IFD: Issues restoring from external USB DVD drive

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Synitare
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:29 pm

IFD: Issues restoring from external USB DVD drive

Post by Synitare »

Greetings,

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out, with no luck. I'm trying to create an image that will restore from an external USB DVD Drive. However, every time I try to restore, it produces the critical error as follows:

__________________________________________________________________________________

DOS Extender v CW3.60_B Copyright (c) Terabyte, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Exception: 0D, Error code: 0000

EAX=00000F00 EBX=0000001B ECX=00000000 EDX=00000000 ESI=005516F8
EDI=00000000 EBP=0054EB44 ESP=0054EB44 EIP=00514A34 EFL=00213244

CS=01A7-FFBCB000 DS=01AF-FFBCB000 ES=0000-xxxxxxxx
FS=0000-xxxxxxxx GS=01B7-xxxxxxxx SS=01AF-FFBCB000

CR0=00000000 CR2=00000000 CR3=00000000 TR=0000

Info flags=00008040

Writing CW.ERR file....

CauseWay error 09 : Unrecoverable exception. Program terminated.

Press <ENTER> to reboot...
_____________________________________________________________________________________


This occurs with IFD v2.72. The restore command I'm attempting to use is here: tbirest.exe /r /d:0 /uy /f:"uo0:\Backup.tbi" /cds

I've tried using both the standard CDBOOT.F35 image (with a modified TBOS.STR file to use the above restore command) as well as a custom FreeDOS image. Each time, it errors out after it accesses the disc. Further, this only seems to happen when using the USB restore command. When trying to restore from a SATA drive, it works correctly. Any insight on what might be causing this would be much appreciated.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: IFD: Issues restoring from external USB DVD drive

Post by Brian K »

GUI or CUI version?
Synitare
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: IFD: Issues restoring from external USB DVD drive

Post by Synitare »

GUI version.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: IFD: Issues restoring from external USB DVD drive

Post by TeraByte Support »

I'll test this week sometime ... in the mean time, see if /cds is causing
anything. I presume drive 0 is an internal drive and not a USB type drive?

"Synitare" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Greetings,

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out, with
no luck. I'm trying to create an image that will restore from an external
USB DVD Drive. However, every time I try to restore, it produces the
critical error as follows:

__________________________________________________________________________________

DOS Extender v CW3.60_B Copyright (c) Terabyte, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Exception: 0D, Error code: 0000

EAX=00000F00 EBX=0000001B ECX=00000000 EDX=00000000 ESI=005516F8
EDI=00000000 EBP=0054EB44 ESP=0054EB44 EIP=00514A34 EFL=00213244

CS=01A7-FFBCB000 DS=01AF-FFBCB000 ES=0000-xxxxxxxx
FS=0000-xxxxxxxx GS=01B7-xxxxxxxx SS=01AF-FFBCB000

CR0=00000000 CR2=00000000 CR3=00000000 TR=0000

Info flags=00008040

Writing CW.ERR file....

CauseWay error 09 : Unrecoverable exception. Program terminated.

Press to reboot...
_____________________________________________________________________________________


This occurs with IFD v2.72. The restore command I'm attempting to use is
here: tbirest.exe /r /d:0 /uy /f:"uo0:\Backup.tbi" /cds

I've tried using both the standard CDBOOT.F35 image (with a modified
TBOS.STR file to use the above restore command) as well as a custom FreeDOS
image. Each time, it errors out after it accesses the disc. Further, this
only seems to happen when using the USB restore command. When trying to
restore from a SATA drive, it works correctly. Any insight on what might be
causing this would be much appreciated.

Synitare
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: IFD: Issues restoring from external USB DVD drive

Post by Synitare »

Correct. I'll try removing the /cds and see if that changes anything. Also as a note, I've just recently tried this with v2.73 and the issue persists.

TeraByte Support wrote:
> I'll test this week sometime ... in the mean time, see if /cds is causing
> anything. I presume drive 0 is an internal drive and not a USB type
> drive?
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: IFD: Issues restoring from external USB DVD drive

Post by Brian K »

Synitare,

I've noticed the CauseWay error occasionally with the GUI version but not the CUI version. I was using image.exe.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Issues restoring from external USB DVD drive

Post by TeraByte Support »

also, are you booting from that same usb drive (or a USB drive in general,
or did you boot a floppy or internal CD or HD)?

"Synitare" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Correct. I'll try removing the /cds and see if that changes anything. Also
as a note, I've just recently tried this with v2.73 and the issue persists.

TeraByte Support wrote:
> I'll test this week sometime ... in the mean time, see if /cds is causing
> anything. I presume drive 0 is an internal drive and not a USB type
> drive?

Synitare
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Issues restoring from external USB DVD drive

Post by Synitare »

The setup is as follows:

Booting FROM external USB DVD drive, USB device 0 using a restore disk created with BINGBURN, using a modified CDBOOT.F35 (only the STR file was modified) as the boot image.
Restoring TO internal SATA HDD, HDD 0

Curiously, using the TBIREST.EXE from the CUI version appears to work without issue. Seems only the GUI version is giving me problems.

TeraByte Support wrote:
> also, are you booting from that same usb drive (or a USB drive in general,
>
> or did you boot a floppy or internal CD or HD)?
>
> "Synitare" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Correct. I'll try removing the /cds and see if that changes anything. Also
>
> as a note, I've just recently tried this with v2.73 and the issue
> persists.
>
> TeraByte Support wrote:
> > I'll test this week sometime ... in the mean time, see if /cds is
> causing
> > anything. I presume drive 0 is an internal drive and not a USB type
> > drive?
Synitare
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: IFD: Issues restoring from external USB DVD drive

Post by Synitare »

Any updates on this issue?
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Issues restoring from external USB DVD drive

Post by TeraByte Support »

you can try the latest 2.74 version...

"Synitare" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Any updates on this issue?

Post Reply