Is there a way that I could build an IFL boot cd-rom with a command line
included to run my backups? I would prefer not to use software other
than Terabyte (e.g. BartPE), since that would require a learning curve
for me.
On my Bootcamp laptop Phylock cannot use Disk (instead of RAM - causing
failure to complete) when I attempt to run IFW, I was wondering if
there is a way to semi-automate IFL Backups? David passed along some
ideas, none of which helped, so I guess I am stuck.
Note this only happens if attempt a full drive image. If I only backup
the Bootcamp partiton, then all is well.
As you know, a manual Backup with IFL is a big pain-especially if you do
it often, so a custom IFL CD with a built-in command line would be
desirable.
Would, of course, love to cure the RAM vs Disk problem so I could use
IFW, but any ideas appreciated.
AlanD
Semi-Automate IFL Backup
-
TeraByte Support(TP)
- Posts: 305
- Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
AlanD wrote:
> Is there a way that I could build an IFL boot cd-rom with a command line
> included to run my backups? I would prefer not to use software other
> than Terabyte (e.g. BartPE), since that would require a learning curve
> for me.
>
> On my Bootcamp laptop Phylock cannot use Disk (instead of RAM - causing
> failure to complete) when I attempt to run IFW, I was wondering if
> there is a way to semi-automate IFL Backups? David passed along some
> ideas, none of which helped, so I guess I am stuck.
>
> Note this only happens if attempt a full drive image. If I only backup
> the Bootcamp partiton, then all is well.
>
> As you know, a manual Backup with IFL is a big pain-especially if you do
> it often, so a custom IFL CD with a built-in command line would be
> desirable.
>
> Would, of course, love to cure the RAM vs Disk problem so I could use
> IFW, but any ideas appreciated.
>
> AlanD
You can use IFL itself to create the script containing the command line that you want to run by using the Show Command / Save to File option (GUI version), or the F8 Save Command option (CUI version). That will create a script file which you can execute from a command prompt to run the command line it contains. You can do this from the default IFL boot disk as is, except that once you reboot, you will lose the script.
You can create a custom boot disk containing that script a few different ways. One way is from the running boot disk itself. A procedure for doing that is outlined in this KB article: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=545
> Is there a way that I could build an IFL boot cd-rom with a command line
> included to run my backups? I would prefer not to use software other
> than Terabyte (e.g. BartPE), since that would require a learning curve
> for me.
>
> On my Bootcamp laptop Phylock cannot use Disk (instead of RAM - causing
> failure to complete) when I attempt to run IFW, I was wondering if
> there is a way to semi-automate IFL Backups? David passed along some
> ideas, none of which helped, so I guess I am stuck.
>
> Note this only happens if attempt a full drive image. If I only backup
> the Bootcamp partiton, then all is well.
>
> As you know, a manual Backup with IFL is a big pain-especially if you do
> it often, so a custom IFL CD with a built-in command line would be
> desirable.
>
> Would, of course, love to cure the RAM vs Disk problem so I could use
> IFW, but any ideas appreciated.
>
> AlanD
You can use IFL itself to create the script containing the command line that you want to run by using the Show Command / Save to File option (GUI version), or the F8 Save Command option (CUI version). That will create a script file which you can execute from a command prompt to run the command line it contains. You can do this from the default IFL boot disk as is, except that once you reboot, you will lose the script.
You can create a custom boot disk containing that script a few different ways. One way is from the running boot disk itself. A procedure for doing that is outlined in this KB article: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=545
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
Alan,
I was interested in a similar plan a few months ago and I adapted this TeraByte guide to use IFL GUI.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... estore.htm
I made these brief notes....
This adds two item to the menu. A Win7 and a WinXP restore. You can add more if you desire.
