'...

Thanks

tanstaafl wrote:



> Also, are there any other concerns with running IFW on a production server
> that is running as a VM (on ESXi in my case)?
>
> Do you have any documentation specific to VM environments - best
> practices,
> do's and - especially - don'ts? Again, nothing in the Manual about VM
> environments (that I can find).

tanstaafl
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: Major Version 3?

Post by tanstaafl »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> Nothing special about backing up a VM from within the VM...

Thanks Terabyte, but looking back I see I was unclear about my specific concern...

I'm much more concerned about the *restore* process. Specifically, with Windows Server, because sometimes Microsoft creates 'obstacles' (intentionally or not) with 3rd party tools like this...

So... is there anything specific I need to know about *restoring* a Windows Server from one of my backup images?

Thanks again, and sorry for not being clear before.

Charles
tanstaafl
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: Major Version 3?

Post by tanstaafl »

Also - any chance you can look into why I'm not getting email notifications of Topics I reply to, as I reported here:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... f=8&t=1220

Thanks
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Major Version 3?

Post by TeraByte Support »

Restoring within a VM is the same as restoring to a machine. So it's
again, the same.

"tanstaafl" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

TeraByte Support wrote:
> Nothing special about backing up a VM from within the VM...

Thanks Terabyte, but looking back I see I was unclear about my specific
concern...

I'm much more concerned about the *restore* process. Specifically, with
Windows Server, because sometimes Microsoft creates 'obstacles'
(intentionally or not) with 3rd party tools like this...

So... is there anything specific I need to know about *restoring* a Windows
Server from one of my backup images?

Thanks again, and sorry for not being clear before.

Charles

TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Major Version 3?

Post by TeraByte Support »

Private messaging is disabled, but don't see another setting preventing
forum notification messages unless it's related to that or perhaps getting
caught up in a spam filter???

"tanstaafl" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Also - any chance you can look into why I'm not getting email notifications
of Topics I reply to, as I reported here:

[
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1220
](http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1220)

Thanks

LittleB
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Re: Major Version 3?

Post by LittleB »

TeraByte: What do you think about adding in the scheduling ease of use feature I mentioned earlier?
tanstaafl
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: Major Version 3?

Post by tanstaafl »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> Private messaging is disabled, but don't see another setting preventing
> forum notification messages unless it's related to that or perhaps getting
> caught up in a spam filter???

No, I'd already checked that, but danged if they didn't start up again...

Weirdness...

Oh well, thanks for checking...
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Major Version 3?

Post by TeraByte Support »

Windows already has an easy to use and flexible scheduler - we tend to not
like to add bloat to users systems. They have a newer interface but you
basically have to duplicate what that dialog already does for you. But
overall, we'll look at it again....

"LittleB" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

TeraByte: What do you think about adding in the scheduling ease of use
feature I mentioned earlier?

a1pcfixer
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 am

Re: Major Version 3?

Post by a1pcfixer »

LittleB,

> If TeraByte made a 'friendlier' version of IFW...I would purchase that in a heartbeat.

Perhaps a dual mode version with Basic & Advanced user interface?
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002

a1pcfixer
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 am

Re: Major Version 3?

Post by a1pcfixer »

LittleB,

> If TeraByte made a 'friendlier' version of IFW...I would purchase that in a heartbeat.

Something rather simple, like having a 'basic' mode and an 'advanced' mode....sure would
boost user base & sales.
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002

Post Reply