Point-in-time restore

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
Fracso
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:37 am

Point-in-time restore

Post by Fracso »

Do IFW or IFL include PITR points in a backup image?

Or it is necessary to delete them before creating he image, to reduce its size?
OldNavyGuy
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:08 am

Re: Point-in-time restore

Post by OldNavyGuy »

Restore points are saved in the System Volume Information folder, which is backed up.

You would only need to delete restore points if you were cramped for space on the backup medium.

Otherwise, you can set the allocated space for restore points in System settings, and once that allocated space is full, Windows will delete the oldest restore point to make room.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Point-in-time restore

Post by TeraByte Support »

it depends if you use vss and if they are in the files to not backup or file to not snapshot.
Fracso
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:37 am

Re: Point-in-time restore

Post by Fracso »

Short answer: PITR points are not included in the image.

According to a test I did. I created an image with PITR points (3.7 GB), deleted the points, created another image, compared the sizes.They were practically the same (40 KB difference).

In both cases, I imaged online with VSS.

I deleted the points with the command (PS as Administrator):

vssadmin delete shadows /all
Bob Coleman
Posts: 876
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Point-in-time restore

Post by Bob Coleman »

Close to veering off the subject here, but since I backup my Windows partition with IFL daily I don't create restore points.
OldNavyGuy
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:08 am

Re: Point-in-time restore

Post by OldNavyGuy »

Fracso wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2026 2:05 pm Short answer: PITR points are not included in the image.

In both cases, I imaged online with VSS.
They are included if PHYLock is used.
Post Reply