start IFL GUI
run through the restore sequence, choose your Options
click Show Command, Save to File, remember to add --uy to the command line after the --r, it should look like this --r --uy --d:
delete /tbu/imagel
save the command line as (say) win7.sh
close and open IFL
run through the restore sequence, choose your Options
click Show Command, Save to File, remember to add --uy to the command line after the --r, it should look like this --r --uy --d:
delete /tbu/imagel
save the command line as (say) winxp.sh
continue the above if you have further items
exit IFL window
right click the desktop
Configure Restore Disk
Configure Restore Commands/Menu
Edit Command Line, Edit Command 1, OK
delete the text
drag the Configure Restore Disk window to the top left
click the Terminal icon and drag the Terminal window to the bottom right so you can work on both windows
in Terminal type this
cat win7.sh
copy/paste the command line to Configure Restore Disk window (avoid the trailing ifl:~# )
click OK
in the Configure Restore Disk window click Add Command Line
in Terminal type this
cat winxp.sh
copy/paste the command line to Configure Restore Disk window (avoid the trailing ifl:~# )
continue the above for any other items
Configure Restore Disk Menu
Edit Command Names For Menu Items
Edit Menu Item 1.... I'll call it Restore Windows 7
Edit Menu Item 2.... I'll call it Restore Windows XP
continue the above for other items
Finished/Exit Menu
Enable Restore Disk Menu OK
Finished/Exit Menu
Finished/Exit Menu
Finished/Exit Menu
select the Terminal window and press Enter
type this
blkid
make a note of your IFL Label line (mine is /dev/sdd but yours will be different)
I'll type
mount /dev/sdd /mnt
df (to check if my /dev/sdd is present)
mc cdboot /mnt
copy the three files as per the tutorial
type this (at bottom of Terminal)
umount /mnt
press Enter
press any key
F10 to close MC
close Terminal
right click desktop
Reboot
Your IFL flash drive boots to a Menu
I was interested in a similar plan a few months ago and I adapted this TeraByte guide to use IFL GUI.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... estore.htm
I made these brief notes....
This adds two item to the menu. A Win7 and a WinXP restore. You can add more if you desire.
start IFL GUI
run through the restore sequence, choose your Options
click Show Command, Save to File, remember to add --uy to the command line after the --r, it should look like this --r --uy --d:
delete /tbu/imagel
save the command line as (say) win7.sh
close and open IFL
run through the restore sequence, choose your Options
click Show Command, Save to File, remember to add --uy to the command line after the --r, it should look like this --r --uy --d:
delete /tbu/imagel
save the command line as (say) winxp.sh
continue the above if you have further items
exit IFL window
right click the desktop
Configure Restore Disk
Configure Restore Commands/Menu
Edit Command Line, Edit Command 1, OK
delete the text
drag the Configure Restore Disk window to the top left
click the Terminal icon and drag the Terminal window to the bottom right so you can work on both windows
in Terminal type this
cat win7.sh
copy/paste the command line to Configure Restore Disk window (avoid the trailing ifl:~# )
click OK
in the Configure Restore Disk window click Add Command Line
in Terminal type this
cat winxp.sh
copy/paste the command line to Configure Restore Disk window (avoid the trailing ifl:~# )
continue the above for any other items
Configure Restore Disk Menu
Edit Command Names For Menu Items
Edit Menu Item 1.... I'll call it Restore Windows 7
Edit Menu Item 2.... I'll call it Restore Windows XP
continue the above for other items
Finished/Exit Menu
Enable Restore Disk Menu OK
Finished/Exit Menu
Finished/Exit Menu
Finished/Exit Menu
select the Terminal window and press Enter
type this
blkid
make a note of your IFL Label line (mine is /dev/sdd but yours will be different)
I'll type
mount /dev/sdd /mnt
df (to check if my /dev/sdd is present)
mc cdboot /mnt
copy the three files as per the tutorial
type this (at bottom of Terminal)
umount /mnt
press Enter
press any key
F10 to close MC
close Terminal
right click desktop
Reboot
Your IFL flash drive boots to a Menu
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
On 2013-04-10 11:41 AM, AlanD wrote:
> Is there a way that I could build an IFL boot cd-rom with a command line
> included to run my backups? I would prefer not to use software other
> than Terabyte (e.g. BartPE), since that would require a learning curve
> for me.
>
> On my Bootcamp laptop Phylock cannot use Disk (instead of RAM - causing
> failure to complete) when I attempt to run IFW, I was wondering if
> there is a way to semi-automate IFL Backups? David passed along some
> ideas, none of which helped, so I guess I am stuck.
>
> Note this only happens if attempt a full drive image. If I only backup
> the Bootcamp partiton, then all is well.
>
> As you know, a manual Backup with IFL is a big pain-especially if you do
> it often, so a custom IFL CD with a built-in command line would be
> desirable.
>
> Would, of course, love to cure the RAM vs Disk problem so I could use
> IFW, but any ideas appreciated.
>
> AlanD
>
>
First, the paragraph I wrote above:
"On my Bootcamp laptop Phylock cannot use Disk (instead of RAM - causing
> failure to complete) when I attempt to run IFW, I was wondering if
> there is a way to semi-automate IFL Backups? David passed along some
> ideas, none of which helped, so I guess I am stuck."
I did not mean that he had passed along some help regards automating IFL
backups. I meant to say that he had attempted to help me fix the Phylock
always using RAM issue.
Regards TP and Brian's inputs, the first thing I see is that the
procedures mentioned point to creating automated Restore, not a Backup.
I am sure the obvious is in front of me, but with my limited
knowledge-esp. things Linux, not sure where to begin.
