IFD/IFL with Win8

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
T-Rhex
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Post by T-Rhex »

Thanks Brian. Yes, I had been following your thread.
Terabyte's awesome but I find the number of options/settings bewildering at times, as they keep adding features.
Here goes a test restore...

Trevor
T-Rhex
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Post by T-Rhex »

Oh oh. [double post]

I restored the OS partition (C:) using a TBWinRE 2.80 boot CD. The only option I clicked on for the restore was "Validate byte-for-byte"; the restore completed and when the validation started I got the following error:

"The boot sector is being cleared due to partial completion.
T-Rhex
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Post by T-Rhex »

[triple post]

I retried the restore, only C: partition, but this time using "automatic" and it completed successfully. What would be the difference?
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Post by TeraByte Support »

partial completion = it didn't fully complete (canceled or something along
those lines).

"T-Rhex" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Oh oh. [double post]

I restored the OS partition (C:) using a TBWinRE 2.80 boot CD. The only
option I clicked on for the restore was "Validate byte-for-byte"; the
restore completed and when the validation started I got the following error:

"The boot sector is being cleared due to partial completion.

T-Rhex
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Post by T-Rhex »

Thanks but as far as I could tell, it had completed. The backup had completed fully (with validate byte-for-byte successful); I had not interrupted the restore and the progress went to 100%. Then at the very start of validation, it failed with the error message. It could've been an anomaly but in all the times I've used IFD/IFL on other (non-Win8) systems I've never had an error before. I was wondering if I hadn't selected an option during manual restore that would've been selected during automatic (did I need to set the partition active? I'm not sure with Win8 because the hidden boot partition is active).
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Post by Brian K »

Did the Automatic restore run Validate?
T-Rhex
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Post by T-Rhex »

Yes, I noticed it had run a validation, presumably because I used validate byte-for-byte during the backup.
DrTeeth
Posts: 1289
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Post by DrTeeth »

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:58:11 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
T-Rhex disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Yes, I noticed it had run a validation, presumably because I used validate byte-for-byte during the backup.

Validating during the backup does not force a validate on restore. I
ALWAYS validate on backing up, but never on restoring.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Post Reply