I recently had an issue where a differential backup failed (corrupt image stream) due to a corrupted/faulty base full backup.
If one creates an incremental backup, will that fail due to a faulty base file too or only due to the faulty changes backup on which it is based?
TIA
DrT
Incremental validation
Re: Incremental validation
I'd also ask the same question for incrementals, but would add: Is the base and existing incremental chain checked before adding a new increment?
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Incremental validation
not sure of the question - but whichever file "goes bad" then that file and
any file based on it are no good.
"DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I recently had an issue where a differential backup failed (corrupt image
stream) due to a corrupted/faulty base full backup.
If one creates an incremental backup, will that fail due to a faulty base
file too or only due to the faulty changes backup on which it is based?
TIA
DrT
any file based on it are no good.
"DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I recently had an issue where a differential backup failed (corrupt image
stream) due to a corrupted/faulty base full backup.
If one creates an incremental backup, will that fail due to a faulty base
file too or only due to the faulty changes backup on which it is based?
TIA
DrT
Re: Incremental validation
On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 20:17:23 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"TeraByte Support" disturbed my
reverie and wrote:
>not sure of the question - but whichever file "goes bad" then that file and
>any file based on it are no good.
So, say one has a base backup and a chain of several incrementals, is
there any way of checking that all are sound?
--
Cheers,
DrT
** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
"TeraByte Support" disturbed my
reverie and wrote:
>not sure of the question - but whichever file "goes bad" then that file and
>any file based on it are no good.
So, say one has a base backup and a chain of several incrementals, is
there any way of checking that all are sound?
--
Cheers,
DrT
** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Incremental validation
validation of the latest one.
"DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 20:17:23 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"TeraByte Support"
disturbed my
reverie and wrote:
>not sure of the question - but whichever file "goes bad" then that file and
>any file based on it are no good.
So, say one has a base backup and a chain of several incrementals, is
there any way of checking that all are sound?
--
Cheers,
DrT
** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
"DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 20:17:23 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"TeraByte Support"
disturbed my
reverie and wrote:
>not sure of the question - but whichever file "goes bad" then that file and
>any file based on it are no good.
So, say one has a base backup and a chain of several incrementals, is
there any way of checking that all are sound?
--
Cheers,
DrT
** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
-
mjnelson99
- Posts: 785
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:24 am
Re: Incremental validation
I guess with very large drives it is more practical not to
do a full image.
I am glad my own situation is such that I have only done
complete images so the issue of a bad incremental will not
come up.
It probably pays to periodically re-validate your initial
image as well. I have had DVD images go bad more frequently
than images to SD cards or D: on my laptop. My x64 laptop
takes at least a 16 GB SD card, even on my old computer with
Win 7 X86.
Some card readers cannot handle a 32 GB SD card so if you
have gotten them, make sure your reader will do so.
Mary
On 6/9/2013 12:55 PM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> validation of the latest one.
>
> "DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 20:17:23 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
> "TeraByte Support"
>
> disturbed my
> reverie and wrote:
>
>> not sure of the question - but whichever file "goes bad" then that file and
>> any file based on it are no good.
>
> So, say one has a base backup and a chain of several incrementals, is
> there any way of checking that all are sound?
>
do a full image.
I am glad my own situation is such that I have only done
complete images so the issue of a bad incremental will not
come up.
It probably pays to periodically re-validate your initial
image as well. I have had DVD images go bad more frequently
than images to SD cards or D: on my laptop. My x64 laptop
takes at least a 16 GB SD card, even on my old computer with
Win 7 X86.
Some card readers cannot handle a 32 GB SD card so if you
have gotten them, make sure your reader will do so.
Mary
On 6/9/2013 12:55 PM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> validation of the latest one.
>
> "DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 20:17:23 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
> "TeraByte Support"
>
> disturbed my
> reverie and wrote:
>
>> not sure of the question - but whichever file "goes bad" then that file and
>> any file based on it are no good.
>
> So, say one has a base backup and a chain of several incrementals, is
> there any way of checking that all are sound?
>
Re: Incremental validation
Mary,
>> I am glad my own situation is such that I have only done
>> complete images so the issue of a bad incremental will not
>> come up.
My issue in creating a differential was due to a bad full backup base file. It was validated on creation the previous week.
DrT
>> I am glad my own situation is such that I have only done
>> complete images so the issue of a bad incremental will not
>> come up.
My issue in creating a differential was due to a bad full backup base file. It was validated on creation the previous week.
DrT
-
mjnelson99
- Posts: 785
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:24 am
Re: Incremental validation
I guess bad initial backups are impossible to completely avoid.
That is one reason I use both my D drive and SD cards.
I rarely go more than a week w/o imaging. I do make a backup
of Thunderbird every night using MozBackup so at least that
would be pretty current.
Mary
On 6/11/2013 2:40 AM, DrTeeth wrote:
> Mary,
>
>>> I am glad my own situation is such that I have only done
>>> complete images so the issue of a bad incremental will not
>>> come up.
>
> My issue in creating a differential was due to a bad full backup base file. It was validated on creation the previous week.
>
> DrT
>
>
That is one reason I use both my D drive and SD cards.
I rarely go more than a week w/o imaging. I do make a backup
of Thunderbird every night using MozBackup so at least that
would be pretty current.
Mary
On 6/11/2013 2:40 AM, DrTeeth wrote:
> Mary,
>
>>> I am glad my own situation is such that I have only done
>>> complete images so the issue of a bad incremental will not
>>> come up.
>
> My issue in creating a differential was due to a bad full backup base file. It was validated on creation the previous week.
>
> DrT
>
>