IFL - Image running system

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
GreggB
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:01 pm

IFL - Image running system

Post by GreggB »

If I install IFL on my Linux system and take an image of the running system partition, will that image be viable?

Just wondering if it is advisable to do this, and if I do, are there are any precautions I should take. Is there is a risk of data loss or of making a none-usable copy of the partition?

Thanks, Gregg.
TeraByte Support(TP)
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: IFL - Image running system

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

It would be OK for unmounted partitions, but not for partition(s) that Linux is running from. Primarily because files will be changing while the backup is in progress, causing an invalid image as a result. To ensure that you have a valid image, you need to create it from IFL boot media.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: IFL - Image running system

Post by TeraByte Support »

....Okay for unmounted (or read-only mounted) partitions.

The linux environment doesn't have a driver stack for a filter, instead
something like phylock has to be implemented differently by setting up a
device in /dev/ which should be the device used for mounting
partitions/etc.. I'm surprised Linux hasn't provided something like that
already and could just be used via some ioctl calls. We may offer something
for linux in the future.



GreggB
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Re: IFL - Image running system

Post by GreggB »

Thanks for the clarification. For now I'll continue to use BootIt BM to take image backups of my system partition.

I'm hoping that you will develop "Phylock for Linux".

Thanks, Gregg.
Post Reply