Hi,
I have a tower PC that has a B650 GAMING X AX V2 mobo in it, and have BIU V2.09 installed, and Windows 11 Pro is the only boot item in the BIU Boot menu.
I have fast boot disabled.
I am having a problem where after I set the boot order in the mobo BIOS to "Boot UEFI" as the first item, and "Windows boot manager" as the second item, and then do Save & Exit, for some reason the boot order in THE BIOS is changing such that the "Windows boot manager" becomes the first item in the BIOS boot order when I do any reboots after that.
This seems to be happening kind of randomly, i.e., sometimes the order gets switched and sometimes it doesn't get switched. I have done a bunch of testing and I am not able to find a consistent pattern.
To be honest:
- I have had this tower for a couple of months, but mainly I just keep it running (it hosts a bunch of Virtualbox VMS) so I rarely rebooted the machine, so I kind of didn't notice that it was booting directly into Windows 11 Pro instead of into directly Windows.
- I actually am not 100% sure whether this is happening because of BIU (V2.09) or because of maybe the Gigabyte BIOS (I have the latest mobo BIOS).
Has anyone had a problem like this? Any ideas why this might be happening?
Thanks,
JIm
Strange problem with B650 GAMING X AX V2 mobo and BIU: BIOS Boot order keeps changing
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Strange problem with B650 GAMING X AX V2 mobo and BIU: BIOS Boot order keeps changing
For one, you'd want to disable "Fast Startup" in (all) Windows, not "Fast Boot" in the BIOS. When you shutdown with fast startup, it's lying to you, it's actually hibernating and leaving file system unclean, you'd want to ensure you boot directly back to windows. That is the only time that should happen, but certain motherboards seem to have a mind of their own, particularly the older ones, for some of those you can set it to use a generic disk drive which seems to be more stable than an individual boot item.
Re: Strange problem with B650 GAMING X AX V2 mobo and BIU: BIOS Boot order keeps changing
This is a fairly newish mobo. Can you clarify what you meant by "set it to use a generic disk drive"? I think the BIOS was only offering "Boot UEFI", "Windows Boot Manager", and "UEFI OS", and "Disabled".
And also, my apologies, but I meant to say that I have "Disable Fast Startup" button disabled on the partition in BIU.
And also, my apologies, but I meant to say that I have "Disable Fast Startup" button disabled on the partition in BIU.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Strange problem with B650 GAMING X AX V2 mobo and BIU: BIOS Boot order keeps changing
It depends on the BIOS, some have the hard drive itself like traditional BIOS had, in your list, the UEFI OS sounds generic (boot the \efi\boot\bootx64.efi from the EFI system partition).
Re: Strange problem with B650 GAMING X AX V2 mobo and BIU: BIOS Boot order keeps changing
FYI, I've disabled the UEFI OS choice because I wasn't sure what it was for/doing.
Re: Strange problem with B650 GAMING X AX V2 mobo and BIU: BIOS Boot order keeps changing
I've had weird booting issues with a Gigabyte B650 AORUS similar to what you have encountered No rhyme or reason and sometimes Win 11 even wants to do "disk checking" which I don't allow. One thing I did recently which has cut down on the frustration is to make sure after I reactivate or reinstall BIU I reboot, go back into the BIOS and make sure the "booting" page shows boot items in the proper sequence. If not I fix that but either way I always "save and exit" to make sure BIU is first in line.
For some reason if I let my guard down when checking proper boot order, invariably one of the LAN drivers (Ipv4 or Ipv6 PXE )try to take over the first boot item.
If it starts acting wacky again I will disable PXE and wake on lan stuff. But really, I don't know why the board is doing this. I checked memory and it is fine.
For some reason if I let my guard down when checking proper boot order, invariably one of the LAN drivers (Ipv4 or Ipv6 PXE )try to take over the first boot item.
If it starts acting wacky again I will disable PXE and wake on lan stuff. But really, I don't know why the board is doing this. I checked memory and it is fine.
Re: Strange problem with B650 GAMING X AX V2 mobo and BIU: BIOS Boot order keeps changing
Plain,
Thanks for responding.
I already had set the boot order in the BIOS settings, several times, and did Save and Exit.
I guess I am fortunate that I only have on OS (Win11 Pro) on this machine, so if it skips BIU it ends up on Windows 11 Pro
, so I only have to get into the BIOS when I actually want to use BIU or when I do imaging (I use the Image that is with BIU for imaging).
Thanks,
Jim
Thanks for responding.
I already had set the boot order in the BIOS settings, several times, and did Save and Exit.
I guess I am fortunate that I only have on OS (Win11 Pro) on this machine, so if it skips BIU it ends up on Windows 11 Pro
Thanks,
Jim