Remotely accessing IFL environment with SSH or VNC?

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
timg11
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Remotely accessing IFL environment with SSH or VNC?

Post by timg11 »

I'd like to be able to remotely access a system that has booted from IFL on USB.
I tried to SSH in, but the connection is refused.
I saw the 2014 reference to https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... boot-disk/. I ran through Makedisk for IFL 4.09, and did not see any options for SSH. The article was for IFL V2, so I'm not sure what if any parts of it are still relevant in V4.

I'd also like to be able to have a VNC server in the IFL environment to be able to use the GUI from a more convenient workstation.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Remotely accessing IFL environment with SSH or VNC?

Post by TeraByte Support »

You need to start the ssh server, see the .txt files in the help folder when unzipping.
timg11
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Remotely accessing IFL environment with SSH or VNC?

Post by timg11 »

Thanks for the response. I am assuming the procedure in the kb article for V2.81 is still valid for V4.10

Extracting the ifl_en_gui_x64.zip distribution, I found help/network.txt, which contains this:
4. Logging into the IFL disk from another computer (sshd):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The IFL Disk has an sshd server that, by default, is not started on boot. To
manually start or stop sshd, use the commands 'start-sshd' and 'stop-sshd'
respectively. Once sshd is running, remote users can log into the IFL disk
as root with one of the following commands:
The kb is about creating custom boot media from a zip file. So my first question is if I have IFL booted from the standard Makedisk USB, could I just run 'start-sshd' and have SSH?

If not, I'd use the KB custom process. If I understand, it has to be done from IFL. (I.E. I couldn't do it from a Windows or Debian desktop).
From the 'iflbuild' script, I need to "Select and extract IFL zip file" and point it to the actual ifl_en_gui_x64.zip that I have added to the IFL boot. Then I "Install IFL to removable drive", and toggle menu item to Custom. Then I customize options such as enabling SSHD.
Then I "Create the boot media" . It says " If installing to an entire drive, it must be a removable drive," So before reaching this point, I need to insert a different USB drive to be the target for the custom version (different than the USB drive I'm running IFL off of).

Or I could Run makeISO to create custom ISO file, but not sure what I can do with the ISO these days.

What I really want to do is once I create my custom config, be able to use MakeDisk to make media with my custom image.

When updates to IFL are released, I assume the entire process must be repeated?

And w.r.t my other question, while I'm building a custom IFL, could I include a VNC server to remote the GUI?
Post Reply