IFL v2.80 not recognizing RAID array
IFL v2.80 not recognizing RAID array
Tried to do a restore on one of the partitions in my RAID0 array and IFL didn't recognize the RAID. Rebooted with a v2.79 recovery disk and the RAID was recognized by name and I did a successful restore. Is this a known bug? Is there a fix?
-
TeraByte Support(TP)
- Posts: 305
- Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm
Re: IFL v2.80 not recognizing RAID array
pablo wrote:
> Tried to do a restore on one of the partitions in my RAID0 array and IFL
> didn't recognize the RAID. Rebooted with a v2.79 recovery disk and the RAID
> was recognized by name and I did a successful restore. Is this a known bug?
> Is there a fix?
For version 2.80, there was a change from using dmraid by default, to using mdadm by default (for Intel and ddf formats).
With version 2.80, you can try using the following parameter at the boot prompt on the initial screen: 1 startraid=dmonly
That will override the default, and tell it to use dmraid.
> Tried to do a restore on one of the partitions in my RAID0 array and IFL
> didn't recognize the RAID. Rebooted with a v2.79 recovery disk and the RAID
> was recognized by name and I did a successful restore. Is this a known bug?
> Is there a fix?
For version 2.80, there was a change from using dmraid by default, to using mdadm by default (for Intel and ddf formats).
With version 2.80, you can try using the following parameter at the boot prompt on the initial screen: 1 startraid=dmonly
That will override the default, and tell it to use dmraid.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: IFL v2.80 not recognizing RAID array
what's your RAID controller / mobo ?
"pablo" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Tried to do a restore on one of the partitions in my RAID0 array and IFL
didn't recognize the RAID. Rebooted with a v2.79 recovery disk and the RAID
was recognized by name and I did a successful restore. Is this a known bug?
Is there a fix?
"pablo" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Tried to do a restore on one of the partitions in my RAID0 array and IFL
didn't recognize the RAID. Rebooted with a v2.79 recovery disk and the RAID
was recognized by name and I did a successful restore. Is this a known bug?
Is there a fix?
Re: IFL v2.80 not recognizing RAID array
Using the parameter works if I'm quick enough to start typing at the prompt. It's easy to miss my chance in the short time allowed.
Why the change from default dmraid to mdadm?
Can I create a custom IFL disk and add the parameter to the ifl.ini settings? Would I just type "1 startraid=dmonly"?
Intel Software RAID Controller:
Intel Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller (uses Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers)
Mobo=Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.0)
Why the change from default dmraid to mdadm?
Can I create a custom IFL disk and add the parameter to the ifl.ini settings? Would I just type "1 startraid=dmonly"?
Intel Software RAID Controller:
Intel Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller (uses Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers)
Mobo=Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.0)
-
TeraByte Support(TP)
- Posts: 305
- Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm
Re: IFL v2.80 not recognizing RAID array
pablo wrote:
> Using the parameter works if I'm quick enough to start typing at the
> prompt. It's easy to miss my chance in the short time allowed.
>
> Why the change from default dmraid to mdadm?
>
> Can I create a custom IFL disk and add the parameter to the ifl.ini
> settings? Would I just type "1 startraid=dmonly"?
>
> Intel Software RAID Controller:
> Intel Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller (uses
> Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers)
> Mobo=Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.0)
The change was made because, according to the kernel devs, the mdadm code will be better updated/supported going forward. When using mdadm (the default in 2.80) the firmware RAID drives like yours will show up in IFL as drives such as /dev/md126, rather than the /dev/mapper/* drives that you saw with dmraid. Possibly, you didn't recognize the RAID drive because it's designation was different than it was with dmraid?
It would also help if you could boot IFL 2.80 in default mode (no boot parameter), and then create a report and email it to me at [email protected]. To do that:
- run the command 'viewreport' at the command prompt to create the file report.txt in the current directory (/tbu/report.txt)
- mount a drive or partition (such as a UFD) to save the report to for emailing (run 'savereport' for basic instructions).
Boot parameters are not ifl.ini settings. But you can create a custom disk that automatically uses that parameter, either from a Linux installation using this tutorial:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... _linux.htm
Or, from the running IFL boot disk - this KB article has details:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=545
Both methods use the same menu interface with the option to specify kernel boot parameters. You would enter "startraid=dmonly" (without quotes) in the text field provided when you select the kernel boot parameter menu option.
> Using the parameter works if I'm quick enough to start typing at the
> prompt. It's easy to miss my chance in the short time allowed.
>
> Why the change from default dmraid to mdadm?
>
> Can I create a custom IFL disk and add the parameter to the ifl.ini
> settings? Would I just type "1 startraid=dmonly"?
>
> Intel Software RAID Controller:
> Intel Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller (uses
> Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers)
> Mobo=Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.0)
The change was made because, according to the kernel devs, the mdadm code will be better updated/supported going forward. When using mdadm (the default in 2.80) the firmware RAID drives like yours will show up in IFL as drives such as /dev/md126, rather than the /dev/mapper/* drives that you saw with dmraid. Possibly, you didn't recognize the RAID drive because it's designation was different than it was with dmraid?
It would also help if you could boot IFL 2.80 in default mode (no boot parameter), and then create a report and email it to me at [email protected]. To do that:
- run the command 'viewreport' at the command prompt to create the file report.txt in the current directory (/tbu/report.txt)
- mount a drive or partition (such as a UFD) to save the report to for emailing (run 'savereport' for basic instructions).
