Will upcoming MS Update changing Secure Boot Certs affect BIU?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal, BootIt UEFI and PartWork for Windows
Post Reply
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Will upcoming MS Update changing Secure Boot Certs affect BIU?

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

I am a BootIt UEFI user on Windows 11 Pro and have seen Microsoft's recent announcements regarding the Secure Boot certificate updates being rolled out through Windows Update in 2026 (see this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman ... next-week/).

My system currently boots through BootIt UEFI first, with Windows Boot Manager as a secondary boot option.

Has Terabyte Unlimited tested BootIt UEFI with the new Microsoft Secure Boot certificate updates? Are there any known issues, recommended updates, configuration changes, or precautions that BootIt UEFI users should take before applying these Windows updates?

Thanks,
Jim
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Will upcoming MS Update changing Secure Boot Certs affect BIU?

Post by TeraByte Support »

As long as "Microsoft UEFI CA 2011" for 3rd parties stays in place, BIU will boot with secure boot enabled. I think the plan, at this time, is to leave it in place and only remove " Windows Production PCA 2011" which Windows uses, so all your older Windows version will break. Based on customer reports after installing the preview update, BIU still booted okay, but some have decided to just disabe secure boot.

We have our shim for Image for Linux in the approval process to be signed so when they do pull out the aforementioned certificate, you'll be able to choose which one you want to use when creating the IFL boot disk.

There is potentially more to come, but no additional information will be posted publicly. No additional details to be given either, just wait for the update which hopefully will be this week.
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: Will upcoming MS Update changing Secure Boot Certs affect BIU?

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

For me, I think all the Windows machines that I currently use have been upgraded to Win11 Pro, and I only use the Image that is installed with BIU, so I think that I currently don't use Image for Linux, so I think that I am ok, right?

I am having a separate weird problem with BIU with Windows 11 Pro, but I will post about that separately.

Thanks again!

Jim
Ludwig
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2024 12:37 pm

Re: Will upcoming MS Update changing Secure Boot Certs affect BIU?

Post by Ludwig »

Have today installed Win 11 pro update KB5089573 26200.8524
Secure boot is enabled
Seems to have no BIU problems
Ludwig
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: Will upcoming MS Update changing Secure Boot Certs affect BIU?

Post by ohaya1000 »

Actually I just got caught with this MS update :(! I've been doing a bunch of imaging testing with BIU, so I was rebooting a lot of times tonight, and I think I must've had really bad timing because at one point my Dell VOS laptop started booting to a black screen.

I ended up having to pull the battery and hold the power button down for a minute, then put the battery back and then luckily the machine started booting again.

Thank YOU Microsoft :(....!

Jim
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: Will upcoming MS Update changing Secure Boot Certs affect BIU?

Post by ohaya1000 »

FYI, this is the MS update that caused the problem (for me) - 2026-06 Security Update (KB5094126) (26200.8655) - date of install was June 10, 2026.

Also, FYI, after the MS update, I have since also gotten a BIOS firmware and TPM firmware update from Dell for this Vostro (installed each individually and in that sequence) and the laptop still boots and runs ok.

Jim
Post Reply