Why upgrade to 2.77?
Why upgrade to 2.77?
I have a single copy backing up an XP system to hard disk. Might upgrade to WIN7 soon.
Is there something -wrong- with the version I'm running now (2.69)? Is support going away? Will the new version run 10x faster?
Not trying to be difficult, just curious -why- it's so strongly "recommended".
Thanks!
/j
Is there something -wrong- with the version I'm running now (2.69)? Is support going away? Will the new version run 10x faster?
Not trying to be difficult, just curious -why- it's so strongly "recommended".
Thanks!
/j
Re: Why upgrade to 2.77?
I'll add my agreement to the jeffw_00's question. I've been running Image since 2007, and this is the first time I've seen such a 'recommendation' when a new version came out (with the possible exception of the upgrade from v1.70 to v2.00, a big upgrade).
Add to that the fact the files created with v2.77 can't be read with previous versions. Unless you can be more specific with the reasons this upgrade is recommended (and I find them compelling), I'm hestitant to upgrade in case this version has as of yet undiscovered problems - it's possible that I could be creating backup files that only a flawed version can restore - not something I'm really comfortable with. Normally when such a version incompatibility is introduced, I wait for an upgrade or two to make sure the new bugs are worked out.
So because of the above concerns, could you be more specific as to specifically why this upgrade is recommended?
BTW, I'm currently running IFW 2.74 on a Windows XP system - I may just upgrade to v2.76 and then wait a while.
Add to that the fact the files created with v2.77 can't be read with previous versions. Unless you can be more specific with the reasons this upgrade is recommended (and I find them compelling), I'm hestitant to upgrade in case this version has as of yet undiscovered problems - it's possible that I could be creating backup files that only a flawed version can restore - not something I'm really comfortable with. Normally when such a version incompatibility is introduced, I wait for an upgrade or two to make sure the new bugs are worked out.
So because of the above concerns, could you be more specific as to specifically why this upgrade is recommended?
BTW, I'm currently running IFW 2.74 on a Windows XP system - I may just upgrade to v2.76 and then wait a while.
Re: Why upgrade to 2.77?
I tend to be computer conservative but I update my TeraByte apps the day a new version is released.
-
mjnelson99
- Posts: 785
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:24 am
Re: Why upgrade to 2.77?
I usually upgrade and I DO keep a copy of the previous
version on my computer.
Belt & suspenders???
Mary
On 11/17/2012 1:56 PM, Brian K wrote:
> I tend to be computer conservative but I update my TeraByte apps the day a new version is released.
>
>
version on my computer.
Belt & suspenders???
Mary
On 11/17/2012 1:56 PM, Brian K wrote:
> I tend to be computer conservative but I update my TeraByte apps the day a new version is released.
>
>
Re: Why upgrade to 2.77?
Umm guys - can we not make this thread a long referendum on whether people "like" upgrading or not? I think that's a valid topic for a thread, but wasn't the intent of this one.
I think my original question is valid, and perhaps we can limit replies to those who have the information to constructively answer it (so that the answer, when it comes from the awesome folk at TB Support, isn't buried on page 11).
If you want to discuss whether this post is a valid request, again, I'd be happy to - but can we please do it in a different thread? 8-}
Thanks!
/j
I think my original question is valid, and perhaps we can limit replies to those who have the information to constructively answer it (so that the answer, when it comes from the awesome folk at TB Support, isn't buried on page 11).
If you want to discuss whether this post is a valid request, again, I'd be happy to - but can we please do it in a different thread? 8-}
Thanks!
/j
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Why upgrade to 2.77?
It's always been that only the latest version is supported - if you have a
problem upgrade and try again.
When there are core changes or corrections (typically in the supporting
library), changes to defaults, etc.. then it is always recommend to upgrade.
Occasionally, based on the scope of what has changed, we will state that it
is recommended to upgrade. Typically those notices have been in
newsletters, however they will now be in the upgrade history to ensures
everyone sees it.
The file version change has to do with the availability of the /exlist
option. Old versions should not restore the new image files which may have
used that option. There is nothing wrong with your existing backups.
"jeffw_00" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I have a single copy backing up an XP system to hard disk. Might upgrade to
WIN7 soon.
Is there something -wrong- with the version I'm running now (2.69)? Is
support going away? Will the new version run 10x faster?
Not trying to be difficult, just curious -why- it's so strongly
"recommended".
Thanks!
/j
problem upgrade and try again.
When there are core changes or corrections (typically in the supporting
library), changes to defaults, etc.. then it is always recommend to upgrade.
