Basic TBIView info

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Jeff H
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2026 2:48 am

Basic TBIView info

Post by Jeff H »

I've been trying to understand TBIView but I'd like to know if someone can point me to clear instructions. Written or videos. I haven't been able to find much in the way of IFW tutorial videos.

I'm just starting with IFW, still evaluating the 30-day free trial of v.4.12.
I'm a low-end user. I want to back my system up, but my main interest is being able to retrieve files or folders that may have somehow gotten lost or messed up. For that purpose, I think TBIView and TBIMount are the tools I need.

I have the full (276-page) manual but I don't see a specific TBIView section in there. That manual seems mostly to address full image restores.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
- Jeff
OldNavyGuy
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:08 am

Re: Basic TBIView info

Post by OldNavyGuy »

From the downloads page...

"TBIView allows you to open, browse, and extract files or folders from TeraByte Unlimited image files that are based on a EXT2/3/4, FAT, FAT32 or NTFS partition."

You can't add, update, or delete any files or folders using TBIView.

That's basically it.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Basic TBIView info

Post by Brian K »

The easy way to retrieve data is to double click your backup .TBI. Browse through the folders and copy out your desired file(s) or folders.
Jeff H
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2026 2:48 am

Re: Basic TBIView info

Post by Jeff H »

Ok thanks gents. I've been playing around with it today, and that's pretty much what I found. It helps to know "that's basically it". I think I've got enough to start with. Now I'll just look through the manual and see whatever else I can find.

I appreciate the replies.

- Jeff
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Basic TBIView info

Post by TeraByte Support »

fwiw, the most efficient method is right click, extract vs drag/drop or copy/paste.
Jeff H
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2026 2:48 am

Re: Basic TBIView info

Post by Jeff H »

Thanks TBS. What is the difference between Copy and Extract in the TBIView context menu?

Also, as Terabyte Support, can you tell me why I'm not getting email notifications when someone replies? In Board Preferences I have Email selected in both Posting Defaults and Notification Options.

- Jeff
OldNavyGuy
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:08 am

Re: Basic TBIView info

Post by OldNavyGuy »

"Copy" works like a standard copy and paste.

"Extract" prompts for a folder location.

Try it.
Jeff H
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2026 2:48 am

Re: Basic TBIView info

Post by Jeff H »

Thanks for the info ... and apologies for not looking more closely to notice the difference when I tried them! I'll save my posting for things I've looked into more thoroughly in the future.
FWIW, I did get an email notification about this post from you.

- Jeff
Mrx
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Basic TBIView info

Post by Mrx »

I prefer mounting backup with TBIHD, with "fake" write permission's (i.e. original doesn't get modified) - Essentially it is like your backup is connected disk, but not changed + you can use what-ever file manager etc. OS sees

Have other SW for versioning.P.S. Just buy Image + BootIt - You won't regret it - One of the best backup software! Reliable - which is most important - Extremely flexible to make it do what you want - And, price is reasonable + support is excellent! Can't go wrong! Best-in-class!
Jeff H
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2026 2:48 am

Re: Basic TBIView info

Post by Jeff H »

I don't understand what you mean by this: "TBIHD, with "fake" write permission's (i.e. original doesn't get modified)". What original do you mean, and how is it modified without TBIHD?

I'm also not sure what you mean by "versioning". Is BootIt another IFW add-on?

- Jeff
Post Reply