"Unable to obtain a lock on C:"

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
Scott
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 am

"Unable to obtain a lock on C:"

Post by Scott »

Was running IFW v4.05 (IIRC), started seeing the "Unable to obtain a lock on C:" error. I had backed up Windows 11 many times with this exact config, so I'm guessing Windows changed/broke something, since I did update from 24H2 to 25H2 a while back.

Updated to IFW v4.12. Same error.

I don't have PHYLock installed and have always used VSS without issue, until very recently. In ifw.ini, I'm using:

Code: Select all

[PHYLock_Options]
PHYLockDisable=1
UseFilesToNotBackup=0
UseFilesToNotSnapshot=0
UseVSS=1
VSSComponentMode=0
Scott
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 am

Re: "Unable to obtain a lock on C:"

Post by Scott »

Love it when I rapidly solve my own problem. I think my IQ shoots up after asking quetsions.

I had disabled the wonderful Workstation service. Windows didn't like that. Enabled and ran it, problem solved.

Sorry.
OldNavyGuy
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:08 am

Re: "Unable to obtain a lock on C:"

Post by OldNavyGuy »

The Workstation service runs automatically (default) on our systems.

It's needed if you connect to shared resources on other computers, or network drives.

We use PHYLock, and have never had a problem with that service.
Scott
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 am

Re: "Unable to obtain a lock on C:"

Post by Scott »

Yeah, I had recently disabled it, having had no idea that it was required for VSS. Pretty annoying.
Post Reply