New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions
New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions
Hi,
I have been using only the imaging in BIU to do my disk imaging, and in general, I have been doing only "Entire Disk" images, but I decided to try toi transition to using IFW for my imaging and just BIU just for partition management and boot management, so I just bought a new license for the "full bundle".
I'm just starting to use the IFW, but I have a question: I think that even after transitioning, I would like to do image restores using the Imaging in BIU.
Will I be able to do that, i.e., if I make do an image of the entire drive where Windows 11 is, using IFW, and later have to restore the entire disk, can I just use BIU/imaging in BIU to restore the entire disk?
Also, FYI, when I've been imaging I usually have done "just" validate and not byte-for-byte, and that was mainly because I think byte-for-byte validation takes a lot longer and I am wondering is that still the case now since I am now using IFW for the imaging?
Thanks,
Jim
I have been using only the imaging in BIU to do my disk imaging, and in general, I have been doing only "Entire Disk" images, but I decided to try toi transition to using IFW for my imaging and just BIU just for partition management and boot management, so I just bought a new license for the "full bundle".
I'm just starting to use the IFW, but I have a question: I think that even after transitioning, I would like to do image restores using the Imaging in BIU.
Will I be able to do that, i.e., if I make do an image of the entire drive where Windows 11 is, using IFW, and later have to restore the entire disk, can I just use BIU/imaging in BIU to restore the entire disk?
Also, FYI, when I've been imaging I usually have done "just" validate and not byte-for-byte, and that was mainly because I think byte-for-byte validation takes a lot longer and I am wondering is that still the case now since I am now using IFW for the imaging?
Thanks,
Jim
Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions
Wow! Just finished first entire disk image backup and it was much faster, compared to using the image that is in BIU! (~40+ minutes vs. ~90 minutes).
Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions
Hi,
It looks like when the IFW was installed, it created a directory on the F: drive in Windows, /TeraByte_TBI_Backups, but I can't seem to remove that directory.
Does anyone know how to remove that directory?
Thanks,
Jim
It looks like when the IFW was installed, it created a directory on the F: drive in Windows, /TeraByte_TBI_Backups, but I can't seem to remove that directory.
Does anyone know how to remove that directory?
Thanks,
Jim
-
Bob Coleman
- Posts: 877
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm
Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions
Yes.ohaya1000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 7:24 pm
I'm just starting to use the IFW, but I have a question: I think that even after transitioning, I would like to do image restores using the Imaging in BIU.
Will I be able to do that, i.e., if I make do an image of the entire drive where Windows 11 is, using IFW, and later have to restore the entire disk, can I just use BIU/imaging in BIU to restore the entire disk?
-
Bob Coleman
- Posts: 877
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm
Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions
I think so.ohaya1000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 7:24 pm
Also, FYI, when I've been imaging I usually have done "just" validate and not byte-for-byte, and that was mainly because I think byte-for-byte validation takes a lot longer and I am wondering is that still the case now since I am now using IFW for the imaging?
-
Bob Coleman
- Posts: 877
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm
Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions
You might find that IFL will be even faster.ohaya1000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 7:46 pm Wow! Just finished first entire disk image backup and it was much faster, compared to using the image that is in BIU! (~40+ minutes vs. ~90 minutes).
-
Bob Coleman
- Posts: 877
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm
Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions
I think that might be because you included installing ProtectIt during the installation. I think if you re-install without including ProtectIt you may then be able to delete the directory, but I'm not 100% sure about all the details of this.ohaya1000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 8:10 pm
It looks like when the IFW was installed, it created a directory on the F: drive in Windows, /TeraByte_TBI_Backups, but I can't seem to remove that directory.
Does anyone know how to remove that directory?
Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions
Bob,
Thanks.... I don't remember seeing anything about Protectit, but that may be what is happening. Right now I cannot even see or access the .TBI file from IFW anymore.
Does TBU still have someone from support monitoring these forums? Will they respond?
Thanks,
Jim
P.S. You suggested re-install - but do I need to UN install first, before I RE-install? Or do I JUST do a re-install?
Thanks.... I don't remember seeing anything about Protectit, but that may be what is happening. Right now I cannot even see or access the .TBI file from IFW anymore.
Does TBU still have someone from support monitoring these forums? Will they respond?
Thanks,
Jim
P.S. You suggested re-install - but do I need to UN install first, before I RE-install? Or do I JUST do a re-install?
Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions
Hi Bob (et al),Bob Coleman wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 8:16 pmYes.ohaya1000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 7:24 pm
I'm just starting to use the IFW, but I have a question: I think that even after transitioning, I would like to do image restores using the Imaging in BIU.
Will I be able to do that, i.e., if I make do an image of the entire drive where Windows 11 is, using IFW, and later have to restore the entire disk, can I just use BIU/imaging in BIU to restore the entire disk?
I just found the IFW manual on the TBU website, and I was looking at what it had about restoring, and it didn't seem like it mentioned using BIU to restore an image, so I just wanted to confirm whether that (using BIU and the Image for UEFI that is with BIU to restore a .biu file made by IFW) actually is a supported option? Have you actually been able to boot into BIU, then do an "entire disk" restore from a .BIU file that you had made via IFW?
I am not meaning to doubt, but I wanted to know for sure, if possible.
Thanks,
Jim
Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions
Jim. you can use IFW, IFL or BIU to restore your images. Definitely.
You can create your images in that protected folder or in any other folder of your choice.
You can create your images in that protected folder or in any other folder of your choice.