Ghost Menu Entries

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal, BootIt UEFI and PartWork for Windows
odos
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 am

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by odos »


OHKaaay an update.

I’ve spent a few days testing various things on my system and what I found was

1) It made no difference ensuring all my OS partitions had the rename option selected
2) It made no difference removing/deleting the script I was using.
3) Even with both of those things done together I still got ghost entries appearing in my Bootit menu.

Whilst thinking about what was happening, one thing I realised that was not standard on my system was that I had ( as always) renamed the indexed Windows bootloader directories on the EFI partition changing them from Microsoft.001, 002 .003 etc to something more meaningful so I knew which partition they referred to.

I changed them back to Microsoft.001, 002 .003 etc a couple of days ago and I have not had a single ghost entry appear in my Bootit menu since.

Why this should be I have no idea as my system has been running fine with the altered directory names for quite some time, the only thing I can think could possibly have affected it is the latest windows 11 update as I believe the problem started after that was installed a couple of weeks ago but my memory is a little bit hazy about that.

So anyway, net result, no ghost menu entries have appeared for a few days so hopefully it’s cured.

Odos
Ludwig
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2024 12:37 pm

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by Ludwig »

Hello odos
Which program did you use to rename bootloader directories in the efi partition ?
Thanks Ludwig
odos
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 am

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by odos »


Hi Ludwig
all I did was use Partition Work 2 to change the EFI partition type to normal data and assign a drive letter to that partition. Sometimes you have to reboot before windows will let you access the partition.

Once the Partition appears as drive open the drive and simply right click the bootloader directory you want to rename then select rename and enter the new name just like renaming any directory.

Once you have renamed what you want renaming just use Partition Work 2 to change the partition type back to EFI system partition. Now reboot.

IMPORTANT
Before trying to start any OS you’ve renamed the directory for you must start the Edit Boot Menu in BootIT UI and change the Boot File box to access your renamed directory.

Hope this is understandable and helps

Odos
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by Brian K »

A quicker method is to rename the directory in BIU. Use tbexplo.tbs in the Run menu.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by TeraByte Support »

or better, don't mess with the names so that BIU can manage the directories.
Post Reply