I will, however, try some dry runs through procedures described, even
though they point to an automated Restore - just for the learning
experience.
Regards boot media, I prefer to stay with CDROM, since I know I can boot
with that.
It's too bad that when first creating the IFL boot disk that a desired
command line could not (at that time) easily be added to create the
desired custom boot disk.
> Is there a way that I could build an IFL boot cd-rom with a command line
> included to run my backups? I would prefer not to use software other
> than Terabyte (e.g. BartPE), since that would require a learning curve
> for me.
>
> On my Bootcamp laptop Phylock cannot use Disk (instead of RAM - causing
> failure to complete) when I attempt to run IFW, I was wondering if
> there is a way to semi-automate IFL Backups? David passed along some
> ideas, none of which helped, so I guess I am stuck.
>
> Note this only happens if attempt a full drive image. If I only backup
> the Bootcamp partiton, then all is well.
>
> As you know, a manual Backup with IFL is a big pain-especially if you do
> it often, so a custom IFL CD with a built-in command line would be
> desirable.
>
> Would, of course, love to cure the RAM vs Disk problem so I could use
> IFW, but any ideas appreciated.
>
> AlanD
>
>
First, the paragraph I wrote above:
"On my Bootcamp laptop Phylock cannot use Disk (instead of RAM - causing
> failure to complete) when I attempt to run IFW, I was wondering if
> there is a way to semi-automate IFL Backups? David passed along some
> ideas, none of which helped, so I guess I am stuck."
I did not mean that he had passed along some help regards automating IFL
backups. I meant to say that he had attempted to help me fix the Phylock
always using RAM issue.
Regards TP and Brian's inputs, the first thing I see is that the
procedures mentioned point to creating automated Restore, not a Backup.
I am sure the obvious is in front of me, but with my limited
knowledge-esp. things Linux, not sure where to begin.
I will, however, try some dry runs through procedures described, even
though they point to an automated Restore - just for the learning
experience.
Regards boot media, I prefer to stay with CDROM, since I know I can boot
with that.
It's too bad that when first creating the IFL boot disk that a desired
command line could not (at that time) easily be added to create the
desired custom boot disk.
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
Alan,
Just use a backup command line instead of a restore line.
Sorry, you will need to use a UFD as it has to be writable.
Just use a backup command line instead of a restore line.
Sorry, you will need to use a UFD as it has to be writable.
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
On 2013-04-10 7:14 PM, Brian K wrote:
> Alan,
>
> Just use a backup command line instead of a restore line.
>
> Sorry, you will need to use a UFD as it has to be writable.
>
>
Thank you,
I understand, so I will investigate booting from a UFD on a MAC.
> Alan,
>
> Just use a backup command line instead of a restore line.
>
> Sorry, you will need to use a UFD as it has to be writable.
>
>
Thank you,
I understand, so I will investigate booting from a UFD on a MAC.
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
On 2013-04-10 7:14 PM, Brian K wrote:
> Alan,
>
> Just use a backup command line instead of a restore line.
>
> Sorry, you will need to use a UFD as it has to be writable.
>
>
After some Googling, it appears that you can't do it (boot from UFD on a
MAC), so, here's where I am - find out why (then find a cure) a full
drive image always wants to use RAM (on my machine at any rate).
Maybe TBU will figure out a solution, or make a change to some future
version of IFW (hint, hint).
I just want to know why (at least) that my setup behaves this way.
> Alan,
>
> Just use a backup command line instead of a restore line.
>
> Sorry, you will need to use a UFD as it has to be writable.
>
>
After some Googling, it appears that you can't do it (boot from UFD on a
MAC), so, here's where I am - find out why (then find a cure) a full
drive image always wants to use RAM (on my machine at any rate).
Maybe TBU will figure out a solution, or make a change to some future
version of IFW (hint, hint).
I just want to know why (at least) that my setup behaves this way.
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
Alan,
You can make an IFW TBWinRE CD that does an auto backup.
You can make an IFW TBWinRE CD that does an auto backup.
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
On 2013-04-10 8:38 PM, Brian K wrote:
> Alan,
>
> You can make an IFW TBWinRE CD that does an auto backup.
>
>
will look into that
thank you
> Alan,
>
> You can make an IFW TBWinRE CD that does an auto backup.
>
>
will look into that
thank you
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
Alan,
Are you concerned about using IFW in Windows when it uses VSS instead of PHYLock? My wife's Asus Win8 tablet won't use PHYLock and I don't know why. VSS works fine.
Are you concerned about using IFW in Windows when it uses VSS instead of PHYLock? My wife's Asus Win8 tablet won't use PHYLock and I don't know why. VSS works fine.