Boot parameters are not ifl.ini settings. But you can create a custom disk that automatically uses that parameter, either from a Linux installation using this tutorial:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... _linux.htm
Or, from the running IFL boot disk - this KB article has details:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=545
Both methods use the same menu interface with the option to specify kernel boot parameters. You would enter "startraid=dmonly" (without quotes) in the text field provided when you select the kernel boot parameter menu option.
Re: IFL v2.80 not recognizing RAID array
"When using mdadm (the default in 2.80) the firmware RAID drives like yours will show up in IFL as drives such as /dev/md126, rather than the /dev/mapper/* drives that you saw with dmraid. Possibly, you didn't recognize the RAID drive because it's designation was different than it was with dmraid?"
This might be the case. In the list of drives to "Restore To", I find:
'ATA WDC WD3000GLFS-0 (sde)' [My RAID array consists of 2 WD3000GLFS hard drives]
Under "Select Restore Location on HD4 (BC0E4A4C)" is:
MBR 0 Active (01)
MBR 1 Partition (02)
MBR 2 Partition (03)
[The RAID has 3 partitions---C:\, D:\, and E:\]
Finally, "Summary" shows:
Restore to: Drive 4 - ATA WDC WD3000GLFS-0 286168 MiB
So, can I safely restore a C:\ image to "MBR 0 Active (01)"? Is this how RAID shows up now in IFL with mdadm?
I have emailed the report.txt to you.
On another subject, How do I turn on BBCode in these forums? I enabled it from my user CP, but it still shows up as 'off' when posting.
This might be the case. In the list of drives to "Restore To", I find:
'ATA WDC WD3000GLFS-0 (sde)' [My RAID array consists of 2 WD3000GLFS hard drives]
Under "Select Restore Location on HD4 (BC0E4A4C)" is:
MBR 0 Active (01)
MBR 1 Partition (02)
MBR 2 Partition (03)
[The RAID has 3 partitions---C:\, D:\, and E:\]
Finally, "Summary" shows:
Restore to: Drive 4 - ATA WDC WD3000GLFS-0 286168 MiB
So, can I safely restore a C:\ image to "MBR 0 Active (01)"? Is this how RAID shows up now in IFL with mdadm?
I have emailed the report.txt to you.
On another subject, How do I turn on BBCode in these forums? I enabled it from my user CP, but it still shows up as 'off' when posting.
-
TeraByte Support(TP)
- Posts: 305
- Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm
Re: IFL v2.80 not recognizing RAID array
pablo wrote:
> "When using mdadm (the default in 2.80) the firmware RAID drives like
> yours will show up in IFL as drives such as /dev/md126, rather than the
> /dev/mapper/* drives that you saw with dmraid. Possibly, you didn't
> recognize the RAID drive because it's designation was different than it was
> with dmraid?"
>
> This might be the case. In the list of drives to "Restore To", I
> find:
> 'ATA WDC WD3000GLFS-0 (sde)' [My RAID array consists of 2 WD3000GLFS hard
> drives]
>
> Under "Select Restore Location on HD4 (BC0E4A4C)" is:
> MBR 0 Active (01)
> MBR 1 Partition (02)
> MBR 2 Partition (03)
> [The RAID has 3 partitions---C:\, D:\, and E:\]
>
> Finally, "Summary" shows:
> Restore to: Drive 4 - ATA WDC WD3000GLFS-0 286168 MiB
>
> So, can I safely restore a C:\ image to "MBR 0 Active (01)"? Is
> this how RAID shows up now in IFL with mdadm?
>
> I have emailed the report.txt to you.
>
Thanks, I got the report. The report shows that your RAID0 is not being properly detected by mdadm. It only sees 1 of the 2 drives as part of the array, and so it doesn't start the array. Until we can resolve this, don't do ANY image operations with IFL 2.80 on that system, unless you boot with the "1 startraid=dmonly" paramter, or use a previous IFL version.
> On another subject, How do I turn on BBCode in these forums? I enabled it
> from my user CP, but it still shows up as 'off' when posting.
That may have been globally disabled due to some problems...not sure.
> "When using mdadm (the default in 2.80) the firmware RAID drives like
> yours will show up in IFL as drives such as /dev/md126, rather than the
> /dev/mapper/* drives that you saw with dmraid. Possibly, you didn't
> recognize the RAID drive because it's designation was different than it was
> with dmraid?"
>
> This might be the case. In the list of drives to "Restore To", I
> find:
> 'ATA WDC WD3000GLFS-0 (sde)' [My RAID array consists of 2 WD3000GLFS hard
> drives]
>
> Under "Select Restore Location on HD4 (BC0E4A4C)" is:
> MBR 0 Active (01)
> MBR 1 Partition (02)
> MBR 2 Partition (03)
> [The RAID has 3 partitions---C:\, D:\, and E:\]
>
> Finally, "Summary" shows:
> Restore to: Drive 4 - ATA WDC WD3000GLFS-0 286168 MiB
>
> So, can I safely restore a C:\ image to "MBR 0 Active (01)"? Is
> this how RAID shows up now in IFL with mdadm?
>
> I have emailed the report.txt to you.
>
Thanks, I got the report. The report shows that your RAID0 is not being properly detected by mdadm. It only sees 1 of the 2 drives as part of the array, and so it doesn't start the array. Until we can resolve this, don't do ANY image operations with IFL 2.80 on that system, unless you boot with the "1 startraid=dmonly" paramter, or use a previous IFL version.
> On another subject, How do I turn on BBCode in these forums? I enabled it
> from my user CP, but it still shows up as 'off' when posting.
That may have been globally disabled due to some problems...not sure.