TBWinRE difficulties

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: TBWinRE difficulties

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Did you get a chance to try the #2 build option with the winre.wim file in the correct backup folder? Since you have a custom BCD and configuration I'm thinking that should be the easiest -- you can just copy the built WIM to your custom location and boot it using your custom entry (as previously posted).
bbearren
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Re: TBWinRE difficulties

Post by bbearren »

Yes, I did that today, and it found the winre.wim and mounted, altered and unmounted it. I booted into Windows RE and tried it out, and IFW works just fine. I'm backing up to a NAS, and I have to put in the network address manually, but that's not a problem. I also burned the TBWinRE boot disk, but I haven't booted it yet. I feel comfortable that it will work, and I'll give it a test boot soon.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Does my BCD Store look like it might have some extra junk in the trunk to you?

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> Did you get a chance to try the #2 build option with the winre.wim file in
> the correct backup folder? Since you have a custom BCD and configuration
> I'm thinking that should be the easiest -- you can just copy the built WIM
> to your custom location and boot it using your custom entry (as previously
> posted).
bbearren
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Re: TBWinRE difficulties

Post by bbearren »

I finally got around to booting my TBWinRE CD to test its functioality, and it does everything except connect to the network. Everything looks exactly like it does when I boot to WindowsRE from the hard drive, and in IFW I can connect to the network and my NAS booting to Windows RE, but the same procedure gets me an error message booting from the CD - in IFW it can't connect, asks me to check the spelling in the UNC.

Booting into Windows RE on the hdd I can connect with my NAS in IFW using \\goflex_home\goflex home backup. Booting into TBWinRE, I get the error.

I tried to rebuild the TBWinRE boot disk, but I'm now getting all sorts of errors - "dism is not a recognized command or batch file" (or words to that effect). Logged in using an administrator account and choosing "Run as administrator" to launch TBWinRE.cmd, I still get the errors, and eventually an error stating that the image file could not be mounted. I've checked all the parameters mentioned in the error messages, but no luck.

What do I need to do in order to get my TBWinRE boot disk to work as well as my WinRE booted from the hdd?
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: TBWinRE difficulties

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Which system are you using for the TBWinRE build? Have you tried creating the TBWinRE boot media on the Windows 8 system?

Have you tried starting over clean? Downloading the current version (1.3), unzipping to a new folder (e.g. C:\TBWinRE), etc. I assume the problem system before was Windows 7. Is that correct? On that system, you'd need to copy the winre.wim file into the "\TBWinRE\WinRE_Backup" folder as before.

Have you made any changes to the system since previously running TBWinRE when it worked?

Does the environment PATH variable contain "C:\Windows\System32" (you can run "set path" from a Command Prompt to check)? Otherwise, if the system (for whatever reason) didn't have WinRE on it to start with and possibly didn't have the DISM related tools, maybe it was getting them from the Windows AIK install and now can't find them. If that's the case, you'd need to add them back to the PATH variable. For example, add "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools" and "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%".
bbearren
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Re: TBWinRE difficulties

Post by bbearren »

I've tried a fresh download, unzipped to C:\TBWinre, editted for correct path statements, checked my path with does indeed contain "C:\Windows\System32", running logged on as an administrator and right-clicking TBWinRE.cmd and selecting "Run as administrator" and I still get this:
[attachment=0]TBWinREcmd.PNG[/attachment]
I'm dual booting Windows 7/8, and I get the same basic errors in either OS. Dism is present in Windows\System32 and when I type dism /? in a command prompt I get a screen with all the dism paramaters, switches and uses.

Also, the Product Key in imagew.ini is valid. It's the key I used when I registered Image for Windows. I get more of the same when I try option 2 with WinRE.wim in the backup folder, only I get the "dism" error about 4 times.
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: TBWinRE difficulties

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It would appear that none of the called programs are being run (dism, findstr, bcdedit, etc.). Basically, nothing can be found. The script can't function in that state.

Exactly what changes did you make to the TBWinRE.cmd file?

If you create a Test.cmd file that includes the following commands and run it as an administrator do you see the dism help screen?

@echo off
setlocal enableextensions enabledelayedexpansion
cls
dism /?
endlocal
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: TBWinRE difficulties

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Are you possibly setting the system PATH variable in the script changes you made? That shouldn't be necessary (and is not recommended), but could explain the problem since it can't find anything.
bbearren
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Re: TBWinRE difficulties

Post by bbearren »

The only changes I made to the TBWinRE.cmd file were the path variables for IFW, TBIView, and TBOSD Tool Suite Pro.

TBTest.cmd yields this:

[attachment=0]TBTest.cmd.PNG[/attachment]
bbearren
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Re: TBWinRE difficulties

Post by bbearren »

Here are the edits to the TBWinRE.cmd file:

@echo off
setlocal enableextensions enabledelayedexpansion
cls


echo.
echo ==============================================================================
echo TeraByte WinRE Builder ver. 1.3
echo ==============================================================================
echo.


:: ===============================================================
:: ====================== Set Custom Paths =======================

:: Note: Set these paths only if not using the default installation paths.
:: Do not include a trailing backslash. Do not include any spaces before or after the equals sign.
:: Example: set ifwpath=D:\TeraByte\Image for Windows

set ifwpath=U:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2

set tbiviewpath=U:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\TBIView

set tbosdtpath=U:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Unlimited\TeraByte OSD Tool Suite Pro

:: ===============================================================
:: ====================== Set Build Options ======================

:: Use this option to set the build mode used by the script:
:: 0 = Ask user for mode when run. This is the default setting
:: 1 = Modify the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) accessed via F8
:: when booting (Windows 7) or the Boot/Restart menu (Windows 8)
:: 2 = Create a TBWinRE CD, USB Flash Drive (UFD), or ISO file
:: 3 = Restore the original WinRE.WIM file (use this mode to return the
:: Recovery Environment to its original state)
set buildmode=0

:: Use this option to change the screen resolution used by WinRE. The default
:: resolution is 1024x768 (-m3). For resolution options, run chgres.
set screenresolution=-m3

:: If pausebuild=1 the build will pause before unmounting the WIM file. This allows
:: advanced users to verify content or add content before build completes.
:: Set to 0 (zero) to cancel pausing.
set pausebuild=0

:: If usestartnetcmd=1 the build will use the startnet.cmd file to control program startup
:: instead of the default (winpeshl.ini).
:: Set to 0 (zero) to use the default.
set usestartnetcmd=0

:: Use this option to set the input locale to an alternate value. The locale
:: selected must be supported by the current language being used.
:: Example: set inputlocale=fr-CH
set inputlocale=

:: ===============================================================
:: ===============================================================
:: ============ Don't Change Anything Below This Line ============

And that is all.
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: TBWinRE difficulties

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Does it make any difference if you run TBWinRE.cmd directly from an Administrator Command Prompt (like you did with Test.cmd) instead of starting it from Explorer?

Otherwise, at line 134 in the TBWinRE script insert a line so it outputs the path as seen when the script is running. Then post what that shows. The inserted line is "echo Current path: %PATH%".

:: --------------------
:: Check if script has administrator privileges
echo Current path: %PATH%
dism.exe > nul
if %errorlevel% EQU 740 goto :NonAdmin
Post Reply