Ghost Menu Entries

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal, BootIt UEFI and PartWork for Windows
odos
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 am

Ghost Menu Entries

Post by odos »

Hello, I have a rather strange problem and I’m hoping someone can shed some light on what is happening.

My system is Asus ROG Strix Z590 with Intel core I7 processor, Nvidea Geforce 1060 graphics card, Philips 4k monitor and 6 NVME drives. The only other things connected aside from Ethernet are my Logitech USB keyboard and trackball. I’m using BootIT UI 2.10 and running two windows 11 Pro installations, one windows 10 pro installation and one Linux Mint on a single 1TB NVME drive under UEFI.

Now the strange thing is that everything works fine except that sometimes, not always but most times, when I start/reboot the machine a new entry named Microsoft appears in the BootIT menu. This entry is just garbage and if selected drops you into a blue screen of death. I ignored the extra entries for a couple of days and ended up with 5 extra Microsoft entries in the menu.

The NVME was a new drive when I installed the OS’s and I’ve tried other drives with the same result. I’ve tried removing all but one drive. I’ve tried changing the drive to other slots and only having one OS installed. I’ve tried clearing the drive many times, reinstalling BootIT UI and reinstalling the OS’s, nothing seems to stop the ghost Microsoft entries appearing in my BootIT menu.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for reading
Odos
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by TeraByte Support »

how are you boot items configured .. particularly the check boxes.
Ludwig
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2024 12:37 pm

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by Ludwig »

Have the same problem with ghost entries
My system uses windows 11 pro 25H2 and BootitUEFI 2.10

As you can see with the picture the first five lines is what I use
The last two lines with "Microsoft" are the unwanted ghost entries

The problem exist since three weeks with an update for Windows 11
After every boot to Windows 11, a new ghost entry exist after starting with BootitUEFI

Microsoft sees no BCD or windows bootmanager and so it added a additional entry
This new entry "Microsoft" is garbage and can not used

My solution to the more and more entrys after every boot
I have to delete this additional entry
Thats annoying, but I have no other chance to this problem

Solution
Because Windows added that entry every new boot
Can BootitUEFI delete that ghost entry, which wrong comes from windows ?
Thanks
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by TeraByte Support »

The actual entry details not the menu itself, what will show how it is configured.
Ludwig
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2024 12:37 pm

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by Ludwig »

Here you can see how I configured
The correct "Windows 11" and the error added "Microsoft"
With what other info can I help you more ?
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0569.jpg
IMG_0569.jpg (65.01 KiB) Viewed 66111 times
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by TeraByte Support »

You're missing the "rename directory" option.
odos
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 am

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by odos »


You guys are good. I enabled the rename option on both my windows 11 installs and after half a dozen restarts/reboots I’ve not had a single ghost menu entry appear.

Thanks :D :D :D :D :D
Odos
odos
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 am

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by odos »

Other strange happenings, I posted this to the forum earlier today and it showed up when I checked the forum post but it has since seemed to have disappeared into an internet black hole.

Whoops, spoke too soon, ghost Microsoft entries have started appearing again. Attached is a photo of my setup screen.

Odos

Screen.jpg
Screen.jpg (248.78 KiB) Viewed 66064 times
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by TeraByte Support »

one of them doesn't have rename directory then. or your script is renaming things.
Ludwig
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2024 12:37 pm

Re: Ghost Menu Entries

Post by Ludwig »

Halleluja for the terabyte support
The solution is enable "rename directory" on all my four configurations
Thanks for great support nice job
Ludwig
Post Reply