Occasionally, based on the scope of what has changed, we will state that it
is recommended to upgrade. Typically those notices have been in
newsletters, however they will now be in the upgrade history to ensures
everyone sees it.
The file version change has to do with the availability of the /exlist
option. Old versions should not restore the new image files which may have
used that option. There is nothing wrong with your existing backups.
"jeffw_00" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I have a single copy backing up an XP system to hard disk. Might upgrade to
WIN7 soon.
Is there something -wrong- with the version I'm running now (2.69)? Is
support going away? Will the new version run 10x faster?
Not trying to be difficult, just curious -why- it's so strongly
"recommended".
Thanks!
/j
Re: Why upgrade to 2.77?
Hi TB Support - Thanks for the thoughtful response.
1) Yes, right, I totally agree that only the latest revision is supported.
2) I think the answer I was looking for is "there is nothing wrong with your existing backups". There are (I believe) a lot of us small customers who are far from power-users. We use the default options, and don't really even understand half the features 8-}. For us, we might upgrade only when the major revision (1.x -> 2.x) changes, UNLESS Terabyte Unlimited says "Oops, there's really something wrong with the release you're using - upgrade!". [I think that's actually happened once or twice in the past, where a 'bad" interim release got out there for a day or two before its flaw was discovered].
Anyway, I'm not hearing that's the case this time, so I'm not hearing there's a pressing need for people like me to upgrade, I think?
If I'm misunderstanding please correct me! Thanks!
best!
/j
1) Yes, right, I totally agree that only the latest revision is supported.
2) I think the answer I was looking for is "there is nothing wrong with your existing backups". There are (I believe) a lot of us small customers who are far from power-users. We use the default options, and don't really even understand half the features 8-}. For us, we might upgrade only when the major revision (1.x -> 2.x) changes, UNLESS Terabyte Unlimited says "Oops, there's really something wrong with the release you're using - upgrade!". [I think that's actually happened once or twice in the past, where a 'bad" interim release got out there for a day or two before its flaw was discovered].
Anyway, I'm not hearing that's the case this time, so I'm not hearing there's a pressing need for people like me to upgrade, I think?
If I'm misunderstanding please correct me! Thanks!
best!
/j
Re: Why upgrade to 2.77?
TeraByte Support wrote: "The file version change has to do with the availability of the /exlist option. Old versions should not restore the new image files which may have used that option."
So if I don't use the /exlist option, Image versions earlier than 2.77 will still be able to restore backup files created with v2.77 without problems?
If so, then maybe the upgrade history section that reads: "The image file created by this version requires an Image version 2.77 or later to restore." should be changed to something like: "Image files created with the /exlist option (new to this version) require an Image version 2.77 or later to restore." ?
So if I don't use the /exlist option, Image versions earlier than 2.77 will still be able to restore backup files created with v2.77 without problems?
If so, then maybe the upgrade history section that reads: "The image file created by this version requires an Image version 2.77 or later to restore." should be changed to something like: "Image files created with the /exlist option (new to this version) require an Image version 2.77 or later to restore." ?
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Why upgrade to 2.77?
no, you'll need the latest version.
"Muad'Dib" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
TeraByte Support wrote: "The file version change has to do with the
availability of the /exlist option. Old versions should not restore the new
image files which may have used that option."
So if I don't use the /exlist option, Image versions earlier than 2.77 will
still be able to restore backup files created with v2.77 without problems?
If so, then maybe the upgrade history section that reads: "The image file
created by this version requires an Image version 2.77 or later to restore."
should be changed to something like: "Image files created with the /exlist
option (new to this version) require an Image version 2.77 or later to
restore." ?
"Muad'Dib" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
TeraByte Support wrote: "The file version change has to do with the
availability of the /exlist option. Old versions should not restore the new
image files which may have used that option."
So if I don't use the /exlist option, Image versions earlier than 2.77 will
still be able to restore backup files created with v2.77 without problems?
If so, then maybe the upgrade history section that reads: "The image file
created by this version requires an Image version 2.77 or later to restore."
should be changed to something like: "Image files created with the /exlist
option (new to this version) require an Image version 2.77 or later to
restore." ?
Re: Why upgrade to 2.77?
On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 09:10:50 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
jeffw_00 disturbed my reverie and wrote:
> There are (I believe) a lot of us small customers who are far from power-users. We use the default options, and don't really even understand half the features 8-}.
"Me too"!
--
Cheers
DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
jeffw_00 disturbed my reverie and wrote:
> There are (I believe) a lot of us small customers who are far from power-users. We use the default options, and don't really even understand half the features 8-}.
"Me too"!
--
Cheers
DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).