Performance issue on WinXP after restore to new drive
Performance issue on WinXP after restore to new drive
Hello. I've helped a client use IFD to move a WinXP system through several permutations from its original drive to the current one. It started as a 20GB IDE drive from years ago, moved to a 500GB SATA drive, then to a 320GB SATA, and lastly to one of the newest Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA III drives. After the last round of image/restore, the user is reporting that one application is now showing performance problems while accessing a large-ish (3.5MB) file. I've run ram tests, restored the file in question from backups, and have run disk diagnostics to rule out failing sectors and drives.
Could I have introduced some kind of misalignment issue in using IFD to image/restore the drive? I know SSDs have particular alignment criteria, but what about HDDs? I've seen some 'net references to 512B drives versus 4k drives and wonder if I had to do anything in particular, rather than using IFD's default settings. The newest drive is a Seagate 7200.14 500GB Barracuda, but it looks like the drive supports both 512B and 4k sectors automatically (though my understanding of the whole thing is a bit fuzzy, no pun intended).
Thanks in advance,
tr
Could I have introduced some kind of misalignment issue in using IFD to image/restore the drive? I know SSDs have particular alignment criteria, but what about HDDs? I've seen some 'net references to 512B drives versus 4k drives and wonder if I had to do anything in particular, rather than using IFD's default settings. The newest drive is a Seagate 7200.14 500GB Barracuda, but it looks like the drive supports both 512B and 4k sectors automatically (though my understanding of the whole thing is a bit fuzzy, no pun intended).
Thanks in advance,
tr
Re: Performance issue on WinXP after restore to new drive
I had a similar issue recently. It was defeintely caused by an alignment issue... on some of the newer drives, mis-aignment can make a huge difference in performance. This was certainly true with mine, a Seagate 2TB drive. It was performing much worse than the old drive, from which I had copied the partitions using IFL.
In my case, I solved the issue with a program called Partition Alignment Tool. I'm sure it could have been fixed with IFD or IFL, but frankly, I read the manuals several times, and couldn't figure out what I should have done. I hope someone can post the answer here.
Also, it would be awfully nice if the TeraByte products offered automatic alignment as some other programs now do.
In my case, I solved the issue with a program called Partition Alignment Tool. I'm sure it could have been fixed with IFD or IFL, but frankly, I read the manuals several times, and couldn't figure out what I should have done. I hope someone can post the answer here.
Also, it would be awfully nice if the TeraByte products offered automatic alignment as some other programs now do.
Re: Performance issue on WinXP after restore to new drive
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 12:13:26 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
EdBrady disturbed my reverie and wrote:
> I hope someone can post the answer here.
When making the ISOs for IfD/IfL, there is an option to set, 'align to
2048' or similar.
--
Cheers
DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
EdBrady disturbed my reverie and wrote:
> I hope someone can post the answer here.
When making the ISOs for IfD/IfL, there is an option to set, 'align to
2048' or similar.
--
Cheers
DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Re: Performance issue on WinXP after restore to new drive
Thanks, all. (Apologies for the delay due to unavoidable events.)
So it is possible (that I messed up the alignment)? Of course, I don't have the computer/drive in question at hand, so I will have to check it out when I can. If my understanding is correct, I want the start offset of the partition to be divisible by 2048? Recall, this is a HDD not an SSD.
Is it possible to correct this using IFD? If I create another image and then restore it with "align to 2048" set, would that do it? I seem to recall I've been using "align to target". I'm thinking I didn't quite understand the implications.
Another question: If it's common to align to 2048, why is it not turned on by default? (I'm not questioning the design, just my understanding of it)
Thanks again.
tr
So it is possible (that I messed up the alignment)? Of course, I don't have the computer/drive in question at hand, so I will have to check it out when I can. If my understanding is correct, I want the start offset of the partition to be divisible by 2048? Recall, this is a HDD not an SSD.
Is it possible to correct this using IFD? If I create another image and then restore it with "align to 2048" set, would that do it? I seem to recall I've been using "align to target". I'm thinking I didn't quite understand the implications.
Another question: If it's common to align to 2048, why is it not turned on by default? (I'm not questioning the design, just my understanding of it)
Thanks again.
tr
Re: Performance issue on WinXP after restore to new drive
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 09:54:46 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
T-Rhex disturbed my reverie and wrote:
> I've seen some 'net references to 512B drives versus 4k drives and wonder if I had to do anything in particular, rather than using IFD's default settings.
What you have read sounds like it refers to what can happen if you
convert a FAT32 system to an NTFS on. 512B clusters have a
performance penalty over a default 4KB cluster size. If formatting an
NTFS system from scratch, would have to specify the smaller size to
avoid the default.
--
Cheers
DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
T-Rhex disturbed my reverie and wrote:
> I've seen some 'net references to 512B drives versus 4k drives and wonder if I had to do anything in particular, rather than using IFD's default settings.
What you have read sounds like it refers to what can happen if you
convert a FAT32 system to an NTFS on. 512B clusters have a
performance penalty over a default 4KB cluster size. If formatting an
NTFS system from scratch, would have to specify the smaller size to
avoid the default.
--
Cheers
DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: Performance issue on WinXP after restore to new drive
For the partition alignment, you should just need to do the restore using the following settings: Global option "Align Partitions on 2048 Sectors" enabled, Restore option "Align to Target" enabled.
Re: Performance issue on WinXP after restore to new drive
Thanks very much for the reply and info. I'll give it a try (won't be soon, though, the computer isn't readily accessible).
Re: Performance issue on WinXP after restore to new drive
On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 15:09:47 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
TeraByte Support(PP) disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>For the partition alignment, you should just need to do the restore using the following settings: Global option "Align Partitions on 2048 Sectors" enabled, Restore option "Align to Target" enabled.
>
Why the 'align to target' as well?
--
Cheers
DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
TeraByte Support(PP) disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>For the partition alignment, you should just need to do the restore using the following settings: Global option "Align Partitions on 2048 Sectors" enabled, Restore option "Align to Target" enabled.
>
Why the 'align to target' as well?
--
Cheers
DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: Performance issue on WinXP after restore to new drive
So it forces the alignment regardless of the alignment used on the source drive.